The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Rob a bank and you could VR Elite in that

Like it would make my 970 jealous?

'Paging Tatty for facts. That's factual Tatty-Owl to the information desk plz...'

Might be time for me to pick up a GTX 1060...I've put a new card off for too long!

Still on my 560Ti!
Yeah, I might be about due, too. Been just under two years since I bought the 960, and I think it's been about 16 months since I finally built the computer. Thinking it's time to get a new processor and graphics card at around the same time.

A system of cells interlinked
I am going to roll with the same proc for now unless I run into trouble after the vid card upgrade. Hopefully my i5 2500 has a bit more life in it.

Hello, does someone know about the open beta of For Honor? I'm just wondering if it mean it's free a specific set of days to try the game out and if it is, when, I saw people played this last weekend, still not sure if they bought it and if the beta is still on

Edit: I just found out what an open beta is, it is free and that the game is being release on febrary 14th, I lost another open beta

The People's Republic of Clogher
The 1060 looks to be the bang-for-buck card right now, along with the AMD 480. I've got the same cooler as the linked card on my 980ti and it's excellent. I'm usually brand agnostic when it comes to GPUs but my last two have been MSI and I'd definitely get another.

Might be worth checking out deals on 1070s though. My 980ti (which is similarly powered to the 1070) can't automatically run everything at 1080p/Ultra/60fps any more and the 1060 has less oomph. Depends if framerates are important, I guess, or if you're planning on a monitor above 1080p in the near future.

@tatmmw2 - The game's released tomorrow so I expect the Beta ends then. I've played it (the Beta) on console and PC and really like it. Don't think I like it enough to pay full price for what's essentially an online only game but the combat is really really meaty and satisfying.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Oh yeah, and for people looking to do a CPU upgrade as well, Intel has a new chip out this year which is supposed to be a significant step forwards from the 6000 series so it might be best to wait a few months.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm still loving my graphics card upgrade (thanks to advice from Tacitus and help from hubby). It's quite nice to just play a game and not have to worry if my card can handle it. Still getting used to that.

I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. The basic computer (mobo, processor, hard drive, DVD drive) are from August 2010, although everything else has been upgraded (OS, RAM, power supply, graphics card, monitor(s)). I'd carry over most of those upgrades to any new computer, but I'm surprised at how vital this still is. I do have Carbonite backup because that hard drive is going to be 7 years old this year, but I never think about parts failing.

Needless to say, I'll be whining in this thread (at least) when it does come time to buy a new computer.

Yeah I'm kinda embarrassingly smitten with my overclocked 970. So lush to be able to jump into nigh any new release and have it run on at least 85% fast and pretty (especially since I upped the CPU to a reasonable i5).

---

I should stop cussing Fallout's textures too - that's one of the things the default GEForce settings actually whack up nice and high:

Currently running around with the lowliest of all weapons, a .308 calibre pipe gun. Just one with an explosive Special that adds a nice bit of splashy damage. Add the ubiquitous ammo, and some grade 3 recoil and rapid fire mods, and it's a bit beastly

I should probably stop hauling around all the other weapons now... :/. (I'm still a bit confused by Specials & starred monsters though. I thought they were supposed to be one-try affairs, but I've died a few times to them and they still respawn. Maybe it's because I'm on the default difficulty. Currently I'm just artificially keeping things a tiny bit tasty by having my Endurance still at 3 stars . I can be taken out by a Murk blow or two, or a well-placed grenade, even with grade 2 combat armour. Keeps me skulking . Even if Codsworth's blasted atomic engines do nothing for my sneaking...)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
My dad just turned 64 on the weekend.

As gifts he got a PS4 controller, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty: Infinite warfare.
Dammit, my old man is 75, refuses to play anything more than Tetris, and doesn't remember accidentally getting me into gaming via the original Elite and Space Quest adventure games. (Which is a shame, as I reckon he'd love some modern versions of the same. Maybe once VR is affordable to the average human...)
We had a commodore 64 with a little game called Q-bert. Apparently my father had an issue. For real. Stuff you never realize because you sleep 10 hours a night as a kid. It might be the cause of him never being in the same room as a game nowadays.

We had a commodore 64 with a little game called Q-bert. Apparently my father had an issue. For real. Stuff you never realize because you sleep 10 hours a night as a kid. It might be the cause of him never being in the same room as a game nowadays.
Oh god. I REMEMBER Q-BERT! That game was amazing! Splatoon for the RGB generation. Mario on a really lab-processed tab of acid. Rare reflex bliss, back in the simple halcyon days, when snakes were ****ing evil, and colours made sense. Holy ****, am I your dad?

Hey, it's worth a shot.

Currently playing:

Super Mario 64 ~ Nintendo 64
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect ~ Xbox
Currently playing:

-Dragon Quest VIII remake for the 3DS

-Super Mario Maker for 3DS

Let the night air cool you off
I don't have a Genesis anymore () I did buy the Sonic's Genesis whatever whatever compilation for the PS3, but I am pretty sure that game's not on it. I'll have to find a way to play it.