Can we talk about how little the Oscars matter?

Tools    

Adults have always gone to see movies made for adults. The reason tent poles do the money is they are made to appeal to a very broad demographic, so that's who go to see them. There has always been room for all types of films, and always will be.
I don't want to sound like an alarmist or over-generalize anything, but the top 10 grossing movies are increasingly made for children. Something as niche as Moonlight winning an Oscar definitely promotes it to the general public more. It boosts the sales of independent production that can't generate hype with Disney-sized marketing budgets. That's my silver lining even if it is an arbitrary institution with questionable standards.

Sounds to me like you think Best Picture doesn't matter...I tend to agree with that. But the oscars are more than just the Best Picture, Original Screenplay and Cinematography are two categories that often have the true BP each year.. for example.

WIngs/Sunrise
How Green Was My Valley/Citizen Kane
Gentleman's Agreement/Black Narcissus
Around the World in 80 Days/The Red Balloon
Gigi/The Defiant Ones
Tom Jones/Hud
Sting/Cries and Whispers
Terms of Endearment/Fanny and Alexander
Forrest Gump/Pulp Fiction
English Patient/Fargo
Shakespeare in Love/Saving Private Ryan

I love the Oscars, and usually look forward to them every year, depending upon who is hosting.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Asimov

additional points
there are at least some members who vote for movies the haven't even seen. You can argue it's just two, but I think the
evidence points to systematic.
All the same, two Oscar voters privately admitted that they didn't see "12 Years a Slave," thinking it would be upsetting. But they said they voted for it anyway because, given the film's social relevance, they felt obligated to do so.
link

Kevin smith on having to run a campaign to get oscar noms source
The Oscars are coming up. How do you feel about them? Do you think they're a legitimate barometer of what's actually good? [Laughs] That's so weird to say because I know that's the common consensus, but "good" is different for everybody. I wanted to run Michael Parks from "Red State" for an Oscar this year, and I was told I'd need $250,000 minimum to do that. We thought we were eligible for SAG Awards, but it turns out that you have to actually submit to the SAG Awards, even if you're a SAG member, which doesn't make sense to me. And then the Golden Globe people didn't want to give Michael Parks consideration because we didn't screen the movie for them specifically when the movie was out in theaters, but it never was out in theaters so it was kind of ridiculous. You have to jump through these ridiculous little rings to even be considered, and then it's a popularity contest around who has the most money to run.

That $250,000 figure is pretty shocking. What's that for, just campaigning? Campaigning. In order to get nominated, man, you've got to take out ads, you have to have these weird parties where you're introducing everybody. I've been to so many of these, where people are like, "We're having a party to introduce people to this person!" Like one year they did it for Ben [Affleck] for "Gone Baby Gone," and I was like, "Why do I have to get introduced to Ben Affleck? I know him! Everybody knows him!"

But it's a 'When it's time to vote, remember us' kind of thing. It requires campaigning. But I don't know. I don't care. I'm not in it for the awards. I've got some, it's always nice being recognized. But the SAG thing really bugged me. It's like being in high school in this business, man, and winning an award is like getting elected for major office. You've got to be popular, you've got to polish the apple, keep your nose clean, don't pick fights, don't be like "Hey, this ****'s too expensive!"
Without trotting yourself out at weird little parties? It's campaigning. It's literally like running for office in high school. Some people have the constitution for it. Harvey [Weinstein] is a master at it. I remember back in the day, there was some awards buzz for "Chasing Amy." It didn't get an Oscar nomination or anything like that, but there was some buzz for it, and Joey [Lauren Adams] got a Golden Globe nod. So Harvey put Joey out to do interviews, and it was all about going to old age homes for actors who hadn't worked in a while but they're still members of the Academy. It's a skill, man. There are people who are paid to run Oscar campaigns. I know people like to think that everything in life's a meritocracy, but, like everything in life there are experts behind it who know how to work the system. And believe me, it's not that the people who are up for these awards don't deserve it. Of course not! These are all wonderful performances.
Disclaimer: I actually thought 12 years deservet he win, unlike the completely inferior and manipulative movie Crash.

They mean nothing to me, this was the first year I was even aware of it because I'm on this forum

You can't win an argument just by being right!
They mean nothing to me, this was the first year I was even aware of it because I'm on this forum

I think they're a crashing bore and have to laugh at all the look alikes they have to put bums on seats because no doubt everyone is at the bar the whole time until their own category is announced. This year was fun because of the whacky trio here covering it, nd then there was the big oopsy.

Welcome to the human race...
Sounds to me like you think Best Picture doesn't matter...I tend to agree with that. But the oscars are more than just the Best Picture, Original Screenplay and Cinematography are two categories that often have the true BP each year.. for example.
I've heard this "true BP" thing get said about the Best Editing award as well, though the fact that it went to Hacksaw Ridge this year makes me doubt it.

There's always someone/some film i want to win an Oscar every year. This year was Mahershala Ali who is pretty much my favourite person now, the year before Brie Larson/Morricone, etc. Obviously i don't actually care but i like the history of the oscars and i like people i like being awarded for their work even though it is ultimately meaningless.

Edit: I read this back and the end is such a downer May as well have said "we are all going to die one day you know" haha.

I don't actually wear pants.
The thing with the Academy Awards is they're in the now, and kind of pander to the critics. Not many people remember Shakespeare in Love, but loads of people love Saving Private Ryan, but that's because of the campaigning. Happens all the time. Hindsight is 20/20, but the Academy doesn't have that luxury, so they go with what sounds good at the time.

I never really watched the Oscars. Some of the movies nominated, I have never even heard of. Also, I don't know how movies are nominated. Maybe someone can explain to me the process.

I never really watched the Oscars. Some of the movies nominated, I have never even heard of. Also, I don't know how movies are nominated. Maybe someone can explain to me the process.
Academy Awards are nominated by members of the Academy. When it comes to specific categories, the nominees are decided by people who are the experts in the respective categories - actors nominate the acting awards, directors nominate Best Director, writers nominate Best Screenplay, and so on. Best Picture is nominated by all the members. When it comes to voting on the winners, every member of the Academy gets to vote for each category regardless of their status.

Academy Awards are nominated by members of the Academy. When it comes to specific categories, the nominees are decided by people who are the experts in the respective categories - actors nominate the acting awards, directors nominate Best Director, writers nominate Best Screenplay, and so on. Best Picture is nominated by all the members. When it comes to voting on the winners, every member of the Academy gets to vote for each category regardless of their status.
Thank you for clarifying Iroquois. I was always wondering who were the ones involved in the the voting process.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thank you for clarifying Iroquois. I was always wondering who were the ones involved in the the voting process.
Same for me. Good explanation.

I really don't value the award that much, but it's hard not to reference it if a movie has gotten one since it's so hyped.

Last year special effects Oscar award given to Ex Machina instead of Mad Max: Fury Road really irritated me, as there is basically almost no real effects in the former, just her small partly robotic body. While Fury Road was a two-hour spectacle.

I really don't value the award that much, but it's hard not to reference it if a movie has gotten one since it's so hyped.

Last year special effects Oscar award given to Ex Machina instead of Mad Max: Fury Road really irritated me, as there is basically almost no real effects in the former, just her small partly robotic body. While Fury Road was a two-hour spectacle.
There seems to be this prevailing idea with awards that "Best ______" has to go to whatever film has the most ______, which I do reckon is a rather limiting idea of what the award can recognise. As much as I'd have liked it to go to Fury Road, I can at least respect and understand why it went to Ex Machina instead (certainly more so than the other three nominees). I contend that Ex Machina is its own spectacle, even if it isn't trying to be a bombastic epic on the same level as the other nominees. The tthing is that its effects work is actually supposed to be so low-key as to be barely recognisable as CGI, which fits with its story of an artificial being trying to pass for human. It even uses its blatantly digitised appearance to its advantage - sure, you know that what you're looking at is CGI, but it's constructed so seamlessly that the only reason you know it's fake is because you know that such advanced robots don't exist. To write that off as "basically almost no real effects" does it a considerable disservice.

Of course they don't matter, they're rigged.

The winner is based on a bidding process.

Which ever studio bids the highest wins.

Mainstream audiences don't watch boring Oscar movies.

And as you pointed out they are culturally irrelevant. I haven't herd of any of these Oscar winning films listed.

Except for Platoon which I haven't seen and Rain Man which is a great movie.

But even those 2 films aren't very relevant anymore.

The only Oscar winning movies that are truly still culturally relevant are Forrest Gump, Rocky and the Godfather movies.