The 2017 Oscar Preview Podcast

Tools    

For those who don't know, particularly all the new folks around here lately, we do a big Oscar Preview podcast each year with Holden Pike and mark f, two longtime MoFos who watch absurd numbers of films.

This is the sixth (!) year we've done it, and it contains lots of great analysis, history, and predictions, including the possibility of a record-breaking win on Oscar night.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just finished listening to it in its entirety guys! Great job as always!

I really love how Holden and Mark are big on the La La Land train! I'm with you in that it would be the best Best Picture winner this decade!

Also was excited to hear how much you guys enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge. It really was a well done film.

I thought Portman drove the film Jackie, but I was interested that you guys thought the film was good in spite of the performance.

I need to see Zootopia. Seems you guys liked it well enough.

Also Silence for that matter. A lot of chatter in here about that film. If Garfield was better in that than Hacksaw, we are in for a big treat.

I won't be mad if Denzel beats Casey, but I still preferred Casey's performance.

Thanks again guys!

Just finished listening to it in its entirety guys! Great job as always!
They're the best. It's ridiculous hearing Holden and Mark reel off historical comparisons. There were even more than I could find room for this tmie: Mark had a great one about the meta similarities between La La Land and Roman Holiday, for example.

I need to see Zootopia. Seems you guys liked it well enough.
It's streaming on Netflix, FYI.

Also Silence for that matter. A lot of chatter in here about that film. If Garfield was better in that than Hacksaw, we are in for a big treat.
Yeah, it's quite a film. Rough, at times, and I think they omitted the single most important line from the book, but it's still a must-see. So, so pretty.

Yes! One of my favourite things about the Oscar season. As always, thanks guys for doing this.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Oh, and a shout out to Harry Lime for helping me decide which films were particularly crucial to see before this podcast, a process which was tougher than normal. You're the man.

And for the record, Yoda, Jackie is currently sitting at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not sure where you got the impression it was getting drubbed, outside of Portman's performance, but the consensus is that it's good, if not great.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomato.png
Views:	504
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	28747  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh, and a shout out to Harry Lime for helping me decide which films were particularly crucial to see before this podcast, a process which was tougher than normal. You're the man.
Which ones did you see? I'll listen to this tomorrow looking forward to it.

And for the record, Yoda, Jackie is currently sitting at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not sure where you got the impression it was getting drubbed, outside of Portman's performance, but the consensus is that it's good, if not great.
I think it was literally that I just saw two reviews (or tweets from critics, or whatever), and assumed I was unlikely to have seen just two negative ones unless they were predominant. My bad! It might not be totally mutually exclusive, though, if most of the reviews are positive primarily because of the performance. But even so, at that number it's obvious my perception was off.

Which ones did you see? I'll listen to this tomorrow looking forward to it.
I saw all of the Best Picture nominees other than Lion, though I'll probably still catch that before the ceremony.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
How long is this, Yodels? Might need to crank up the espresso machine.

I'd like to listen, but I still plan on seeing a lot of the nominated movies and don't want anything to be spoiled. Is it safe?

Wow you guys talk nearly as much as I post on the net. Good job. I'd also like to know about spoilers. I'm a spoiler free zone and have only seen a few of the nominees this year so far.

There are some, yes. The only really overt stuff is probably about Arrival (and even then, it's not specific, it just mentions something you might not have guessed factors into the story), so if you've seen that most of what's left won't be too bad.

Beyond that it's mostly just general plot trajectory for Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. Nothing overt, just things like "starts off feeling this way, ends up feeling this way later."

Yeah, I guess I did give the "twist" of Arrival away, if you're listening closely. But I think we're pretty conscious about not revealing spoilers, each year, and this year is no different. We do detail a few of the plots in the course of conversation, but I don't think we reveal anything major.

Except for Doubt (2008). I spoil the ***** out of that one.

Any predictions on best actor and actress?

Yup, we make predictions on every major category. For those who want it here and not in the podcast...

WARNING: "Best Actor and Actress" spoilers below
We all think it'll be Affleck and Stone, but we're less sure about Affleck and think Denzel has a very good shot.