Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Predestination (Spierig Brothers, 2014)

Daybreakers is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I finally got around to seeing the more recent offering from the Spierig brothers. While it's a really fun thought exercise in time paradoxes, the 40 minute exposition laying out the contrived circumstances required to execute it really breaks the immersion and ruins the pacing. Everything is so telegraphed. Sarah Snook's magnetic performance kind of goes to waste, but the second half manages to salvage the entertainment aspect. I think there's a lot of unexplored thematic potential here that was never tapped into, thus it's a parlor trick instead of anything more meaningful.

Legend in my own mind

Platoon (2016)

Wow

Further thoughts on my review threads

This was my second Dreyer. I watched Ordet for the 5th Hall of Fame here years ago, all i really remember is i liked it. Should watch it again and check out his other stuff as i thought this was great.
Same here.
Ordet is definitely my favorite of the two - what a deep, brooding masterpiece. Need to see Vampyr and Gertrud next.

Welcome to the human race...
Smiles of a Summer Night -

This Bergman guy makes some pretty funny movies.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Philip Kaufman)

Flawed but hellishly entertaining. Never tire of this one.
The Scream Factory bluray is awesome.

Nocturnal Animals (Ford, 2016)

Tom Ford crafts an elaborate narrative in the meta to ponder how provocation encourages self-discovery, how we respond to art, and the symbiotic connection between cruelty and weakness. Michael Sicinski of ReverseShot aptly describes Ford's nightmare scenario as "paranoid fantasy straight out of Deliverance" linking it to out-of-touch classism, but Ford preemptively responds (admits defeat) with the role of the mother inadequately defending her bigotry. Ford can recruit the best actors on the planet, but he can't gel his superficial skill with his intellectual aspirations. Window dressing meticulously constructed is still just window dressing, and there's a pane of glass between me and everything I was supposed to care about in this picture.

Schramm (1993)

From the director of Nekromantik comes the story of a murderous psycho who looks back at his life as he lay dying. What he sees and what we see ain't pretty. It's only 65 minutes long and there's no fun in watching it. It is disturbing and disgusting, and in that way it is very effective. Certainly not for everybody.

⋆⋆⋆1/2 OUT OF ⋆⋆⋆⋆

This is seriously one of the most underrated gems out there.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

-"You know you smoke too much of that ****, that **** gonna rob you of your own ambition."
-"Not if your ambition is to get high and watch TV..."

a film directed by Quentin Tarantino, entertaining, enjoyable and strong. yet, the story was pretty predictable .. the music choices were amazing it adds a lot to the plot. also, some may say that De Niro was weak in this .. but I think he did just well sticking to his character as well as the other performances. It lasts for 2 hours n' half which could've been shorter but still well worth seeing.

8/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ladybird, Ladybird - 7/10

I've liked every Ken Loach movie I have seen (about 10) but I didn't like any of the characters in this movie. It started getting redundant towards the end. AND, she had 3 more babies!