Oscar's Best Actor 2017

Tools    

Who do you think gave the best performance?
71.43%
20 votes
Casey Affleck, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
3.57%
1 votes
Andrew Garfield, HACKSAW RIDGE
10.71%
3 votes
Ryan Gosling, LA LA LAND
3.57%
1 votes
Viggo Mortensen, CAPTAIN FANTASTIC
10.71%
3 votes
Denzel Washington, FENCES
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees for Best Actor this year.

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's going to be Casey Affleck's trophy, but for me, Washington's performance is the best bit of acting I've had the pleasure of watching since Keaton in Birdman.

Dave Johns in I, Daniel Blake is my favourite male performance from last year. Of course he was never going to be nominated and i haven't seen most of these.

Dave Johns in I, Daniel Blake is my favourite male performance from last year. Of course he was never going to be nominated and i haven't seen most of these.
If I could find it playing anywhere I would watch it. Damn limited releases!

I love Captain Fantastic and am very happy and a little surprised that Viggo made the cut. He ain't gonna win, but good on him, and now hopefully more people check out the flick.

If it weren't for there always being tons of worthy male lead performances each year, since most American films feature male protagonists, Tom Hanks might have nearly as many nominations as Meryl Streep. He has five Oscar nominations, including the back-to-back Best Actor wins, but incredibly he hasn't had a nomination since 2000's Cast Away. He does consistently top notch work, and in that fallow period since his last nom he has missed the cut with the likes of Catch Me if You Can, Charlie Wilson's War, Captain Phillips, Bridge of Spies, and again with this year's Sully. Hard to feel sorry for him when he is one of the most likeable guys in the biz and a zillionaire, and on the negative side he does keep making those stupid Robert Langdon flicks, but surely he'll break through again one of these days. Right?

Fantastic that Ruth Negga made it as Best Actress, but I thought Joel Edgerton was her equal in Loving, which should have gotten a bucket full of noms (Joel was also very good in support on Midnight Special).

I have been slow to get on the Adam Driver train, but after his strong supporting work this year in Midnight Special and Silence and especially his funny, warm, interesting work as the lead in Jarmusch's Paterson, I consider myself a fan. Would have been delighted if he made it here for Paterson, but I know it was a super, duper longshot. As great as Jake Gyllenhaal has been for so long, it is a mystery how he only has one Oscar nomination, for Brokeback Mountain. The most egregious snub of them all, to date, is probably still Nightcrawler, but he might have made it for his dual performance in Nocturnal Animals and for my money he should have made it for his work in the just about completely ignored Demolition from earlier in 2016.

Some other lead performances I loved that had no realistic shot of making it were Colin Farrell's deadpan brilliance in The Lobster, Julian Dennison and Sam Neill were amazingly fun in Taika Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Anton Yelchin (R.I.P.) was so good at the center of The Green Room, Michael Keaton was strong as usual showing the dichotomy inherent within Ray Kroc's legacy of vision and theft in The Founder, and one of my favorites Michael Shannon gave a weird, funky, unexpected turn as The King in Elvis & Nixon.

But I can't really fault the five the Academy went with, either. Although I agree with many who have assessed that as good as Garfield is in Hacksaw Ridge, he definitely went deeper and was exponentially more impressive in Silence.

Casey will take this home. Sorry, Ryan Gosling.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I have seen 4 of these. Didn't care for Viggo much but Denzel, Casey, and Ryan were all really great. This is the year I go from liking Gosling to loving him and being in awe of his comedic timing in particular. All that being said Affleck carried a heavy film and made it not only watchable but really damn good and engaging. Affleck for the win.

It's going to be Casey Affleck's trophy, but for me, Washington's performance is the best bit of acting I've had the pleasure of watching since Keaton in Birdman.
This. Washington was tremendous. He should win. Don't think he will, though.

Yeah, it's not an unreasonable opinion. Just didn't land for me quite the same way, which I guess is to be expected with something subtler like that.

For me, it was about a larger-than-life leading man like Denzel somehow fading into the character and inhabiting them so completely that I occasionally forgot it was him. It would've been soooooooo easy for all that dialogue to come off as contrived or overwrought, but it didn't. Elevating the material, and making me forget who I'm watching, are two of the biggest markers for me, when it comes to great performances.

Liked him, but don't remember thinking the same thing. It's been a few years, though.

He's pretty much always great, of course, so this is all relative to his high baseline of expectations.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seen 4 now, all of which were great. This was a really strong year for lead male performances to say the least. I'm not sure that I'll see Mortensen before the Oscars, so I just went and voted already.

I personally thought Denzel was excellent in Fences, though Casey Affleck was quite good too. Affleck will probably end up winning the Oscar.

This one has shaped up to be a two-horse race, which at least makes it more interesting than an presumed winner.

This is Viggo Mortensen’s second Oscar nomination. His first was for Cronenberg’s Eastern Promises, the year Daniel Day-Lewis won for There Will Be Blood. There was a topic on our site back in 2009 where Viggo said he might not make another movie. At that point he was exhausted by the pace he’d been on. Not surprisingly he is still acting, though seemingly he is taking work anywhere but Hollywood. Happily Captain Fantastic found its way to him and he took it on. The indie didn’t get huge distribution over the summer, but it was noticed by enough of his admirers in the Academy to make the cut for Best Actor, even though the film itself received no other nominations. He won’t win this year, but plucking the nomination out of relative obscurity compared to the other campaigns being run shows how respected he is among his peers.

This is Ryan Gosling’s second nomination, as well. His first came for the gritty Half Nelson, when Forest Whitaker won for The Last King of Scotland. Gosling’s career started as a child on "The All-New Mickey Mouse Club" in the mid-1990s, the class that also included Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake. When he reemerged as a 21-year-old in the skinhead drama The Believer (2001), it was clear his choice to go the route of the serious actor rather than pop star of his teenage castmates was the correct one. The adaptation of Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook gave him the opportunity to try his hand at 21st Century matinee idol, but he also rejected that track in favor of projects like Half Nelson, Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, Drive, and The Place Beyond the Pines, playing against his leading man looks. But he did also show off his comedic chops in Crazy Stupid Love and his supporting role in The Big Short. Whether falling in love with an inanimate sex doll, tenderly kissing the girl he loves before beating very bloody Hell out of a would-be assassin in an elevator, or mentoring a middle-aged broken heart through the modern dating scene, Gosling can be incredibly charming on screen. That charm is on full display in La La Land, and coupled with the overwhelming momentum of the movie as a whole it has propelled him here. Oh, by the way, he also learned how to proficiently play jazz piano for the film, and does all of his own playing on screen and on the soundtrack.

He won’t win this time, which is a year that also includes his unnominated but brilliantly over-the-top comic turn in The Nice Guys, but the kind of material he is attracted to will surely bring him back again and again over his career, and you gotta figure he’ll win one eventually (he is only thirty-six). Lighter more comedic performances don’t generally win Best Actor, with Jean Dujardin in The Artist and Jack Nicholson in As Good As it Gets being the two most recent. Usually it’s the darker dramatic work that wins this prize, and when Gosling does win it will probably be for one of those.

Andrew Garfield is enjoying his very first Oscar nomination. While he is best known to mainstream audiences for his Spider-Man reboots, the 33-year-old Englishman has been doing good work for years. I first noticed him in Boy A and Red Riding, and other than Peter Parker his most high-profile gig pre-2016 was as Eduardo Saverin, the man cut out of Facebook by Jesse Eisneberg’s Mark Zuckerberg in Fincher’s The Social Network. He was excellent along side Michael Shannon in 2015’s 99 Homes, but after 2016’s double shot of Hacksaw Ridge and Scorsese’s Silence, you gotta figure he’ll be starring in a lot more good projects over the next few years. Up next is Andy Serkis’ debut Breathe about a man paralyzed by Polio and Under Silver Lake, a thriller from David Robert Mitchell (It Follows).

As far as the work goes, he is excellent in both Hacksaw Ridge and Silence, and it doesn’t hurt his cause to have two great performances out there, even if he is only officially nominated for one of them. No actor has yet been double nominated in the same category in a year, though eleven times an actor or actress has been nominated for both lead and supporting work in the same year, most recently Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth: The Golden Age and I’m Not There, Jamie Foxx for Ray and Collateral, and Julianne Moore for Far from Heaven and The Hours as the only instances in the 21st Century. The one odd case in Oscar history is Barry Fitzgerald for 1944’s Going My Way, where he was nominated both as lead and supporting for the same performance, which they have disallowed ever since. The point being that when there are two great lead performances in a single year, one of them rises as the Oscar choice. With Hacksaw Ridge’s five other noms, including Best Picture and Best Director, it’s not surprising that this is the performance that got formally recognized.

Even with the two great performances it’s unlikely he will be an upset winner this time, though his career is clearly taking off in a big way.

Casey Affleck is enjoying his second nomination, the first being Supporting Actor for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (the year Javier Bardem won for No Country for Old Men). Apparently the initial idea for Manchester by the Sea was pitched by John Krasinski and Matt Damon to Kenneth Lonergan to write. He did, and at early stages Damon was going to direct and star in it, then just star while Lonergan directed. By the time the financing and schedule were secured, Damon was too busy to take the role and it went to his friend Casey Affleck. Which is all great news for Casey.

Manchester by the Sea isn’t Casey Affleck’s first starring role, that was in Steve Buscemi’s very good and underseen indie Lonesome Jim (2005). The low key reality of his persona was a great fit for brother Ben’s Boston Noir Gone Baby Gone (2007), and his psychotic Texas sheriff in Michael Winterbottom’s adaptation of Jim Thompson’s The Killer Inside Me (2010) is Devilish fun, but playing the haunted and self-destructive Lee Chandler is easily the best role he has been given. He’s wonderful in the film. It’s a character that starts off as unlikeable and mysteriously withdrawn, but as the flashbacks continue to unwravel the full nature of the tragedy that broke him in the past, the audience and his nephew grow to understand why he can’t possibly move back to this town, for any reason, not even a good or noble one. Though punctuated with brief flurries of violence, it is a mostly still performance as the structure of the film reveals who he really is and why.

Denzel Washington is the old veteran among the nominees. At the age of sixty-two, this is the seventh nomination of his storied career. His first two noms were in the Supporting category for Cry Freedom and Glory. Since then it has been all Best Actor, starting with Spike Lee’s Malcom X, Norman Jewison’s The Hurricane, Antoine Fuqua’s Training Day, Robert Zemeckis’ Flight, and now his self-directed Fences. His two Oscar wins came for Glory and Training Day. Another win would put him in elite company. There are only six people who have won more than two acting Oscars: Walter Brennan, Ingrid Bergman, Jack Nicholson, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Meryl Streep all have three each, and Katharine Hepburn has four. Whether Denzel wins this year or not, assuming he doesn’t drop dead anytime soon it figures he will break into their ranks at some point.

August Wilson’s Fences is a Pulitzer Prize and Tony winning play, published in 1983 and produced on Broadway in 1987. It is Wilson’s most famous work, the sixth of what became a ten-part Pittsburgh Cycle of plays. The original production starred James Earl Jones as Troy Maxson, the middle-aged sanitation worker who feels that but for his race and a stretch in prison he might have been one of the greatest baseball players who ever lived. The crushing weight of his own anger and disappointment with life causes him to block his son’s chances at possibly excelling as a football player who could potentially get a college scholarship. In the play/film we see how his charm and drive, despite his setbacks, keep him moving forward. By the end of the play the pain some of his bitter drive has caused others comes fully to light, and Denzel gives one of the best if not the best performances of his life as the bombastic, endearing, and flawed man. Denzel and Viola Davis starred in a 2010 Broadway revival that earned both of them Tony Awards, and the power and lived-in authenticity of their performances is what lifts the film adaptation.

So it appears to come down to this: will it be Denzel’s third win, or Casey’s first? If Denzel had somehow never won in his previous nominations he would be an absolute lock and they’d be scrambling to make up for not having anointed him before, and I don’t think it’s controversial or a stretch to say Fences is a much better performance than the two he’s actually won for. But Casey Affleck is really good in Manchester by the Sea. Affleck may get other great opportunities that turn into nominations down the line, but Denzel most certainly will. Will the established icon’s masterful work in a passion project get the nod over a younger actor who nailed the role of his life? One is a very dynamic, boisterous performance, the other quiet and subtle.

We’ll know in a few weeks. If I had a ballot I would be voting for Casey Affleck, but if Denzel’s name is called to the stage Oscar night you can’t really fault them for their choice.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Viggo is my ten cents worth.

Goldderby, the leading Awards Season prediction website is now saying that Denzel has the best shot of winning the award.

Any thoughts?