The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

The Quick and the Dead
(Sam Raimi, 1995)

Western purists probably don't have much love for Sam Raimi's cut-to-the-chase tale of revenge, I think it's a wonderful piece of entertainment. It's got a great cast, including Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, and Leonardo DiCaprio and a quick pace. Never a dull moment for me.
One of my favorite westerns from the last 30 years. It's put together well...it's one of those movies where each scene is like a mini story in itself. Very satisfying, and like you said never a dull moment.

Dances With Wolves
(Kevin Costner, 1990)

A gorgeous cinematic love letter to the old frontier.
This would be one of my all time favorite westerns. Totally different in construction than the Quick and the Dead, it's long but never drags, it's slower paced which suits the story telling well. Good one!

Can't believe I still haven't seen Dances With Wolves. Guess I was wrong about my prediction. Not much in common popping up.
Well I've still got 30 to go. Maybe there will be something in there that you like besides Gladiator.

Love Dances With Wolves, we have a 100 movie in common. I just felt the universe shift.

Quick And The Dead is a cool flick.

Haven't seen Sandlot in a very long time, even back then I wasn't attached like so many. Weird because I love baseball flicks. I may have been just outside of the age target when it came out.

The Pirate movies exist, good for them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Demolition Man
(Macro Brambilla, 1993)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 85

So this is not exactly top-notch movie making in the traditional sense - it's completely over the top and ridiculous and with a cast that includes Sylvester Stallone and Rob Schneider the acting is not exactly Oscar worthy - but it is top-notch entertainment.

I just watched Demolition Man, and I'm surprised you would like a movie where the main character eats a ratburger, and calls it "the best burger he's ever eaten".

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I bought the DVD of Clay Pigeons because I liked Joaquin Phoenix and Vince Vaughn in Return to Paradise, but I don't think I've ever watched it.

After I saw Christian Slater in Heathers, I watched several of his movies including Untamed Heart. I don't remember a lot about it, but I remember thinking it was a good movie.

I saw Dances With Wolves in the theater a long time ago, and I loved it so much at the time that I bought it on VHS, (and I also bought the audiobook). I haven't watched it since then. Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Ghost World
(Terry Zwigoff, 2001)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 25

This movie is sarcastic and darkly funny, but it also beautifully captures that feeling of social disconnect that many of us experience.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
(Kevin Reynolds, 1991)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 34, 2013 - 29

With its grand adventure, romance, and one of film's greatest villains, this is the movie that made me love movies. I do not, however, love that stupid theme song. Oh yeah, and Kevin Costner and Christian Slater looked quite good. Have I mentioned yet that Christian Slater was f*cking hot back in the day? Because he was. Damn, he was.

Edward Scissorhands
(Tim Burton, 1990)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 17

There once was a time when I considered Tim Burton to be my favorite director (If you ask me now, the answer is nobody) and Edward Scissorhands is a huge reason why. A wonderful little fantasy full of color, humor, romance, and heartache.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...I liked that one pretty well. What did you think of Russell Crowe's Robin Hood (2010)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves...I liked that one pretty well. What did you think of Russell Crowe's Robin Hood (2010)
I liked it quite a bit, though it's not a favorite. I haven't seen it in quite awhile though. I remember particularly liking the chemistry between Crowe and Blanchet.

I also like Robin Hood: Men In Tights, but it's also not a favorite. I never could get into any of the other Robin Hood films though, not even the Disney one.

Have you seen Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)?
You might like that one, Errol is a pretty cool dude and has lots of screen appeal.
I saw it when I was a teen and didn't like it. I may give it another shot at some point.