Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Was she in Still Alice? (that's rhetorical, as otherwise you wouldn't have just said she was)
I forgot about her being in it, she must have been the daughter of Julianne Moore, if so I think I liked her? I'll have to go read my review of Still Alice to found out!

Edit update: I guess I was impressed with Kristen Stewart in Still Alice.

Kristen Stewart was very good in Still Alice. I was surprised but she has ability.

She was good in Cafe Society too...also loved her as Jodie Foster's daughter in Panic Room.

She was good in Cafe Society too...also loved her as Jodie Foster's daughter in Panic Room.
Funny as this might seem, I didn't remember her in Cafe Society either, so I had to go and read my own review. It's a good thing I do reviews or I wouldn't know if I had liked a movie or not

Excerpt from my review of Cafe Society
The two saving graces of this movie is: Woody does know how to dress and shoot a period piece film to make it look stunning. The other grace is Blake Lively (The Age of Adeline). Blake out charms and out classes the rest of the cast, especially the inept Jesse Eisenberg and the milquetoast Kristen Stewart.

Murder, She Baked: A Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery (2015)

Director: Mark Jean
Writers: Joanne Fluke(novel), Nancey Silvers(screen play)
Cast: Alison Sweeney, Cameron Mathison, Lisa Durupt
Genre: Cozy-Mystery Drama

about: Hannah, a single woman who's a pastry baker and owns a small cookie shop in a small town....turns amateur detective after finding her delivery driver murdered behind her shop! She then takes it upon herself to find the elusive killer, which puts her at odds with the handsome detective, who's recently widowed.

Review: A fun little Hallmark movie based on the 'cozy mystery' novels by Joanne Fluke. Think of this as the TV show Murder She Wrote, only our detective is a much younger and attractive woman (Alison Sweeney) and she like to make fancy cookies! Hallmark made four of these movies so far, this is the first one in the series. Rumor has it, Hallmark will be cooking up more murder treats in the future.

I though this was charming! An easy, relaxing watch. I liked Hannah, she was perky, likable (that's why I liked her) and she's in just about every scene...so it's a good thing she was cast in this.

It's a fun little murder mystery with a dash of romance and a pinch of comedy thrown in for good measure. This was filmed in a couple of small towns in British Columbia, Canada...so it feels like you are in a real small town and not in some studio. That's a big plus.

It feels like a Hallmark movie, because it is!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murder She Baked (4).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	28622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murder She Baked (3).jpg
Views:	555
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	28623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murder She Baked (2).jpg
Views:	566
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	28624  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't think I've seen any of the Murder, She Baked movies, but I've seen a few of the Garage Sale Mystery movies and the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies on the Hallmark channel, and I like them, so I'll have to check out some of the Murder, She Baked movies.

I don't think I've seen any of the Murder, She Baked movies, but I've seen a few of the Garage Sale Mystery movies and the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies on the Hallmark channel, and I like them, so I'll have to check out some of the Murder, She Baked movies.
I'm glad you mentioned those other Hallmark movie series, I'd never heard of them but they sound fun You know it's nice to watch a non serious movie just for the heck of it, now and then. So I added those to my movie list, I'll have to check them out, but first I need to see the other three Murder She Baked movies

Murder, She Baked: A Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery (2015)

Director: Mark Jean
Writers: Joanne Fluke(novel), Nancey Silvers(screen play)
Cast: Alison Sweeney, Cameron Mathison, Lisa Durupt
Genre: Cozy-Mystery Drama

As a fan of former soap actors Allison Sweeney and Cameron Matheson, I might have to check this one out.

I Saw the Light (2015)

Director: Marc Abraham
Writers: Marc Abraham, Colin Escott(book)
Cast: Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Olsen, Maddie Hasson
Genre: Biography, Drama, Music

The life and times of country western singer Hank Williams. Who in his short turbulent life wrote some of the greatest country western songs ever recorded. He died at age 29.

I'll keep this short because this movie isn't worth the time to write a long review. I'm not a fan of country western music but I'm a fan of well made bio pics...including Walk the Line (2005) a fine bio pic about Johnny Cash.

Here director Marc Abraham takes an amazing true story of Hank Williams, a talented and self destructive man, and makes a snooze fest movie!

I think what went wrong is that the director tried to include too many scenes from the novel and so had to edit them down to their bare bones, to fit into a 2 hour movie.

Scenes start, without ending. There's no completion of many of the scenes. It's like the scenes fruition is missing. Scenes start out interesting, but in a flash it's months latter and we wondered what happened in the last scene...and the director doesn't bother to give the viewer a clue that time has past either.

What appears on the screen is just images without much of a story or emotional impact. Not a well made movie and that's too bad as it seemed like it had potential.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	I Saw the Light.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	28640  

I'm glad you mentioned those other Hallmark movie series, I'd never heard of them but they sound fun You know it's nice to watch a non serious movie just for the heck of it, now and then. So I added those to my movie list, I'll have to check them out, but first I need to see the other three Murder She Baked movies

I highly recommend the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies. They also had a TV series for one season, but instead of renewing the series, they switched to a series of movies.

It's kind of upsetting that the movie I Saw the Light sounds so bad. I was really looking forward to it.

I'll probably still watch it eventually, but it's dropped down quite a bit on my watchlist.

It's kind of upsetting that the movie I Saw the Light sounds so bad. I was really looking forward to it.

I'll probably still watch it eventually, but it's dropped down quite a bit on my watchlist.
If it's any consultation, the music was pretty darn good. I mean Hank Williams is acourse a better singer than the actor but hearing the songs performed at the Grand Ole Opry was pretty cool. Definitely the high point of the movie for me. I'm sure you wouldn't hate it.

Real Genius (1985)
Director: Martha Coolidge
Cast: Val Kilmer, Gabriel Jarret, Michelle Meyrink
Genre: Comedy

About: An awkward 15 year old genius joins a wacky but elite group of hyper-intelligent students working on a secret high power laser project at Pacific Tech. A technical university similar to Caltech.

Review
: I'd never heard of this movie, have you? It's main claim to fame is a very young Val Kilmer, who provides the wacky comic relief. Ahh...he's pretty good at it, he's no Tom Hanks but does carry the movie. Unfortunately the other lead, the 15 year old boy genius played by Gabriel Jarret is a snooze fest in a forgettable role. Though Gabe went onto bigger and better movies so good for him!

The best part of the movie is the wacky, out of touch with reality college students who've been duped to work on a high power death ray laser by their evil professor...who's under the CIA's control.

The exploding house of popcorn has to be seen to be believed! It's crazy what they did to a very real house, and it ain't no model or special effect, they literally blow the roof off the house with popcorn!

The "Popcorn Trick" sequence began with the construction of a full-sized Victorian house. Within the house, special effects coordinator devised an elaborate network of conveyor belts, hydraulic lifts, air blowers and vacuum hoses which would, on cue, turn 190,000 pounds of popcorn into a hot buttered tornado, blowing out the windows, doors and roof of the structure.
Worth watching just for the popcorn!

Cricket knows all the 80's stuff. He's a big fan of Motley Crue, those hair metal chicks.

Real Genius (1985)
Director: Martha Coolidge
Cast: Val Kilmer, Gabriel Jarret, Michelle Meyrink
Genre: Comedy

About: An akward 15 year old genius joins a wacky but elite group of hyper intelligent students working on a secret high power laser project at Pacific Tech. A technical university similar to Caltech.

Review
: I had never heard of this movie, have you? It's main claim to fame is a very young Val Kilmer, who provides the wacky comic relief. Ahh...he's pretty good at it, he's no Tom Hanks but does carry the movie. Unfortunately the other lead, the 15 year old boy genius played by Gabriel Jarret is a snooze fest in a forgettable role. Though Gabe went onto bigger and better movies so good for him!

The best part of the movie is the wacky out of touch with reality college students who have been duped to work on a high power death ray laser by their evil professor...who's under the CIAs control.

The exploding house of popcorn has to be seen to be believed. It's crazy what they did to a very real house, it ain't no model or special effect, they literally blow the roof off the house with popcorn!

Worth watching just for the popcorn!

Looks like a pretty kooky flick! I might just watch it for the popcorn scene. Is the plot decent enough?

I love Real Genius. It's one of those movies that I've seen about a hundred times, and I still watch it every time it's on TV, I'm not much of a fan of Gabriel Jarret in the movie, but it's easily my favorite Val Kilmer movie. William Atherton is great as Professor Hathaway too.

Wow again! How come I just found out about that movie now? I guess you and Cricket knew about it. Yup Professor Hathaway was a very interesting, good bad guy, well he wasn't really bad more like the CIA was using him.

Roy, there you go, GBG likes it, maybe give Real Genius a shot.