Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

What We Do in the Shadows - 8/10 Surprisingly funny and refreshingly different
Hush - 6/10 Interesting in some parts but nothing too great about it
Hell or High Water - 9/10 Amazing

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
It was truly awful.

1 enemy-with-balaclava-popping-out-of-bushes out of 5
That's funny. Last year, I tried watching A Good Man (2014), but, I had to turn it off.

Baby Boy (2001)

The struggles of a young black man in South Central L.A.
Wow, you really liked this movie a lot more than I did. I wouldn't call it a sequel just because it was directed by John Singleton. This movie was really hard to take due to a central character who is kind of an idiot and Tyrese Gibson's lifeless performance in the role didn't help...if it weren't for Ving Rhames and Taraji P Henson, this film would have been intolerable.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Man to Remember - 8.5/10

I don't think this movie would have made if FDR wasn't President. Seems like every movie during his Presidency were in the right direction, correct morals, for the people, not the fat-cat industrialists.

The movie has some funny scenes, too. "He was a good man... He paid every cent"

20th Century Women (2016)

A great move about gender roles, feminism, age gaps, and so forth that (almost) always escapes being heavy handed due to Mike Mills always caring about the drama just as much as his themes. Some of the best acting of 2016, particularly from Elle Fanning, Greta Gerwig, and Annette Bening especially, who plays a socially conscious, yet old fashioned mother who wants to connect with her son more than anything else, which is easily the biggest draw of the movie.

Split (2017)

Still doesn't capture what I liked about the best of M. Night Shyamalan, which turned pure B-movie storytelling into something broody, and self serious in the best possible way, but this one is on the right track. I think the old Shyamalan is long gone, but this definitely is the best of what he's turned into; the gimmick of his films are still here, but he's been more willing to laugh with the audience as of late, and I think it works with him for this movie. I think his restraint is what made this one better. It's typical, but entertaining all the way through, and it never laughs at you for sticking with it like some of his worst. I said typical, but Mcavoy is anything but, and he's the main reason you should check this one out. He undoubtedly had way too much fun with this role, and I did, too.

I said The Visit was his best since Unbreakable, but I feel like I can actually say it, and mean it this time without a bit of cynicism with Split, since it has me looking forward to what is to come from him after this. Also, please don't immediately leave the theater, you'll be missing one of the most exciting (although admittedly unneeded) movie reveals in years. If it wasn't there it wouldn't change my opinion a bit, but for fans, it's something to cheer for.

The Naked City (1948)

+

I can't understand why this isn't on the top 100 noirs list. I love the way it started out with it's look at the streets of New York, just showing different people going about their normal business, all the while somebody is being murdered. This beginning reminded me of another old noir, but I can't remember the name of it. Then we get into what is basically a police procedural. I think the strong point of the movie is it's direction, with how everything feels so intimate, as if we're really watching everything play out for real. The execution of the story, the performances, and the technical aspects are all very good. I'm glad I found this in Cob's movie log.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Wow, you really liked this movie a lot more than I did. I wouldn't call it a sequel just because it was directed by John Singleton. This movie was really hard to take due to a central character who is kind of an idiot and Tyrese Gibson's lifeless performance in the role didn't help...if it weren't for Ving Rhames and Taraji P Henson, this film would have been intolerable.
I admit, I had a big crush on Taraji P Henson in this one, that might've swayed me more than it should have...

The Naked City (1948)

+

I can't understand why this isn't on the top 100 noirs list. I love the way it started out with it's look at the streets of New York, just showing different people going about their normal business, all the while somebody is being murdered. This beginning reminded me of another old noir, but I can't remember the name of it. Then we get into what is basically a police procedural. I think the strong point of the movie is it's direction, with how everything feels so intimate, as if we're really watching everything play out for real. The execution of the story, the performances, and the technical aspects are all very good. I'm glad I found this in Cob's movie log.
About the same score I would give it too, I agree, it doesn't get enough credit. Some of the best camera work form that decade, and it would be up there for my favorite use of narration in any movie period.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Escape From L.A.

(John Carpenter)

Welcome to the human race, whatever that means. I think I liked this film as a kid and have since let it fall into the category of so bad it's good, but I feel that as of late, my generosity towards it has slipped. This movie is nuts in everyway possible. Props to Carpenter for keeping the film constantly on the go with enough weird kinetic energy that the energizer bunny would be jealous of, but that doesn't make up for literally everything else in this film. Poor CGI effects from a company that literally never worked with effects before, set pieces that feel staged and Peter Fonda surfing a tsunami are a fraction of the things that are laughable.

If there was one thing to take away from the film, it's that snake can shoot some hoops.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
It's like you took a 180 degree turn lately! What happened!

Iro won't be happy. As I recall, that's one of his rare higher ratings.
Not that high - I gave it a
on my most recent viewing (complete with review), so I'm still more lenient on it than most. Even I won't deny that it's got its issues, but I'm pretty indifferent to the clumsy CGI - that just adds to the charm for me.

“I was cured, all right!”

07/10
Maybe it's because of the nostalgia! But I really had a good time with this movies last night.

06/10
Same director and the only Seagal movie that I really like.

Good old action movies time.
I mean, f**k the rest, let's enjoy the explosions!
Really fun!
08/10