I don't get the humor to South Park, what am I missing?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched the 1999 movie, having not seen the show much before. So I go into it as a newcomer. I technically get a lot of it, and there are quite a few funny parts here and there. But most of the humor I found to be just really cheap shots, and I was laughing at the movie more than worth it. Just laughing at it in a sad, eyerolling way, cause I can either laugh or cry.

I mean the movie has such stupid immature cheap shots, such as a gay satan and saddam... That kind of material could be funny, in the hands of another writer/director, but they don't do anything good with it, and it's just a bunch of cheap jabs, that you pretty much see in any depressing relationship in real life.

That's just one example, but I fount it be a big eyeroller and not in a laugh with it sort of way. What did I miss, since the franchise has so many fans?

I find South Park hit or miss. There are certain episodes that are hilarious, but most if it is kinda meh. Check out the Imagination Land episodes.

The movie isn't that great to be honest, I think it's better received in 22 minute bursts than a feature length film. It's kind of telling as long as the shows been running it only got the one movie.

I watched some of the tv series a long time ago when no.1 son was watching it. i found some of it quite funny. My favourite episode was the one where they went to the rainforest, which i thought hilarious. But i haven't watched it probably for fifteen years or more now, and don't seem to miss it, so i can't have found it that hilarious.

It got alot better directly after the movie. The first three seasons are alot more childish and more about the kids being kids, it got alot better went it ventured into (heavy-handed) satire from Season 4 on more often. It's not for everyone though, it's very crude particularly the early seasons.

Humour is extremely subjective so I wouldn't ever worry about not finding something funny that others rave about - for example when my wife falls over in the snow and ice I find it absolutely hilarious but apparently for her it's not even remotely amusing

It got alot better directly after the movie. The first three seasons are alot more childish and more about the kids being kids, it got alot better went it ventured into (heavy-handed) satire from Season 4 on more often. It's not for everyone though, it's very crude particularly the early seasons.
This. There's funny stuff all throughout the series, but I saw a little and kind of dismissed it at first, because early on most of the humor is just the contrast. "Ha ha, kids swearing like adults." There are little glimpses of comedic brilliance even then, but less of it.

Camo's definitely right that the series became more overtly satirical, and a lot cleverer, after the first few seasons, and the movie is a lot more like those first few seasons.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay. Well I am still at odds, I don't know if I like it or not, cause I was laughing quite a bit, but at the movie, rather than with it per say. As for the whole kids swearing like adults being funny, that can only carry on for so long. It probably would have been funnier if the kids were placed in more adult situations, rather than petty language only. I guess a lot of is funny but a lot feels very petty to me.