Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Salesman (2016)

Incredible. You would have to look hard to find a film as tense as the last act of the film this decade. Farhadi definitely knows how to pace a film, and it slowly gets more tense by the minute. Gives you a lot to think about, in terms of revenge, forgiveness, and crime. Shahab Hosseini, and Taraneh Alidoosti are both outstanding. This is the first I've watched of Farhadi, but I'll definitely be checking out his other films after this.

Night of the Comet (Eberhardt, 1984)

A mishmash of Romero tropes with a feminine accent. The core protagonist is surprisingly likable and competent. Her military background isn't exactly organic, but her competitiveness is articulated early on with the arcade game which is rather sly. The biggest flaw of the film is no clear enemy. The zombies are in the background. The anarcho-punk stock boys come out of nowhere, though the leader is effectively captivating for his brief presence. The final boss, so to speak, just kind of appears in the last half hour. This problem is indicative of the disjointed, scatter-brain plotting throughout the picture. Despite that, it's an enjoyable B movie that captures the essence of the 80s right down to the poofy hair, synth score, and soft-focus.

Red Cliff

Well technically I just re-collecting some missing parts.
Back then - in the glory of dinasty warrior's days - I feel that I quite enjoyed these one but now it's feel less grittier(actually it's not - idk how) and less fun than before

Jeff Costello, glad you seemed to enjoy The Tingler. A favorite of mine from a long time.

Movie Max, thanks for the 4 popcorn bag rating for X-Men: Apocalypse as I'll be watching this, probably tomorrow night in my run-up to going to see Logan.

Lostonmulholland, thanks for your good words about Lake Mungo. I believed that I was the only one who had ever seen the movie, much less liked it.

Cricket, thanks for the review on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I've got that saved on my DVR and will be watching it soon.

Yam12, I agree with you mostly on The Wolverine. I'll be posting my view on it below.

Nausicaä, I give you rep for that awesome flying buzz saw gif.

Nestorio_Miklos, I agree with you totally on Drag Me to Hell. I'm no shrinking violet and I love almost all Sam Raimi films, but this wasn't one of them. I laughed at your descrption with
Let me give you a brief synopsis:
removable teeth prosthesis, saliva, sputum, insects, domestic fly, glass eye
. I was totally expecting diarrhea to come flying out of her corpse before the end. I do like Alison Lohman and Justin Long, and even agree that Lorna Raver made a great villain in Mrsl Ganush. But I don't like them enough to like this movie.

The Wolverine (2013)

Fine addition to the mutant series shows Wolverine in the past in WWII, being held in a Japanese prison camp where he watches a certain Japanese soldier with interest. When the Nagasaki A-bomb is dropped just across the river from the camp, Logan saves the soldier, Yashida, using his strength and healing powers.

Cut to years later when a pretty Japanese woman named Yukio (Rila Fukushima) has been sent to take him to Japan to "see an old friend," who turns out to be Yashida, who is very ill. Yashida offers to repay him for saving his life all those years ago. He teases Wolverine with the promise of leading a "normal life"---in other words, not having the healing power anymore, so he can live and die a natural life.

But not all is as it seems. There is a mysterious female American doctor hanging around Yashida, and Yashida has a tempestuous relationship with his son. Also in the mix are his granddaughter, Mariko (a beautiful Tao Okamoto), the Japanese gangsters the Yakuza, ninjas, assassins, etc. There is a super fight between Wolverine and several Yakuza on top of a speeding bullet-train that is eye-boggling. There is something mysterious going on with Mariko being betrothed to a Japanese businessman by her father. Another mystery involves a
WARNING: spoilers below
secret warehouse/factory near the side of a mountain.

A good installment for Wolverine with few mutants involved---notice I said few. We're not left totally without mutanthood (is that real word?) rearing its head. He does battle with a big baddie at the end, with Mariko and Yukio along for the ride, doing their part in battle. I really liked this one.

Legend in my own mind

12 Angry men (1957)

Really enjoyed this. So simple but with an underlying complexity.

Will review more thoroughly on my thread.

Unregistered User

Bottle Rocket (1996)

I'm really not the biggest fan of Wes Anderson and his style of filming and this didn't do much for me at all. It started off quite funny but that didn't last too long. Despite its short running time it quickly grew tiresome and although I quite liked the ending, it just wasn't enough.

Sabrina is an extremely funny and visually beautiful movie (thanks in part to Hepburn’s dress choices) that hold up to this day. Comedies from the 40s and 50s have a unique feel to them and they are a complete departure from what Hollywood now classifies as comedies. I came into this movie expecting one thing (since it had Bogart on the cover) and received a light-hearted comedy, that had me laughing throughout the entire movie and that’s why I love movies.

Trading places - 6 out of 10
Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone 2 out of 10
Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets 2 out of 10

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Now I'm interested in how many of these movies there are.

Suspect's Reviews

The Bicycle Thief

In post war Italy, a fathers only lifeline is the bike he has sold his beds sheets for to be able to work

Wanting to see this for quite a while and a few mentions here finally gave me the push and many thanks, very sweet movie and much to take away from, loved all the actors concerned, the leading actor and the little boy was brilliant, the latter more like a little man, completely surprised and heartened by the non perfect fairytale ending I was coming to expect, it made it so more real, brilliant 4/5

The Selfish Giant

"I'm a ****ing scrap man, me!"

Two thirteen year-old working-class friends in Bradford, UK seek fortune by getting involved with a local scrap dealer and criminal. Bleak and startling, heartfelt and an incredible jolting ending, I loved this 4/5

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Best of Youth - 7/10

The fifth and sixth hours were awful. The two characters (including the girl on the cover) Matteo and Giorgia were the most interesting, and don't have enough time or development. There was a lot of scene dissolving to not have to work (write), a few that I thought would be great scenes turned out to be duds with small-talk..

The Rundown (2003) 7/10
A good fun action comedy, great chemistry between The Rock and Seann William Scott. This Movie should of been a box office hit it had all the makings of one I wonder what happened?.

The Butterfly Effect (2004) 8/10
This was a very interesting and gripping film with a great premise, from start to finish there is always some crazy **** happening which is interesting to watch although the creepy material feels forced and not organic it's still wildly entertaining it is botch funny and creepy at the same time I wasn't sure how to feel at times. The casting was absolutely superb, I was very intrigued and impressed by Elden Hensons performance playing the 3 different versions of himself perfectly, The kids do a brilliant job especially the psycho kid. The scene where he beats up some guy in the theatre is brilliantly done. The editing as well was very well done. Ashton Kutcher does a great job in this film it's a shame he got himself typecast in ****** rom coms he could of been a great actor.