Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Movie is really artificial and it made me cringe many times. It's too actiony for a war movie and all these brutal scenes were unnecessary cause I felt like I was watching pg-13 movie at the end. The way how characters were introduced was so cliche. Everything was forced. Forced exposition, forced violence. I didn't care about these characters cause I could see behind every scene (oh, so this is the scene were movie makers try to give depth to this character so audience will care and be sad when something bad happens with that person. Nice try). Yep, at the end it's just artificial. I would like Hacksaw Ridge if I was 16 again. I have seen too many movies like this one. Maybe not war movies, but movies who are delivered exactly this way and by exact same rules.
Absolutely spot on review. Totally agree with your analysis. Very poor movie.

Welcome to the human race...
RealHero's analysis is admittedly a little basic, though. Just saying something is forced or clichéd is easy without the elaboration. I do get where they're coming from with the "it was PG-13 by the end" comment for reasons that I went over in detail here - it's not so much about the graphic nature as it was about how it effectively contradicts the point of the rest of the film and thus undermines the whole thing. Historical accuracy is one thing, but what the film chooses to show or not show (to say nothing of how it shows things) definitely makes a difference even in a film based on true events. Also, I don't even remember the character of Ghoul.

Anyway...

Westworld -

not enough Radiohead

RealHero's analysis is admittedly a little basic, though. Just saying something is forced or clichéd is easy without the elaboration. I do get where they're coming from with the "it was PG-13 by the end" comment for reasons that I went over in detail here - it's not so much about the graphic nature as it was about how it effectively contradicts the point of the rest of the film and thus undermines the whole thing. Historical accuracy is one thing, but what the film chooses to show or not show (to say nothing of how it shows things) definitely makes a difference even in a film based on true events. Also, I don't even remember the character of Ghoul.
I just thought it was a poor film. I have no opinion on the PG rating or whatever, it just made me laugh out loud where presumably I should have been on the edge of my seat. A serious war film shouldn't do that.

Westworld -

not enough Radiohead
Ha. Those orchestral numbers in the tv series were stunning weren't they.

I just thought it was a poor film. I have no opinion on the PG rating or whatever, it just made me laugh out loud where presumably I should have been on the edge of my seat. A serious war film shouldn't do that.
I reckon it borders on so-bad-it's-good.

“I was cured, all right!”

It delivers! A mix of genres, comedy, crime drama, action. Hell, you can fell the 90's in every scene of this movie because you know... it's from the 90's

“I was cured, all right!”

It delivers! A mix of genres, comedy, crime drama, action. Hell, you can fell the 90's in every scene of this movie because you know... it's from the 90's

I loved the way they show us the mourning of the characters, in every movie that deals with this theme, people just looks sad and cry all the time, this one was different, they show the instability of the feelings! Great, great movie. Some useless side characters... but ok! I can live with that.

Spot on. I thought that the original post was a bit "Look at me" but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Thanks man, appreciated.

If you don't remember the character of ghoul, you were not paying enough attention, maybe you was already thinking of the review you would write, it was a subtle thing, no "forced cliched introduction" here, I'm thinking RealHero missed this too. In war movies you have to be switched on. That's not an insult, sometimes I am not switched on in movies, my mind is elsewhere, I wait until I know I'm in the right mind, I certainly don't watch a war movie in the middle of the afternoon, there's no other excuse for you not remembering this character, maybe it was just too chaotic for you.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
you said "The vast majority of the sequence involving Hacksaw Ridge itself manages to make the combat more disturbing than "exciting" and the chaos is so overwhelming that it gets hard to tell who is "winning" or not because of how many people are getting brutally maimed or killed"

I'll repeat my earlier sentiments.. maybe we should go back and change history and the nature of war to suit your cinematic requirements so we can see who is... winning

I was excited.

As to the ending which you think doesn't fit in to the film is just befuddling, this film does not just show Doss the "conscienctious co-operater" it also shows the heroism of armed soldiers in war, which you admitted was brutal.. even at one point Doss is indirectly responsible for a Japanese soldiers death.. and devotes very little time at the end to the outcome of the war, it does not show the ridge being taken or the war being won, it shows soldiers giving cover fire as Doss comes down, the ending was correct within the whole theme of the film, I'm trying to be nice here but I don't expect you to meet me half way or anything

Hacksaw ridge

This could have been epic. But it wasn't. It was full of lazy romanticism, misty eyed war cliches and absolutely awful dialogue. It's such a shame because it truly is an incredible story. But when you hear:

"You gotta be kiddin' me"
"We gat company!"
"Let's go to work boys"

And other such tired dialogue it rather ruins it. The end battle sequence is also ridiculous and at times it was more of a "war gore" than a history epic - some seriously misjudged noise jump scares. Despite some nice photography it is a wasted opportunity 6/10

If you don't remember the character of ghoul, you were not paying enough attention, maybe you was already thinking of the review you would write, it was a subtle thing, no "forced cliched introduction" here, I'm thinking "RealHero" missed this too. In war movies you have to be switched on. That's not an insult, sometimes I am not switched on in movies, my mind is elsewhere, I wait until I know I'm in the right mind, I certainly don't watch a war movie in the middle of the afternoon, there's no other excuse for you not remembering this character, maybe it was just too chaotic for you.
Or maybe I just don't remember. I saw the movie three months ago, after all. You could at least be specific about who Ghoul is rather than just saying "if you don't remember then you weren't paying attention". The Wikipedia plot synopsis doesn't even mention him. Maybe I'd remember if you elaborated on who he is and his importance to the story so I may remember the character even if I don't immediately recall his name. You don't have to be so condescending about it, either - this isn't a YouTube rant, it's a back-and-forth discussion.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
you said "The vast majority of the sequence involving Hacksaw Ridge itself manages to make the combat more disturbing than "exciting" and the chaos is so overwhelming that it gets hard to tell who is "winning" or not because of how many people are getting brutally maimed or killed"

I'll repeat my earlier sentiments.. maybe we should go back and change history and the nature of war to suit your cinematic requirements so we can see who is... winning

I was excited.

As to the ending which you think doesn't fit in to the film is just befuddling, this film does not just show Doss the "conscienctious co-operater" it also shows the heroism of armed soldiers in war, which you admitted was brutal.. even at one point Doss is indirectly responsible for a Japanese soldiers death.. and devotes very little time at the end to the outcome of the war, it does not show the ridge being taken or the war being won, it shows soldiers giving cover fire as Doss comes down, the ending was correct within the whole theme of the film, I'm trying to be nice here but I don't expect you to meet me half way or anything
WARNING: "Spoilers too, I guess" spoilers below
Consider that the sentence about how "it's hard to tell who is winning" is supposed to reference how the film is deliberately causing directionless chaos to reflect the messiness of war - in effect complimenting the film. At that point in the film, both sides are still caught in a bloody stalemate. It was in the paragraph where I was actually talking up the film by saying it "did a pretty decent job" - I thought it was a choice that paid off considering the "war and violence are bad" points it was making for most of the movie. That's why I also thought that it "not being exciting" was a good thing - there's a common complaint about war movies where anti-war sentiments don't work because the war itself looks "exciting" to viewers, which directly contradicts the idea that war is an inherently horrible and traumatic thing. It's a difficult balance to get right, and my main problem with Hacksaw Ridge was that it was actually doing well at getting that balance right - up until the bit where the U.S. fights back against the Japanese and win (at least that's what is implied by the Japanese leaders committing suicide during the final assault - I doubt that they'd do that if they were winning the battle). The problem is that the rest of the film actually shows violence to be ugly and nasty even when the Americans are doing it to defend themselves, so for the film to suddenly start showing violence in a triumphant manner as the Americans take the ridge (and they do take the ridge) just feels...wrong. Like I said in that link, I know that's what happened in real life but the way they showed it in the film did not match to the point that the rest of the film was making.

Now, exactly how much of that is because you weren't paying attention or I wasn't making myself too clear is irrelevant now. Just try not to make things like this into a fight that you feel you have to win by proving that you are right and the other person is wrong, and at least try to acknowledge how and why people would think differently for reasons that don't involve blaming them for "not paying attention" or what-have-you.

Anyway...

Razorback -

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Whenever I see my name mentioned in a generic way, I wait for someone else to quote it to confirm they're messing with me.

Also, Hacksaw Ridge is a good film you bozos.

Suspect's Reviews

Or maybe I just don't remember. I saw the movie three months ago, after all. You could at least be specific about who Ghoul is rather than just saying "if you don't remember then you weren't paying attention". The Wikipedia plot synopsis doesn't even mention him. Maybe I'd remember if you elaborated on who he is and his importance to the story so I may remember the character even if I don't immediately recall his name. You don't have to be so condescending about it, either - this isn't a YouTube rant, it's a back-and-forth discussion.

WARNING: "Spoilers too, I guess" spoilers below
Consider that the sentence about how "it's hard to tell who is winning" is supposed to reference how the film is deliberately causing directionless chaos to reflect the messiness of war - in effect complimenting the film. At that point in the film, both sides are still caught in a bloody stalemate. It was in the paragraph where I was actually talking up the film by saying it "did a pretty decent job" - I thought it was a choice that paid off considering the "war and violence are bad" points it was making for most of the movie. That's why I also thought that it "not being exciting" was a good thing - there's a common complaint about war movies where anti-war sentiments don't work because the war itself looks "exciting" to viewers, which directly contradicts the idea that war is an inherently horrible and traumatic thing. It's a difficult balance to get right, and my main problem with Hacksaw Ridge was that it was actually doing well at getting that balance right - up until the bit where the U.S. fights back against the Japanese and win (at least that's what is implied by the Japanese leaders committing suicide during the final assault - I doubt that they'd do that if they were winning the battle). The problem is that the rest of the film actually shows violence to be ugly and nasty even when the Americans are doing it to defend themselves, so for the film to suddenly start showing violence in a triumphant manner as the Americans take the ridge (and they do take the ridge) just feels...wrong. Like I said in that link, I know that's what happened in real life but the way they showed it in the film did not match to the point that the rest of the film was making.

Now, exactly how much of that is because you weren't paying attention or I wasn't making myself too clear is irrelevant now. Just try not to make things like this into a fight that you feel you have to win by proving that you are right and the other person is wrong, and at least try to acknowledge how and why people would think differently for reasons that don't involve blaming them for "not paying attention" or what-have-you.
Ghoul is the guy whom Vince Vaughn say's "you are a very strange looking individual if you don't mind me saying so private"

incidentally love Vaughn in this... brilliant

I know the triumphant part you are talking about, even the music reflects it but it was in defense of Doss as much as anything else, I found it totally appropriate and not unbalanced.

I know the sentiment that a war film should not be exciting, I will just say a war film should reflect the reality and the reality is, war is not without excitement, this does not negate the horror of it either.

Legend in my own mind
I'm all for opinions but people that don't rate 'Hacksaw ridge'

The Signal: 9/10, one of the best sci-fi movies in my opinion.

Legend in my own mind

The Theory of Everything

I have only just finished watching this. I know it won so many awards and accolades but a bit like with 'The Kings speech' I just wasn't all that interested in the subject of the film.

I knew Stephen Hawking's story after watching a documentary on him some time ago so (wrongly) thought that the film would offer me very little.

Unlike a documentary films invite us into the story, and that it exactly what I felt. Rather than watching a film about his life, I felt that I was within his life.

The story is obviously already written as it is a biographical film but the whole thing has to rise and fall on the performance of Redmayne and to a lesser extent Jones.

Redmayne was outstanding!!! I know he received the academy award (and most others) but I don't think I realised how good it was. I found it spellbinding. One of the top 3 representations of real people that I have ever seen in a film.

Jones was superb in her role but it was all about Redmayne.

The film itself was well shot and captured their relationship, their personalities and also the challenges that faced them.

The scene with Stephen receiving his diagnosis really hammered home how helpless the situation was at that time, and also that he was a brilliant mind, in the prime of his life and on the cusp of something special and then...

It also shows the strength of character and the value of perseverance.

A very good film.