Elite: Dangerous

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Seeing as we're talking about the DS4:

Seds, did you know that the controller is now officially supported by Steam in the same way as the Steam Controller? You can configure, upload and download community configs for loads of games which don't have official gamepad support.

A system of cells interlinked
I am just using the default mode so far, which seems to mirror the X-Box set-up I was using when I started, but now with the added function of a mouse pad right on the controller for turning trade data on and off etc. I did some combat and then blasted around doing some trade missions afterward, all with no problems so far! Ship is pretty much all set with upgrades for now, as well! I guess I need to exploration gear next, maybe?

I am trying to figure out the best home base system to plant my roots in at this point. Something with hi-tech nearby, plenty of RES areas nearby, and preferably a good trade hub. Any ideas?

Not on the gaming PC right now but when I am, I'll fire her up and see what systems I have bookmarked - One in particular has a station with more ship upgrades than I've seen in one place.

My 'home' station is Mikhail Gorbachev on Sol. Because, of course it is.

My spiritual home, of course, is the Ancients of Mumu faction... Or Wang City.

I've not done a lot with Horizons to be honest. What's been released so far doesn't interest me very much, but I'm blindly optimistic about the future.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I wouldn't bother carting exploration kit around unless you're going on a big jaunt. (Repair module is a must if you head out to the Eagle nebula and beyond tho, and a surface scanner. Generally best to strip everything else out and go D-class light modules for range). Pretty as it is, and astronomically intriguing, I honestly wouldn't recommend it tho, the mechanics get very samey very quickly. Doubt I'll go out again until we have alien life and that.

Def get an advanced discovery tho, and scan suns if fuel scooping is taking some time. All adds up, and the scan is good for missions, bonus cash, and giving you the shape of the system.

Can't remember my homes in the start zones (one station was called something like Yurchiken). Sol is def sexy Fed town, but needs a pass. I'd say just look for high pop high techs with bases in close orbit and a spread of minor factions of your favourite stripe. Make sure top faction is one you want to align with as then purchases / bounties / exploration data will all rep you up.

States can really mess with home bases though now, and can change where you want to be. I'm favouring Civil Unrest at the mo for piracy missions. (Very sketchy money, but pulling pirates out of supercruise feels badass )

Just from randomly doing missions and bounties so far, I have ranked a bit with the federation, it seems. I have yet to pick up a fuel scoop, so I think that will be next for me.

Thanks for the tips!

No worries

Horizons is good for vibe (planetary surfaces look grand, and the buggy is cool, but there's precious little added gameplay still unfortunately), busy work and ship tinkering (Engineer mods) and end-game bonuses (ship launched fighters). Multi-crew beta soon so can sound that out. The TLDR is probably: if you're enjoying the game, it'll extend that . Probably fair to say it doesn't bring the same bang for buck content of the core game purchase right now though, so see it more as garnish

I am over near Sol now, but don't have the permit yet. It seems the Feds don't like smugglers that dump their cargo at the first sign of Imperial trouble.

A couple fines later, and my rep went in the toilet. Whoops!

Hah, not to go all 'back on the day on you', but I did similar during Beta and the whole Fed world went all laser scalpels on me. Being an enemy of the state properly meant something back then . (The rep drop was crazy harsh for smuggling scans. Two mistakes and you were wanted across half of human space ). It took me about five goes to even leave the station. Had to hard reset in the end... (In my own personal lore that guy is my father )

I am over near Sol now, but don't have the permit yet. It seems the Feds don't like smugglers that dump their cargo at the first sign of Imperial trouble.

A couple fines later, and my rep went in the toilet. Whoops!
As a chief petty officer, I hope you learned your lesson sonny!

I'm a very petty officer.

Dreams and screenshots, dreams and screenshots baby...

Almost certainly some post work done on those, but they sure are purty

(Some livestreams on multicrew info coming up Tues, and actual footage on Thurs, so will sling anything tasty in here then)

Got some hours logged over this past snowy weekend. I have been doing missions as I attempt to rank up ( I am now a recruit) which included some delivery stuff and a couple of pirate hunting missions. Mostly hanging around the sol area to work on factions in that area. My home base is Barnard's Star at the moment.

Stage 2: Develops screenshot addiction

---

While I'm here, let me share Reddit's gif affliction... (This is a pretty scrubby peak at a planet, but a damn fine look at the glide phase. They're normally pretty sedate affairs, not tandem joyrides )

And this stoical German gentleman decided to bide adieu to his ailing Anaconda in dramatic fashion. Love the sound-chords being played on its tortured frame...

Sorry, jumping in way late, but that looks amazing.. what platform is it for?

And anything with multi crew ships I'm all in.,.. we used to play multi crew in Star Wars Galaxies (An old SOE MMO) and had the best times putting on the headsets and hopping in a multi crew ship...I'd pilot, someone as co-pilot plotting jumps, adjusting power distribution and shunting shields where needed, 2 gunners, a person running around unattached repairing blown conduits as we fought... Best fun ever.

Got some hours logged over this past snowy weekend. I have been doing missions as I attempt to rank up ( I am now a recruit) which included some delivery stuff and a couple of pirate hunting missions. Mostly hanging around the sol area to work on factions in that area. My home base is Barnard's Star at the moment.
Yeah it's good to have a network of known hubs all nearby. Cool how did you find the piracy missions? They're pretty low pay-per-hour if the faction you want doesn't turn up at the RES sites (and it's normally a smaller faction), but choosing your targets in Supercruise is one of the best things they've added since launch . (Plus ED is generally at its best when you eschew pay-per-hour for fun-per-hour, by just being a pilot surviving in space )

I've dropped my behemoth 'Conda back into cold storage for a bit while I wait and see what 2.3 brings. Grizzled Cmdrs have to play a longer game

Sorry, jumping in way late, but that looks amazing.. what platform is it for?

And anything with multi crew ships I'm all in.,.. we used to play multi crew in Star Wars Galaxies (An old SOE MMO) and had the best times putting on the headsets and hopping in a multi crew ship...I'd pilot, someone as co-pilot plotting jumps, adjusting power distribution and shunting shields where needed, 2 gunners, a person running around unattached repairing blown conduits as we fought... Best fun ever.
We're all PC in this thread, but it's on Xbox as well, and coming to PS4 in Q2.

Tis a beautiful game, but with a slow vibe between the combat encounters. (Those guys in the first gif then took a further 3 minutes to reach the planet's surface . And note that landing on rocks etc is part of the paid expansion, as is the multicrew)

Basically, I'm gonna load some caveats on you . The multicrew addition is looking like it's gonna be a first step to a future 'walking around' expansion. They're revealing more details this week, but it looks like it's gonna be mainly just turrets / use of the launchable fighters, and a tiny bit of additional energy management (leaving the pilot in charge of the decent energy management that exists). We're expecting it to get more flashy in about a year (guesswork) when you can run around and seal breaches / put out fires / repel boarders etc.

Elite is a very strange beast on the development front. It does some things beautifully. Others it does piecemeal, and slowly

Oh handy, the dripfeed of PR stuff has started. This is the new character creator and internal camera...

Screenshot generator confirmed

First of the Horizons 2.3 stuff has been twirled - mainly spangly cosmetic additions for now. The multicrew stuff is coming in the next vid on Thurs...

The cliff notes are:

'Holo Me' Commander Creator:
  • Pretty slick. All the slidy-bar depth and easy-defaults you'd expect
  • The only pay-to-pretty cosmetics will be tattoos, make up & the sexier two-tone spacesuits

New Camera Suite:
  • Much more flexible than the debug cam, good for fan vids, depth of field toys. Screen-shot generator amplified...
  • You can fly and shoot now in camera mode, but no UI, so they still want to keep the cockpit as the combat hub, not 3rd person.
  • Cute internal views, for those long Supercruise journeys...

New mid-range ship: The Dolphin:
  • A new sleek beast, that looks great. Yay . Designed for lacklustre passenger missions. Boo

New 'Megaships':

'Not flyable in game. They are new objects that you can interact with. There's a variety of them. Some of them have docking capabilities. Used for emergency deployments, construction projects. Could be used as a carrier down the line.'
  • None the wiser really, but looks like they're queued up to model the ship transfer function. Could be fun spaces for a dogfight? Hopefully mission hooks too eventually.

So the shouty Multicrew stream happened...

Cliff notes are:
  • Looks like a solid stepping stone, if a touch limited for now.
  • You can join and offer preferred styles: Bounty hunting / Exploring / Noob training etc, with auto-kick if someone repeats illegal actions in the more passive modes
  • New history tab, helps find players from past sessions you want to Friend etc
  • New chat bundling into expandable text bubbles, with Cmdr faces etc.
  • Bounty Hunting is the only profession that gives every crew member 100% cash, everything else just for kicks, with the Captain getting the spoils
  • Mining turrets coming for multicrew metal melting
  • The turret view is fairly arcadey, with aim assist and such, but looks fun with missiles flying everywhere.

^^Click for some turret action^^