Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/le...rt-1201923648/

"Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel "Dune" granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers."

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/le...rt-1201923648/

"Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel "Dune" granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers."
That's exciting to hear but in a way it's quite a shame that you'd have to once again start with Dune and work from that, unless they started with the prequel books that is. It feels like always having to go back to square one and they only get so far with it. I believe the best way of doing Dune again would be to split it, Lord of the Rings style, into three films corresponding to the book's three sections.

... I believe the best way of doing Dune again would be to split it, Lord of the Rings style, into three films corresponding to the book's three sections.
What would you call the three sections in Dune?

What would you call the three sections in Dune?
Well it would be:

Dune
Muad'Dib
The Prophet

I see I thought you meant to split the novel Dune into three movies.
Yeah, I think that makes sense if it was going to be as a film. Then Dune Messiah would probably only be one as it's a lot shorter, and Children of Dune possibly two films.

Or, bring back Intermission .

This might just do nobody any good.
Apparently Denis Villeneuve is interested in this. As he quickly became one of my favorites I fully endorse him as the director.

Apparently Denis Villeneuve is interested in this. As he quickly became one of my favorites I fully endorse him as the director.
Fingers crossed!

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
It's very deep and layered. I wouldn't mind it as a big budget mini series but I doubt that would bring in the $ they could make some epic action scenes and introduce a rich new universe. I haven't sen the movie. Read the first book last year, quite good.

It's very deep and layered. I wouldn't mind it as a big budget mini series but I doubt that would bring in the $ they could make some epic action scenes and introduce a rich new universe. I haven't sen the movie. Read the first book last year, quite good.
If you haven't seen the miniseries I'd check it out. I thought the set design was fantastic, and probably on a par with Lynch's film really. It goes for a more Arabian look all round, not just on Arrakis.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm not opposed to this idea. It needs an updated adaptation.

Suspect's Reviews

This guy is going to eventually going to get too exhausted, he's been really busy. I still have not watched a single one of his movies.

Is the original Dune worth watching? I know the main consensus is no from most, but Lynch, right? There's gotta be something redeemable there.

This guy is going to eventually going to get too exhausted, he's been really busy. I still have not watched a single one of his movies.

Is the original Dune worth watching? I know the main consensus is no from most, but Lynch, right? There's gotta be something redeemable there.
I watched Dune (from start to finish in one sitting) for the first time last year.
It's one of those films you've got to be in the mood for. You've got to be in a David Lynch mood to make it to the end.

Yes it's worth watching...but only the original theatrical release which is 137 minutes. Avoid the longer extended version which adds in some boring long scenes, while cutting out the more potent David Lynch scenes.

Yes it's worth watching...but only the original theatrical release which is 137 minutes. Avoid the longer extended version which adds in some boring long scenes, while cutting out the more potent David Lynch scenes.
That's what I was worried about. I figured maybe since it was such a big franchise film Lynch might've lost a bit of creative control, since his name didn't nearly have the same pull it had before Blue Velvet, and Twin Peaks.

That's what I was worried about. I figured maybe since it was such a big franchise film Lynch might've lost a bit of creative control, since his name didn't nearly have the same pull it had before Blue Velvet, and Twin Peaks.
David Lynch said this in an interview:

David Lynch (13 January 2006) : "Dune I didn't have final cut on. It's the only film I've made where I didn't have it...

In those days the maximum length they figured I could have is two hours and seventeen minutes, and that's what the film is, so they wouldn't lose a screening a day, so once again it's money talking and not for the film at all and so it was like compacted and it hurt it...

There is no other version. There's more stuff, but even that is putrefied."
The more stuff he's talking about is the extended version.

Upon completion, the rough cut without post-production effects ran over four hours long. David Lynch's intended cut of the film was almost three hours long. However, Universal and the film's financiers expected a standard, two-hour cut of the film. To reduce the run time, Dino De Laurentiis, his daughter 'Raffaella De Laurentiis, and Lynch excised numerous scenes, filmed new scenes that simplified or concentrated plot elements, and added voice-over narrations, plus a new introduction by Virginia Madsen.

That's too bad. I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead, though, were they really expecting he'd easily take all of their barking orders?