User Tagging

Tools    

So, this, like the individual movie pages, is something I've wanted to do for a long time: user tagging. Like this: @Yoda

Nobody really wanted this until a few years ago, but with the rise of social media people started to expect it. At one point I made a go of adding this functionality, but ran into some hurdles, and since nobody was actually beating down the door, I moved on to other things. But the other day one of our new users (thanks, @Little Devil!) asked about it, and I thought: why not give it another go? And this time it went a lot smoother.

So you can now just type @SomeUsername and it'll tag the user and they'll get a notification about it, like they would with a new message or reputation. The much bigger deal, however, is that this also happens when you quote people. This should be a lot more convenient than having to dig through threads to see who's replied, and to what.

There are some edge cases, like Little Devil above: because he has a space in his name, I had to use the MENTION tag, which works like you'd expect: [*MENTION][/MENTION*], without the asterisks. Or you can click the new Mention button on the editor: to insert the code automatically.

You'll find a link to the Your Mentions page in the User CP, on the left.

Let me know if you guys run into any problems, or have any questions.

EDIT: if you'd rather not receive these notifications, just go to your Edit Options page. About halfway down, at the end of the Messaging and Notifications block, you'll see a "Block all notifications for quotes or tags?" option. Check that box, and you won't get any more notifications about being quoted or tagged.

At the moment, this option only suppresses them, so they'll still accumulate, in case you ever turn it back on. But I'll see about possibly turning them off so they only accumulate when not suppressed, and I'll also look into integrating this into the Ignore List.

Also, there's some advanced functionality here that allows people to be notified by email when this happens, too, if they want, and a few other things. We might get into that at some point, if anyone's interested, but I figured for now, let's just get the basics working. But speak up if you think this is something worth expanding.

How would you tag someone with a gap in their name?
Like, The Rodent for instance.
Rule #1: nobody ever reads the first post.
There are some edge cases, like Little Devil above: because he has a space in his name, I had to use the MENTION tag, which works like you'd expect: [*MENTION][/MENTION*], without the asterisks. Or you can click the new Mention button on the editor: to insert the code automatically.
@Camo Does this work actually?

Edit: Nah, didn't get a notification.
Self-tagging is ignored. And it'll make you go blind.

Guys i don't want to blow peoples minds here.. but what would the unregistered code do? Not even going to try it it'd probably open a black hole; well that or nothing.

Guys i don't want to blow peoples minds here.. but what would the unregistered code do? Not even going to try it it'd probably open a black hole; well that or nothing.
Seriously hoping it doesn't work anymore.