Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Fallen Angel (1945)

-

This is a pretty good looking movie that is somewhat entertaining with some ok characters and dialogue. For something on the top 100 noirs list, I expected more. I didn't like the main character, a drifter/con-artist type played by Dana Andrews. I thought he was more of an annoying weasel than a guy with a big personality or a sinister side. Probably due to how I felt about that character, I thought the film lacked believability.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I hear where you're coming from with the 80's feel, however I watched this flick in the theater when it came out, and at the time it was pretty awesome. I rewatched this one fairly recently, and yeah, it hasn't aged well. Caan is still my man, and Rollerball is still one of my guilty pleasures.
Do you know any other good movies with Caan? I saw "The Gambler" - liked it. I think I'm looking for the same character, it was great, almost wished there was a follow-up!

Do you know any other good movies with Caan? I saw "The Gambler" - liked it. I think I'm looking for the same character, it was great, almost wished there was a follow-up!
May I recommend some James Caan performances? They're not all great movies, but Caan's performance makes them worth watching:

Thief
Mickey Blue Eyes
Cinderella Liberty
Honeymoon in Vegas
Misery
Kiss Me Goodbye
Hide in Plain Sight
For the Boys
Rollerball
The Godfather

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Forbidden Planet (1956) Re-watch
Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil job.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ordinary People (1980)

10th re-watch in honor of Mary Tyler Moore...RIP, Mary.
One of the best movies I've ever seen.

T2 Trainspotting

I'm always nervous about returning to classics, especially after so long. But I enjoyed this so much more than I was expecting! The original will always be the best but this really did it justice. Paid homage to the original just enough without overdoing it. Really good.

T2 Trainspotting

I'm always nervous about returning to classics, especially after so long. But I enjoyed this so much more than I was expecting! The original will always be the best but this really did it justice. Paid homage to the original just enough without overdoing it. Really good.
I heard about a sequel, but didn't even know it was made already.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I, Daniel Blake - 8.5/10

Great movie. A critique of modern life with heart and talent. Ken Loach is still great, I need to watch all his movies. I've seen a handful, never a bad one.

Johnny Got His Gun (1971)

-

This movie is about a young man who goes to war, is hit by a shell, and ends up losing his face, his limbs, and his senses. He's kept alive with only his feelings and thoughts. He narrates the movie, and besides his time in the hospital, we are shown his memories, fantasies, and dreams. The film is in color except for the present time in the hospital. This is a heartbreaking and haunting story that manages to mix in some tender moments like remembering back to spending the night with his girlfriend, or being shown compassion by a kind nurse. It is the story that carries the movie. Rock band Metallica own the rights to the movie. They bought them instead of having to continue on paying royalty fees after snippets of the film were featured in their music video for the song One.

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

I've almost watched this a few times in the past, but passed due to it's average IMDb score and the fact that I've never heard much about it. After hearing positive remarks from Cobpyth, I was convinced to give it a try, with mixed results. I'm a sucker for movies set in the 70's and 80's, especially when accompanied by a major soundtrack. For that reason, I enjoyed it. It definitely brought me back to the good old days, although I was a little disappointed in the atmosphere. The music was perfect, but except for occasional small touches, it didn't look or feel like the 80's to me. It also lacks the edge that I had hoped for. Maybe because it's about yuppies, looking for love and all that good stuff. Not much plot, which is fine, because that's not why I watched the movie. I thought it was decent.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

+

I had seen this a few times, and went into this viewing considering it the most boring movie I've ever seen. It's still not suited to my taste, and I didn't love it, but I finally enjoyed and appreciated it. It is slow and long, and many of the scenes feel like they're going by in slow motion, yet I believe it is masterful filmmaking. I was captivated aurally and visually, and there is a bit of tension that comes with the Hal issue.

La La Land -
-

Felt pretty much the same about this as i felt about Whiplash; it had its moments not a film i care about that much though. It wasn't a good start; i despised the cheesy traffic jam song and instantly dreaded more of the same if i'm honest. That was easily my biggest problem the majority of the songs didn't work for me and some i outright hated. I dunno it felt like a Live Action Disney Film during some of the songs to me; people randomly bursting into song and dances is just not something i enjoy usually it takes me right out the film, i can understand why others like it but i don't. The visuals were outstanding certainly can't fault them; it was very stylish and well shot. Gosling and Stone were both pretty good, i didn't find either performance that great though. Absolutely no complaints about either of them but i also don't feel the need to heap praise on them. Wasn't a big fan of how they got introduced; Emma Stone dancing to I Ran at the party was so cringey and with the exception of the singing everything about it felt familiar; the chance unpleasant first meeting, seemingly bumping into each other everywhere, etc, not very interesting. If you take away that first song i'm not even sure how you are supposed to believe they were into each other; they had two unpleasant encounters both times Gosling acted like a complete dick then next time they meet they were suddenly playfully flirting at a party what? Whatever. Their relationship did become more believable as it went on at least, they had good chemistry even though i didn't like the timeskip as soon as they first got together. I felt they should've continued building the relationship instead it was just the theatre scene (which i really liked) where they kiss then it's summer and they are an established couple. Anyway i don't want to continue being negative as there wasn't much more i liked; i felt them not ending up together was a good move and the ending was pretty good.

Yeah, so not for me. The rating is mainly for the cinematography which was excellent throughout. Hope it doesn't win Best Picture but it looks like it will.

Welcome to the human race...
Resident Evil: Afterlife -

Ah, screw it, I might as well admit that I straight-up like these movies.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Resident Evil: Afterlife -

Ah, screw it, I might as well admit that I straight-up like these movies.
well....now you have to rank them.

Suspect's Reviews

The Birdcage (1996)