The Young Pope

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Odd is good, Yods. Hell, I mean you're a green midget.

How catholic is it? Might seem like an absurd question but I had to drop the Borgias because I found it 'too catholic'.

Hmmm. I guess that depends on what you mean. Like, do you mean "Catholic" in the sense of portraying Catholicism positively, or just in the sense of being about it, or in the sense of being about its intricacies, or something else?

In the sense of being about it. I was educated by nuns and renounced my upbringing when I was 11. I dont dislike catholics (or any religious denomination; I just roll my eyes a bit if in film it has an overwhelming mood of catholicness (I just made that word up) and religious hypocrisy.

No offence intended to any catholics in the house.

Well, it's mostly "about" the main character in a broad narrative sense, but a lot of that has to do with his relationship with God, and pretty much all of the plot mechanics are exclusively about Catholic stuff. So you might not care for it.

I've got it. I was just about to make my morning ritual of coffee and it hit me about the Borgias - it was the pomp and ceremony, the rituals, the hypocritical attitudes, the dirge like hymns. just rubbed me up the wrong way.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The use of music in this show is also captivating. They mix all sorts of music and sometimes throw it in at odd spots where it doesn't seem to fit at first. But it's clearly all carefully chosen for effect. It's just a bit jarring to go from traditional, even classical music to modern folk or even heavy rock music in back-to-back scenes.

And of course, those opening credits...

Dani, I watched the first season of The Borgias and started maybe the first episode of the second before realizing I was watching it only to see Jeremy Irons act. Otherwise, it seemed full of unsympathetic, vile, backbiting, treacherous characters. I had no idea who I should have been rooting for because I disliked them all.

This show doesn't have that feel at all. Even the few power-hungry characters are sympathetic in spots. Most, though, are quite human and frail in believable ways.

Dani, I watched the first season of The Borgias and started maybe the first episode of the second before realizing I was watching it only to see Jeremy Irons act. Otherwise, it seemed full of unsympathetic, vile, backbiting, treacherous characters. I had no idea who I should have been rooting for because I disliked them all. .

Same for me, MsAus. I realised i was only watching for the sets and wardrobe. I couldn't connect with any of the characters at all.

Yeah, it's much more about people struggling with their imperfections and hypocrisies than anything else. That's kind of what I mean when I say it's not House of Cards. I don't mind a well-done show about destructive, ambitious people grabbing at power. It can be fun. But this definitely isn't that, even though it kind of seems like it's going to be in the early episodes.

OK this sounds like it would interest me. I like films about human frailty and flaws.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
So the New Pope is actually season two of the Young Pope, even though it says S1?

I can't tell you how much time I spent on that HBOGo page trying to figure this out

So the New Pope is actually season two of the Young Pope, even though it says S1?
Yes. Sorta makes sense if you see it, they're both limited series, even though it's clearly one story.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I just watched The New Pope tonight on HBO. It was ok. They could have done better with the soundtrack though. The Vatican and Rock music just don't mix well.

I just watched The New Pope tonight on HBO. It was ok. They could have done better with the soundtrack though. The Vatican and Rock music just don't mix well.
Haven't seen the new episode yet, but didn't they do this a lot with "season 1" (The Young Pope)?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Haven't seen the new episode yet, but didn't they do this a lot with "season 1" (The Young Pope)?
I didn't watch The Young Pope, but there's another episode of The New Pope tonight at 9pm on HBO.

Yeah, this is the style of the show (both seasons). It's the same show. If you don't like the music I'm afraid you're in for a lot more of it.

Personally I find it to be one of the more stylistically interesting and daring shows on television.

It was definitely a lot more interesting than the initial advertising made it sound to me. Need to catch up with the new season/episode today! Adding Malkovich can only be a good thing.

Watched the first ep of The New Pope last night, looking to see John Malkovich, but he has not yet appeared. The episode was really goofy and erratic, but I suppose they have to pave the way for Malkovich's entry. Don't know what they're going to do with J. Law. We'll see.

Presumably since the subject matter will not allow for HBO's typical language and sex infatuation, instead they give us..... quirk..