Movie Tab II

Tools    

Miss Vicky and I did a commentary to Vampire's Kiss. Neither of us had ever seen it before. We were experimenting with the idea of doing commentaries to movies neither of us had seen.

We were unprepared. But I loved it.

Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon, 1985)

Re-Animator fell victim to inflated expectations.

Props for your viewing selection though. I love Altered States and Street Trash.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Altered States features some wonderfully bizarre hallucinogenic sequences, but I was a bit taken aback by just how deep down the rabbit hole (or in this case, the caveman hole) the movie plunges. The plot ventures into pretty silly territory, yet the movie plays everything with such a straight face that it becomes borderline comical. Do I laugh? Do I take it seriously? William Hurt and Blair Brown deserve kudos for not stumbling over all the scientific jargon. A memorable mind-f*ck of a movie.
Seeing it is believing it. One of my top movies of all time.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Vampire's Kiss (Robert Bierman, 1988)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Hostel: Part II (Eli Roth, 2007)

Wyatt Earp’s Revenge (Michael Pfeifer, 2012)

A Thin Line Between Love and Hate (Martin Lawrence, 1996)

Friendly Persuasion (William Wyler, 1956)

Quaker father Gary Cooper searches for and finds his son (Anthony Perkins) after a Civil War battle lying next to a dead Confederate soldier.
General Spanky (Fred Newmeyer & Gordon Douglas, 1936)

Le Parc (Damien Manivale, 2016)

The Wounded Angel (Emir Baigazin, 2016)

Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967)

Miss Bonnie Parker (Faye Dunaway) introduces Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty) and herself to gas station attendant Michael J. Pollard who joins the gang as a driver.
The Gun That Won the West (William Castle, 1955)

The Nickel Ride (Robert Mulligan, 1975)

Crime + Punishment in Suburbia (Rob Schmidt, 2000)

WALL•E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)

About 700 years in the future on a desolate Earth, trash collector WALL•E falls for EVE who’s sent to Earth when WALL•E finds plant life. They both are transported back to a starship with the remnants of humanity that were sent away when Earth first started dying.
Hail Caesar (Anthony Michael Hall, 1994)

Never Let Me Go (Mark Romanek, 2010)
+
The Eternal aka Trance (Michael Almereyda, 1999)

The Great Santini (Lewis John Carlino, 1979)

”Bull” Meechum (Robert Duvall), nicknamed “The Great Santini”, is a veteran Marine pilot whose undisciplined service behavior forces his family to have to move often which causes a strain for his wife (Blythe Danner) and four children, especially the oldest son (Michael O’Keefe) who wants his dad’s respect but is repulsed by his authoritarian family behavior.
Coffee and Cigarettes (Jim Jarmusch, 2003)
+
Superstar (Bruce McCulloch, 1999)

The Land Before Time IX: Journey to Big Water (Charles Grosvenor, 2002)
+
Sabrina (Billy Wilder, 1954)

At the Paris cooking school, the Baron (Marcel Dalio) tells lovesick Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn) to stop looking like a horse (wearing a ponytail.)

Care for some gopher?
Super (James Gunn, 2010) -

Banlieue 13 District B13 (Pierre Morel, 2004) -

Csillagosok, katonák The Red and the White (Miklós Jancsó, 1967) -

Hoo-goong: Je-wang-eui cheob The Concubine (Kim Dae-seung, 2012) -
+

Care for some gopher?
Love Steaks (Jakob Lass, 2013) -

The Congress (Ari Folman, 2013) -
+

Take this rating with huge grains of salt. The movie went totally over my head and i definitely need to rewatch it.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Doug Liman, 2005) -
+

These movies have no business being this much fun and this humorous. Very glad they are though. My boys are the perfect age for them as well. Already looking forward to the Ninjago one coming up. This was my first official 2017 release. The beginning of the year is soooo slow.

Everything I want a Nicols film to be. He lets the story and characters speak for themselves. No need to add high drama, people's lives are dramatic enough without the lies. So subtle and sure handed. Which leads to two great performances. Looks really good and has a nice score as well.

A system of cells interlinked
Arrival

(Villeneuve, 2016)

Damn. I wish I would have watched this again before I submitted my sci-fi list, as I definitely would have moved it up quite a few slots from where I ended up placing it. When I left the theater the first time, I remember thinking Arrival was the type of film I enjoyed more affter I watched it than during the actual showing. Maybe a little knock on the pacing..I don't know. This time around, it was just perfect from first frame to last, and I was immersed completely in the vibe. One of the best science fiction films ever made. I might move this to
at some point. adding this to my favorites for now, too.

”33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee” (Art Fisher, 1969)
-
Up the MacGregors (Frank Garfield [Franco Giraldi], 1967)

Conagher (Reynaldo Villalobos, 1991)

Soaked in Bleach (Benjamin Statler, 2015)

Private investigator Tom Grant is still trying to reopen the Kurt Cobain “suicide” case because he feels it was botched by the police and his employer, Kurt’s wife Courtney Love, may have gotten away with murder. Done almost entirely in recreations but with the real words of those involved.
The Astronauts (Walerian Borowczyk & Chris Marker, 1959)

Universal Soldier: The Return (Mic Rodgers, 1999)

Klitschko (Sebastian Dehnhardt, 2011)

Girl Asleep (Rosemary Myers, 2016)
+

About to turn 15, fantasy-loving Greta (Bethany Whitmore) is afraid of growing up, especially when whom she considers her only friend, Elliott (Harrison Feldman) wants to be more than friends.
Tricked (Paul Verhoeven, 2013)

Masters of the Universe (Gary Goddard, 1987)

Wintervention (Max Bervy, 2010)

The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution (Stanley Nelson, 2015)
+

In-depth documentary about the controversial group of community activists and terrorists who were most influential in the ‘60s and ‘70s but stayed active for some 50 years.
What's the Worst That Could Happen? (Sam Weisman, 2001)

Best of the Best 3: No Turning Back (Phillip Rhee, 1995)

Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Gregory Nava, 1998)

Department Q: A Conspiracy of Faith (Hans Petter Moland, 2016)

A message in a bottle leads two detectives (Nikolaj Lie Kaas & Fares Fares) to search for two missing siblings from a religious sect who were kidnapped by a dark, disturbed serial killer (Pål Sverre Hagen).
Code Name: Carmen (Jean-Luc Godard, 1982)

Surfer, Dude (S.R. Bindler, 2008)

Every Time We Say Goodbye (Moshe Mizrahi, 1986)

Passion (Jean-Luc Godard, 1982)

Crammed with movie references (as usual), Godard spins the tale of Polish director Jerzy Radziwilowicz, whose heart isn’t in it, working in France on a TV production and having a relationship with Frenchwoman Isabelle Huppert.

Road to El Dorado

Barton Fink

Cryptic for the sake of it, but still enjoyable after all these years.

Mulholland Drive

Lynch's most entertaining flick. Goofy stuff like the hitman sub-plot is an obvious remnant of the film's television series origin and the romance between the leads is ridiculously over the top in it's presentation. But it's constructed in such a clever and meticulous that it's weaker elements are anemic in comparison.

Singing in the Rain

Wow, few movies make use color so intensely as this. The plot is flimsy as hell, but who cares? The entire production is so overloaded with energy and excitement.

Jackie

A great performance from Natalie Portman and not much else.

Hitchcock/Truffaut

Lego Batman Movie

Singing in the Rain

Wow, few movies make use color so intensely as this. The plot is flimsy as hell, but who cares? The entire production is so overloaded with energy and excitement.

That's a picture of the broadway musical. Not from the movie.

Four of the five Oscar-nominated documentary shorts - I already watched The White Helmets.
Extremis (Dan Krauss, 2016)

Watani: My Homeland (Marcel Mettelsiefen, 2016)

4.1 Miles (Daphne Matziaraki, 2016)
+
Joe’s Violin (Kahane Cooperman, 2016)
+

Holocaust survivor Joseph Feingold donates his violin to a NYC instrument drive and it ends up in the hands of Brianna Perez and changes her life.
American Ninja 2: The Confrontation (Sam Firstenberg, 1987)
-
American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (Cedric Sundstrom, 1989)

Long Way North (Rémi Chayé, 2015)
-
Piper (Alan Barillaro, 2016)

The little sandpiper is still learning about his home at the beach and how to fend for himself.
Fightville (Petra Epperlein & Michael Tucker)

Three Worlds (Catherine Corsini, 2012)

The Ernest Green Story (Eric Laneuville, 1993)
-
Rules Don’t Apply (Warren Beatty, 2016)

Eccentric, possibly mentally-ill Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty) has dozens of young ingénues on the payroll of RKO Pictures, but he seems especially interested in religiously-devout Lily Collins.
Give Us the Earth! (Gunther V. Fritsch, 1947)

Friday the 13th (Sean S. Cunningham, 1980)

Extreme Justice (Mark L. Lester, 1993)
-
The Wanted 18 (Amer Shomali & Paul Cowan, 2015)
-

A documentary(!) about Palestinians on a collective farm who buy 18 cows to keep from buying Israeli milk, but Israel declares that a “threat to national security”, so they keep the cows hidden. Here Goldie falls after hanging from a ceiling light in a house.
Canadian Bacon (Michael Moore, 1995)

The Art of Getting By (Gavin Wiesen, 2011)
+
The Watermelon Woman (Cheryl Dunye, 1997)
+
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Daniel Alfredson, 2009)

While Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) recovers from a gunshot to her head, journalist Michael Nyqvist must help her defense attorney [his sister] Annika Hallin to discover evidence for Lisbeth’s upcoming multiple-murder trial.

Welcome to the human race...
Westworld (Michael Crichton, 1973) -

Razorback (Russell Mulcahy, 1984) -

Week-end (Jean-Luc Godard, 1967) -

Tanna (Martin Butler and Bentley Dean, 2015) -

Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016) -

AVPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem (Colin Strause and Greg Strause, 2007) -

Tropical Malady (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004) -

Le gai savoir (Jean-Luc Godard, 1969) -

Burnt by the Sun (Nikita Mikhalkov, 1994) -

T2 Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 2017) -

Care for some gopher?
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (Fred Niblo, 1925) -

Frankenweenie (Tim Burton, 2012) -

Earthquake (Mark Robson, 1974) -

Lovelace (Rob Epstein/Jeffrey Friedman, 2013) -
+
Viridiana (Luis Bunuel, 1961) -

Dark Shadows (Tim Burton, 2012) -

Lathe of Heaven (1980)

A man constantly alters reality with his dreams. Pretty good, though I think a longer runtime and slower pace could’ve given more potency to such a world-changing story. There’s a great psychedelic bit at the end though.

Arrival (2016)

Aliens visit in giant black Pringles and communicate by subwoofer and coffee stain. Immersive. The first hour is amazing, but the mystique wore off a bit in the 2nd for me. I was hoping it’d stay in ambiguous territory and not resort to a giant explosion and plot twists.

Kafka (1991)

A little better upon second viewing. It’s not quite as bizarre as you’d expect from a movie called Kafka, but the mostly quiet atmosphere is sort of a mix between Welles’ Trial and early Coen Bros.

Tron Legacy (2010)

I didn’t care much for the action scenes or the lead, but the world is a spectacle. So pretty.

“… you’re messin with my zen thing man.” You can take JB out of the Lebowski, but you can’t take the Lebowski out of JB.

I Don't Want to Be a Man (Ernst Lubitsch, 1918)
+
The Red and the White (Miklós Jancsó, 1967)
+
American Fable (Anne Hamilton, 2017)
+
Eternal Love (Ernst Lubitsch, 1929)

In 1806 Switzerland, rebellious hunter John Barrymore and minister's niece Camilla Horn are in love but fall prey to other admirers.
Blindman (Ferdinando Baldi, 1971)

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Yuen Woo-Ping, 1978)

XX (Jovanka Vukovic, Annie Clark [St. Vincent], Roxanne Benjamin & Karyn Kusama, 2017)

Uptight (Jules Dassin, 1968)

After the assassination of Martin Luther King, Cleveland's black revolutionaries try to determine which one of them sold another out for money. L. to R.: Ruby Dee, Raymond St. Jacques, Dick Anthony Williams & Janet MacLachlan.
Downhill aka When Boys Leave Home (Alfred Hitchcock, 1927)

Sound Test for Blackmail (Alfred Hitchcock, 1929)

The Fighting Generation (Alfred Hitchcock, 1944)

Memory of the Camps (Sidney Bernstein & Alfred Hitchcock, 2015)

Bergen-Belsen concentration camp Dr. Fritz Klein stands in a mass grave of Holocaust victims.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (Dave Green, 2016)

A State of Mind (Daniel Gordon, 2004)

For Us the Living: The Medgar Evers Story (Michael Schultz, 1983)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood, 1976)

Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood) has an ominous way of entering a room.
The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists (Roy Allen Smith, 1996)
+
The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island (Charles Grosvenor, 1997)
+
Crossing the Line (Daniel Gordon, 2007)

Papillon (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1973)
+

Safecracker Henri Charrière (Steve McQueen) displays his ‘Papillon’ tattoo to identify himself in an attempt to escape from Devil’s Island.

The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (Charles Grosvenor, 1998)
+
Blood Out (Jason Hewitt, 2011)

Catch .44 (Aaron Harvey, 2011)

Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)

Hitch is the master of screen kisses, and here, with socialite Grace Kelly and photographer James Stewart, he’s got one of his most intense.
The Games of Angels (Walerian Barlowczyk, 1964)

The House on Skull Mountain (Ron Honthaner, 1974)
+
American Teen (Nanette Burstein, 2008)

Looper (Rian Johnson, 2012)
-

Old Joe (Bruce Willis) prepares to enter the time machine in 2074 to go back to 2044 to kill the Rainmaker.
Quintet (Robert Altman, 1979)

The Razor’s Edge (Edmund Goulding, 1946)

Strauss Fantasy (No Director Listed, 1954)
-
Transpecos (Greg Kwedar, 2016)

Things get really murky along the Texas-Mexico border in more ways than one for three U.S. border patrol agents (Johnny Simmons, Gabriel Luna & Clifton Collins Jr.)
Zig Zag (David S. Goyer, 2012)

Human Livestock (Akira Fukamachi [Minoru Inao], 1999)

The Colors of the Mountain (Carlos César Arbeláez, 2011)

Doors Cut Down (Antonio Hens, 2000)

Gay high schooler Israel Rodriguez enjoys cruising the restroom at the mall, but his father (Juanma Lara) is catching on.
Modus Operandi (Frankie Latina, 2010)
+
John Wick (Chad Stahelski, 2014)
-
The Shiver of the Vampires (Jean Rollin, 1971)
-
...And the Pursuit of Happiness (Louis Malle, 1986)
-

Malle travels around the U.S. in 1986 interviewing many immigrants – legal and illegal – and here’s where it seems like today – there’s a lot about Muslims and illegal Mexicans (here picking tomatoes for 40 cents a basket).

Welcome to the human race...
Alien 3 (David Fincher, 1992) -

Alien: Resurrection (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1997) -

The Ninth Configuration (William Peter Blatty, 1980) -

Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016) -

Patriots Day (Peter Berg, 2016) -

Blue Jay (Alex Lehmann, 2016) -

High Anxiety (Mel Brooks, 1977) -

Heavy Metal (Gerald Potterton, 1981) -

Fences (Denzel Washington, 2016) -

Hidden Figures (Theodore Melfi, 2016) -

Man, it's weird how so many of my ratings end up being 3s.

Quintet (Robert Altman, 1979)
Any particular thoughts on Quintet? I've read so much negativity, but I think it looks awesome. Do you think it'd appeal to someone with a taste for that kind of thing (dreary nihilistic sci-fi)?