The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yippy, my favorite movie. Halloween made the list. Number 17 is damn good, too.

I will compare my list with this one sometime soon. Not that anyone cares, but I want to anyway. Great work, Holden.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Finally caught the Podcast. Well done.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Finally got round to watching The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970). I think it would probably have made my list, had I seen it in time.

Oh, the 1970s..., decade that accomplished so much for liberated wankers of nowadays, yet in retrospect it seems the most self absorbed decade of all. So much so, that all the wanking accomplishments came as haphazard side effect of it's self important idealism rather than as fruits of sustained and disciplined efforts. None the less, it is the legacy Bill Clinton should rightfully attribute inspiration for his most treasured accomplishments. And I wager to guess, our world would not have Nicki Minaj masterpiece "Anaconda", without it.

We need to get someone to rep the first post in this thread, so that the post introducing the 1970s list hits exactly +70 rep. Do it!
Done!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Nice!!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There should be a way to view the most repped posts on the forum
There use to be a rep page attached to your user account. You could see a lot of stats and what not.

Suspect's Reviews

Enter The Dragon - fantastic ! deserves to be so high, if not higher. Bruce Lee introduced me to martial arts films as he did most people of that era . We didn't have the access to Asian films back then like we do now, and I was entranced. I didn't have Enter the Dragon on my list but I had Fist of Fury at my 8 and Way of the Dragon at no.24 as they were the very first martial arts films I ever saw . They were on a double bill in 1974. I saw them on a date with a pimply youth who didn't last the course, but Bruce Lee did and he sparked the interest in Asian films which has lasted all these years.

I agree. Dragon is a typical hollywood product with all the fancy stuff. It's my least fave, but still nice. The best part is humor, but the fights are amrtial arts - wise the worst. They just had to make a block buster.

Bringin th egirls.

- For me? You shouldn't have. But as you did, I'll take you, you,you , youn, you , you and you. It's been a long day.

Chinese connection (Fist of fury) is the darkest and most angry and probably has the best fights especially against Bob. My fave is Th ebig Boss which is thought his worst!

Of course they were. What other decades can touch either of those?
It's the 60s for me. Overall, musically and even film-wise. Hell, I know you'll hate this, but even if they made only 2001, or even that and a bazillion Star warses, it'd still be. Let's face it. The 60s are the decade of all the decades. But film-wise Rules would say 40s? And Raul 50s? Film-wise 70s really are objectively probably the best. Or 40s. To narrow it down, my absolute fave period is late 60s. The Graduate - 1970.

It made #89 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s (as well as #58 on the MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women) and landed atop the Sight & Sound poll today.
‘Jeanne Dielman’ Tops Sight & Sound’s 2022 Poll of the Best Films of All Time

Another decade, another Sight & Sound poll. On Thursday, the British magazine unveiled the 2022 edition of its long-running critics’ poll on the greatest films of all time, with Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles taking the top spot — the first film from a female director to achieve the honor since the poll began in 1952.

Directed by Belgian filmmaker Chantal Akerman and released in 1975, Jeanne Dielman is a three-hour, 20-minute film following the title character (Delphine Seyrig), a single mother and prostitute, as she carries out a monotonous daily routine that slowly breaks apart and collapses. Since its premiere, the film has been highly acclaimed as a landmark of feminist cinema. Previously, it ranked thirty-six on Sight & Sound’s 2012 edition of the poll, where it was one of only two films in the top one hundred from a female filmmaker; the other, Beau Travail by Claire Denis, is now ranked at number seven.

In celebration of its crowning as the greatest film of all time, Jeanne Dielman will be available to stream on BFI Player starting Thursday, marking the first time the film has been available to stream in the United Kingdom.

"Jeanne Dielman challenged the status quo when it was released in 1975 and continues to do so today. It’s a landmark feminist film, and its position at the top of the list is emblematic of better representation in the top one hundred for women filmmakers,” Sight & Sound editor-in-chief Mike Williams said in a statement.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/si...ts-1234786615/
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I dunno, I guess part of me likes the recognition it's getting but in some aspects seems laughable they chose this as the best of all time. I watched it a few years ago and parts of it have stayed with me so much so that I've included it in a personal 100 I want other people to see. Bought the criterion bluray but haven't made myself watch it again. I saw part of an interview the director did im assuming shortly after it's release and the way she described the meaning of the film stuck out to me, something universal not just gender based. Guess I'll have to crack open my copy and revisit.