Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

#31 - The War Room (1993) ~ February 11

I was looking for a documentary about politics to watch while eating my night meal and I ended up watching this rather famous documentary film about Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign.
It's not the most serious documentary I've ever seen about politics, but there's some fun to be had and it has a true-to-life feeling to it that I appreciated. James Carville is hilarious.

#32 - Wolf (1994) ~ February 12

It was watchable because of the performances and it had a few engaging atmospheric moments in it, but all in all, I didn't think this was a good film. It was predictable, a bit silly at times even and nothing really that interesting was done with the whole concept. I wouldn't recommend it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I love Stand by Me. For me it's one of the great films about childhood and friendship. And I remember liking Foreign Correspondent though a lot of Hitch's films have merged together in my memory as I watched a whole bunch of them for the first time in close proximity to each other. Is that the one that's got a great sequence featuring loads of umbrellas?

I love Stand by Me. For me it's one of the great films about childhood and friendship. And I remember liking Foreign Correspondent though a lot of Hitch's films have merged together in my memory as I watched a whole bunch of them for the first time in close proximity to each other. Is that the one that's got a great sequence featuring loads of umbrellas?
Yep. That's the one. Wonderful sequence indeed!

I haven't watched any films in the last three days, because I've been a little busy, but I'll get back to it soon!

I bought Fellini's Casanova and Truffaut's L'Homme Qui Aimait les Femmes on monday, so I'll definitely watch one of those two or even both over the weekend!

#33 - L'Homme Qui Aimait les Femmes a.k.a. The Man Who Loved Women (1977) ~ February 18

This is a balanced and yet very cutting look at the life of an obsessive womanizer who is writing his autobiography. It was my fifth Truffaut film. I'd only seen some of his earliest work so far.
I liked the ambiguous experience this film provided. The only thing I'm not too sure about is how the main character ends up. It's either too cynical or it's perfect. I felt ashamed for him. It's a very harsh and pathetic ending, but maybe it's exactly what he deserved... Maybe it's exactly who he was...

#34 - Tokyo Godfathers (2003) ~ February 19

I love all of Satoshi Kon's films and this one certainly wasn't an exception. His films have such a pleasant pace, while still surprising the viewer along the way with the brilliance of their structure.
Unfortunately he was only able to make four feature length films in his short life, but each one of them is a unique treasure. These are films that I know I'll be able to rewatch again and again.
Be sure to watch this extremely rich film! It shows us a glimpse into one of the greatest minds in animation we've had.

Miss Vicky nominated it for the Animated Hof. Here's my post that compiled all of the write-ups if you are interested in others thoughts on it - http://www.movieforums.com/community...13#post1598613

For the record mines is a mess haha. I remember not really knowing what to say about it despite liking it alot and just kind of rambling on haha. How would you rank Kon out of interest since he has such a small filmography? I'd go:

01.Perfect Blue (top ten animated film for me)
02.Milennium Actress
03.Tokyo Gofathers
04.Paprika (would have to rewatch this to be confident on what i like better out of this and TG)

I'm thinking about making Paranoia Agent my next twice a year basically Anime Show i try.

How would you rank Kon out of interest since he has such a small filmography?
1) Millennium Actress (Top 3 animated films of all time for me)
2) Perfect Blue
3) Tokyo Godfathers
4) Paprika

I have the same feeling as you about Paprika, though. It was the first Kon film I watched and I liked it at the time, but I owe it a rewatch to fully make up my mind about it. It's a pretty complex film to recollect as a whole after just one watch.

#35 - Hud (1963) ~ February 19

Two world views collide in this great southern drama. Paul Newman managed to be extremely magnetic while portraying this very appalling character, which of course makes him all the more believable. It's one of the many great performances in this beautifully looking panavision black and white film. I loved it!

I had Hud very high on my 60's list, top 5 I believe. If I knew you were watching it, I would have been confident that you would love it too.

#36 - Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia (2013) ~ February 23

An uncritical portrait of a fascinating man and his ideas about life and the world. The fact that it is so uncritical may be a good thing in this case. It gives us an insightful look inside the mind of the subject without any distractions. The viewer is smart enough to be critical himself. The film itself doesn't necessarily have to do it for him.

#37 - College (1927) ~ February 27

Admittedly, this is definitely a lesser Keaton film compared to the others I've seen of him, but I still found it a highly amusing experience to sit through. Keaton's idiosyncratic cleverness is still very present here. Loved the idea behind the ending!

#38 - Viva (2007) ~ February 27

A trashy tribute to the sexual revolution-era full of nudity, sex, rape and drugs. Just like her most recent picture, this Anna Biller film has some cool sets and costumes that bring the viewer in the right mood, but in my opinion Viva isn't in the same league as The Love Witch. It's much more dull and uninventive content-wise and in The Love Witch her style felt more developed and polished. Samantha Robinson is also a much more interesting actress than Biller herself.
If she hires the right actors and becomes a little bit more mature and focused (while still making large colorful eventful films as she does now), I can see her making a truly great film one day. The noticeable improvement between this picture and her newest release is definitely promising.

#39 - Silence (2016) ~ March 3

I'm a bit tired, so I don't really have time to write as extensively about this great film as I want to right now, but I thought it was a MAGNIFICENT piece of cinema. Scorsese proves once again that he is the greatest film artist alive today. Stunning picture! One of the great theatrical experiences I've had in my lifetime.