Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Nice one Swan, great to see such real enjoyment and enthusiasm. It was a film that I thought was great when I first watched it, and the ending really blew me away. Reading that reminds me I need to get back into watching films like I used to

Master of My Domain
Anyway, Oldboy ends and we all sit not in stunned silence, but in stunned discussion. We start gushing and gushing about what we just watched. It must have went on for a solid ten minutes. It was an unbelievably memorable night, and I owe it all to Park Chan-wook and company
I had the exact same reaction when I first watched my favorite film. And I'm still amazed every time I watch it. Oldboy not only breaks the mold but actually does something with those broken pieces, creating a behemoth that never seems to stop. Very, very few films accomplish even a quarter of what Oldboy does, imo.

I know it's your favorite film, Gatsby. It's a great choice for #1. It has probably skyrocketed up my own favorites list, not sure where though.

I'm planning on watching Oldboy again pretty soon. It was just ok for me the first time.
A little surprised I guess. While I was watching it, I just got this feeling like I was witnessing something really special - a true modern classic and a masterpiece in every sense. I guess that's why.

I love your write-ups, Swan, I really do. That's what I'm trying to say, don't ever change. You are one of the few who evoke emotions through words - but not because of fancy you construct them, like me maybe, but because you write so honest and true. I totally feel how you feel when I read your stuff. I love that, don't ever stop, or change your taste, or think you are weird for liking this movie and that movie. Because this is the reason I love reading your thoughts.

On Oldboy, because of the twist(s) that had me speechless like no other first time I saw it, I expected to like it a little less with a rewatch (as it is usually the case with twist-movies)... but surprisingly, it held up just as great and that is indeed because it is great filmmaking. The twist is a lot of what the movie is about, one could say all it is about, but because of the filmmaking, the storytelling, the acting and so forth, the movie never lives or relies on its twist; it is part of a greater thing and everything is constructed so nicely and paced well that the movie works on its own, as a whole... I love Oldboy, what a movie indeed...

I love your write-ups, Swan, I really do. That's what I'm trying to say, don't ever change. You are one of the few who evoke emotions through words - but not because of fancy you construct them, like me maybe, but because you write so honest and true. I totally feel how you feel when I read your stuff. I love that, don't ever stop, or change your taste, or think you are weird for liking this movie and that movie. Because this is the reason I love reading your thoughts.

On Oldboy, because of the twist(s) that had me speechless like no other first time I saw it, I expected to like it a little less with a rewatch (as it is usually the case with twist-movies)... but surprisingly, it held up just as great and that is indeed because it is great filmmaking. The twist is a lot of what the movie is about, one could say all it is about, but because of the filmmaking, the storytelling, the acting and so forth, the movie never lives or relies on its twist; it is part of a greater thing and everything is constructed so nicely and paced well that the movie works on its own, as a whole... I love Oldboy, what a movie indeed...
That does mean so much to me man. Honestly, thank you.

And yeah, I agree (second paragraph). The genius of the twist is that it makes sense within the film, it's part of a greater narrative and doesn't feel gimmicky or shoved it for shock. In a lesser film, it might have. But here it really is an organic part of the story. I'm just echoing what you already said here, but it deserves to be repeated.

I remember thinking that parts of it were silly, and that took me out of the movie a little. I didn't dislike it though.
Interesting. I can think of a few moments that could be seen that way. For me, they added to the tone of the movie, one where Park was infectiously enthusiastic in his craft. He must have had such a blast making that flick. At least, that's the impression I get.

Just watched Haindmaiden yesterday. Have you seen that Swan? If so, what are your thoughts?
I haven't, but I saw you weren't overly crazy about it. He seems to be pretty hit or miss for some people. I haven't seen all his films, but have really liked the ones I have seen.

I haven't, but I saw you weren't overly crazy about it. He seems to be pretty hit or miss for some people. I haven't seen all his films, but have really liked the ones I have seen.
I loved Oldboy and Lady Vengeance. Got an hour into Sympath For Mr Vengeance and then got interrupted. Obviously it wasn't grabbing me like the other two but I will give it a proper watch some day. Stoker is also a solid film.

I think people are understandibly falling love with the tapestry of Handmaiden, the mise en scene if you will. As you know I value character and script above all, so I just couldn't attach myself to the story. I have a feeling you will love it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

This song brings so many memories. I watched this film on January 17th 2012!!!. That's five years ago. FIVE YEARS AGO. And I still remember the feeling of amazement it gave me. I can't remember if I cried during the ending in the snow, but I'm sure I should have, because I remember that image of that girl with a red hat(?) hugging the protagonist. I actually rated it
, but it may be a five star movie as well. I don't know. I'm not big on rewatches, but I'm pretty sure that eventually I will give this one another go.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oldboy is of course fantastic. It's part of my Top 101 favorite films thread and there's a very good chance it would still rank amongst my Top 100 favorite films of all time.

I've seen two other Park Chan-Wook films.

I wasn't blown away by Lady Vengeance. I thought that film lacked the rhythm and gravitas of Oldboy. The concept and the execution wasn't that interesting to me.

The Handmaiden I loved quite a bit. It's an astonishingly beautiful picture and an absolute blast to sit through. A seductive, perverse, cultural, twisty and ultimately also very human film. It may lack the sheer satisfaction that Oldboy provides, but it may be my favorite film of 2016 so far (competing with Everybody Wants Some!!, which is of course completely incomparable to it).

28 Days Later... -

(Danny Boyle, 2002)

[REWATCH]

Damn. This film is a marvel. I think it’s one that could have only come out after 9/11, and it ended up revolutionizing the zombie genre as much as the original Night of the Living Dead did. There are many reasons for this, including making them fast-moving (which I am part of the bandwagon that says that was a stroke of genius. Sorry Romero.)

It’s been many years since I’ve watched this last, and I can’t count on two hands how many emotions I felt watching it this time. It feels more visceral, emotional, thoughtful and thought-provoking than the rest of the pack. Danny Boyle is a fun filmmaker for sure, and everyone else feels at the top of their game alongside him. So many memorable scenes that come together to make a really great and cohesive whole.

F*cking fantastic movie.
brooooo !!!

This review is GREAT. One of my fav zombie movie (also in my Top 100)

Welcome to the human race...
I keep putting off revisiting Oldboy because I do worry that it's not going to hold up (have already seen it at least twice). I think I tend to be like that with mystery movies in general.

brooooo !!!

This review is GREAT. One of my fav zombie movie (also in my Top 100)
Thanks man!

I keep putting off revisiting Oldboy because I do worry that it's not going to hold up (have already seen it at least twice). I think I tend to be like that with mystery movies in general.
That's always a fear I have too, but I think waiting a while before revisiting it helps. I've seen Oldboy twice before this viewing, but it had been so long that my memory of it was foggy. Remarkably, this was my best viewing of the film - by a long shot.

How do you like the film, Iro?