Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Harvest (2013)

Weak Drama. Weak Horror. Weak Mystery. BLEH!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Witch (2015)
-
You've just been added to the blacklist by me and Swan.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Witch (2015)
-

No, not everything. The subtitles were very helpful.

This thing is like a broken Shakespearean tragedy. A movie about trying to get a glimpse of boobies, crying, praying and lamenting. After that, they blame the goat. Way too much talking, but not regular talking, it's mostly religious drivel. There are a few very brief appearances by a crow, two ghosts and some witches. Waste of my viewing time and patience.

Iro's rating was right on this one.
I considered you for my Top MoFos list for a while...

I guess that's an over and done thing now...

I considered you for my Top MoFos list for a while...

I guess that's an over and done thing now...
I know, sorry to disappoint, one bag of popcorn too much?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If I was an Asian teenage girl, you wouldn't be this mean.
Yes. Then you would go to my yellow list.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tell Them Willie Boy is Here - 7.5/10

Not enough scenes with Robert Blake (Willie) and way too many of Redford playing hide and seek, which gets very boring. It started out so great, then kinda went down. The writing was great, when it was there.

Sully (2016)

This movie was probably about as good as I could have hoped for, although I would prefer something a little more ambitious from a director/actor combo like Eastwood and Hanks. I should mention that Aaron Eckhart is an actor I usually don't like, but I thought he did a nice job here as the co-pilot. My wife and I certainly enjoyed the movie, but it's not the type that will stay with me.

While I won't say it is a masterpiece like some people are calling it, but La La Land and director Damien Chazelle are proof that cinema is not dead. While there is plenty of crap to be found, there are still artists who are willing to push the medium and bring something new to the table.

I really liked Whiplash in 2014 and La La Land shows that Chazelle is really big into both film and music. Especially jazz. And Chazelle's films are infused with a brimming passion for both. This film has plenty of homages to the Golden Age of Hollywood and old school musicals from posters, to dance and tap sequences, to one final scene towards the end of the movie that is pure old school musicals. And like in Whiplash, there are several really good musical numbers of jazz and a genuine love for the musical genre. And the passion shows on scene.

And while I admit the film started out a tad awkward, the film as a whole was great. The music was on point, the cinematography was out of sight, and I really liked the writing. While the film does do a story that we have seen before (two up and coming artists fall in love) the film's execution is superb; and the fusion of a love of jazz and musicals is totally unique. I expect this movie to get a lot of love come Oscar night.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back -

I was surprised at how well put together the first film was. I was also surprised that they were making a sequel to the flick. I knew they were not going to strike lightning twice though. Well, I was mostly right, as the film takes on a more action-heavy role than the first and doesn't feel as tight in the script department. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is competent enough to hold your attention for the running time. A solid performance from Cruise, a weird subplot involving a teenager that doesn't ring true, a lacking villain and a forced side-kick role for Cobie Smulders, leaves the film as a mixed bag. More positive than negative in the long run as those action sequence are fun and Cruise is still an entertaining star.

Suspect's Reviews

Uncle John (2015)
+

Ashton, or should I say Sgt. Taggart from Bevery Hills Cop, is excellent in the role of Uncle John. He's a very serious guy in this film. This is my kind of independent flick. Gives a very precise example of "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust". The cover and poster art is also pretty good.

La La Land

I'm pretty sure people are praising it just because there hasn't been a good muscial in quite some time

The Reader (2008)

Arrival (2016, Denis Villeneuve)

Just an utterly forgettable, second-rate, cliche-ridden melodrama with sci-fi elements. Basically, a snooze-fest all the way through, aside from a couple of moments (that first entry into the ship was promising). Too much maudlin sentimentality and complete lack of a convincing, interesting story. Obviously, the intent was to create something profoundly moving and cathartic but it fell dismally flat (imho). I was never really invested in what was going on at any point in the movie, and at the end I felt as emotionally numb as I was at the beginning.