Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Tools    

Hogwarts Professor
Fantastic Beasts won an Oscar for Best Costume Design at the Academy Awards tonight. Think it also should've won the other category it was nominated for -- Best Production Design. Anyways, that's a pretty decent start for the spin-off series.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Fantastic Beasts won an Oscar for Best Costume Design at the Academy Awards tonight. Think it also should've won the other category it was nominated for -- Best Production Design. Anyways, that's a pretty decent start for the spin-off series.
First Oscar for any film related to the Harry Potter series.

Suspect's Reviews

First Oscar for any film related to the Harry Potter series.
Which to me is beyond understanding. The Oscars is a ceremony for American productions. Had Harry Potter been a franchise with American roots rather than British, it would've raked in the Oscar statuettes.

I believe all the Harry Potter movies were nominated in several categories in spite of not winning any, which shows that they did get some recognition at the Oscars. But I agree, difficult to take the Oscars seriously after none of the Harry Potter films won.

If I remember correctly, Suicide Squad took home the "Makeup and Hairstyling", which is not too horrible, but yeah, that's pretty much the only category I would be fine with it winning. What I cannot take seriously is how, looking at these categories, none of the Harry Potter films won in any of them.

The Oscars is a ceremony for American productions. Had Harry Potter been a franchise with American roots rather than British, it would've raked in the Oscar statuettes.
This is spot on. Also, fantasy movies in general don't tend to get a lot of recognition at the Oscars. Radcliffe himself hit the nail on the head:

"I don’t think the Oscars like commercial films, or kids’ films, unless they’re directed by Martin Scorsese. I was watching Hugo the other day and going, ‘Why is this nominated and we’re not?’"

This is spot on. Also, fantasy movies in general don't tend to get a lot of recognition at the Oscars. Radcliffe himself hit the nail on the head:

"I don’t think the Oscars like commercial films, or kids’ films, unless they’re directed by Martin Scorsese. I was watching Hugo the other day and going, ‘Why is this nominated and we’re not?’"
I just got the blu-ray set and gave them all a rewatch last month and was amazed how well they've held up.

That's awesome, planning on getting the full blu-ray set soon too. They really have held up brilliantly. Rewatched Half-Blood Prince a few days ago, and the cinematography and overall quality of the film is just top notch. They're all quality films, undervalued by Harry Potter fans themselves because so many have also read the books and think they're better. They're different mediums, and as such, the books and films should be treated differently.

That's awesome, planning on getting the full blu-ray set soon too. They really have held up brilliantly. Rewatched Half-Blood Prince a few days ago, and the cinematography and overall quality of the film is just top notch. They're all quality films, undervalued by Harry Potter fans themselves because so many have also read the books and think they're better. They're different mediums, and as such, the books and films should be treated differently.
Amazon had the full 8 disk set for $20.99 on sale and couldn't pass them up

It's not any of the tricked out sets like the unfolding box or the limited editions, it's one thick blu-ray case with a slipcover and all 8 disks inside.. it's a solid set though...But I recently upgraded to blu-ray and am constantly searching for deals as I have thousands of DVD's to upgrade.

It's sadly a relief when looking for something and find out it's not on Blu-Ray... Whew... on to the next...

I've been looking mostly at the unfolding box sets, yeah. The limited edition sets can be ridiculously expensive and go as high as $1000 I've seen. One of my cousins got a rare set worth around $1500, it's absolutely batcrap crazy how much some of them go for.

Yeah I saw a video for one set that looked like this trunk that unfolded and had had compartments and drawers and even secret compartments and thought "Oh that's cool.." then saw the $800 price and laughed saying and it can stay cool... way over there...

I'm already working with limited space for movie storage so I'm better off with the basic sets that are just a bit thicker than the average blu-ray cover anyways... if I started getting the huge box sets they'd be stacked up all over the living room

I notice a lot of those sets also don't have good protection for the disks, putting them in cardboard sleeves.. I prefer the disks more protected or at least less likely to get wear and tear scratches just taking them out to watch...

Every time I see this thread in the New Posts list my mind puts an extra 'r' into the title and the disappointment that ensues a microsecond later is just so whatever the opposite of awesome is

Every time I see this thread in the New Posts list my mind puts an extra 'r' into the title and the disappointment that ensues a microsecond later is just so whatever the opposite of awesome is
What on earth? You don't think mischievous Nifflers, adorable Bowtruckles, huge Erumpents and other fantastic creatures are awesome?! Gibberish!

What on earth? You don't think mischievous Nifflers, adorable Bowtruckles, huge Erumpents and other fantastic creatures are awesome?! Gibberish!
Compared to a (wrongly perceived) promise of a cornucopia of breasticles ..... yep all those are totally non-awesome. Word!

Compared to a (wrongly perceived) promise of a cornucopia of breasticles .....
That I can agree with. Because what is more awesome - or appealing, I should say, being the more appropriate adjective - than a pair of breasticles? If anything though, despite their inferiority to the bosoms, fantastic creatures do justify the awesomeness!

Yeah I saw a video for one set that looked like this trunk that unfolded and had had compartments and drawers and even secret compartments and thought "Oh that's cool.." then saw the $800 price and laughed saying and it can stay cool... way over there...
Me in a nutshell. Since we were talking about it earlier today, I bought a standard blu-ray set with all eight movies for a little over £25. As far as protection goes on the more advanced sets, yeah, I heard it sucks. Might as well go with a standard set.