Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

I like the 12 Monkeys poster here better than the movie.

JayDee, JayDee! Where are you JayDee?!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Hello everyone

He told me several days ago that he's been having problems with his modem/router and that it was probably going to die soon. I hope that's all that's keeping him away.
That was indeed the reason for my absence.

Got a new modem though and all seems to be fine again. Got quite a lot of stuff to catch up on but will hopefully get this thread back up and running soon

EDIT - Oh yeah what happened with the Mofies? Did I win best thread?

Sadly, no. I think it went to the 50s countdown. I voted for you though.

Oh, and I won the presidency but lost every other category I was nominated in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I knew the 50's Countdown thread would probably win, but I voted for your "Movie Poster A Day" thread. I don't post in here a lot because either I haven't seen a lot of the movies, or I don't like some of the movies, but I follow this thread and I love most of the posters.

Sadly, no. I think it went to the 50s countdown. I voted for you though.

Oh, and I won the presidency but lost every other category I was nominated in.
Aw nerts!!! To be honest I was pretty sure that the 50s countdown would win. The only slim chance I was holding onto was that the vote would be split between the two countdown threads and I could just sneak in. Second spot and a silver medal is pretty good though.

Woohoo! President Vicky, it just had to be. And as a large contributor to your campaign in terms of the banners I'm going to count that as a bit of a victory for me as well. And it goes without saying that I obviously voted for you. In fact I'm pretty sure I voted for you in every category you were eligible in

I knew the 50's Countdown thread would probably win, but I voted for your "Movie Poster A Day" thread. I don't post in here a lot because either I haven't seen a lot of the movies, or I don't like some of the movies, but I follow this thread and I love most of the posters.
Aw thanks GBG.

Fun theme! Your thread is making me excited to take graphic design.
Oh that's cool, look forward to seeing some of your work from it. Maybe one day I'll be able to post a movie poster you've made!

Saved both of those, really love the Fellowship poster
I actually own a print of that poster.

Glad youre back Jay Dee.

Ive been saving my favorites that youve posted, and when/if I get 365 of them Ill make it my one a day screensaver. I think itd be cool.

January 15th

Well I was needing some inspiration to kick start the thread again, a theme to get me going. And I could think of nothing more appropriate than (drum roll please).........................

Miss Vicky Week part 2!!!

That's right, another week of posters dedicated to Miss Vicky. It seems only right after all given her fantastic election victory. And to celebrate it's just one poster, but three variants. Hail to the chief!

Edward Scissorhands
(1990, d. Tim Burton / Artist - Laurent Durieux)

January 16th

It's time for Vicky's favourite entry of the Indiana Jones series, and a film which has quite the fervent following on here. Tuck into your monkey brains everyone, it's Temple of Doom time.

I don't think I was totally sold on this poster the first time I saw it but it's really grown on me. What I like about it is the atypical design. Most alternative and fan takes on the Indy films seem to follow the example of the legendary Drew Struzan and go down the illustrated montage/collage approach. So I like how different this one is with its silhouette work. I also think it does a nice job of capturing the dual nature of Indy's life. On the one hand he's just a normal guy; a college professor for goodness sake, but on the other he's this incredible adventurer

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
(1984, d. Steven Spielberg / Artist - Berkay Daglar)

January 17th

Oh I love this poster so much! The artist, Tom Whalen, has done posters for absolutely loads of animated films. He certainly has his own unique style and if I'm honest he can be a bit hit and miss for me. However this one I just adore; definitely his best in my eyes. In fact I actually tried to purchase this when it was released a few months back. Unfortunately it sold out instantly and I wasn't fortunate enough to snag one. I had a look on ebay but the prices were just too high (hundreds of pounds). Hopefully one day when it's not such a hot item I'll be able to pick one up.

Wall-e
(2008, d. Andrew Stanton / Artitst - Tom Whalen)

Love it! I don't think Tongo will be saving this one, though.
Nah, but I gave it the deserved rep and saved one of the Scissorhands, and the Wall-E one. Yeah it is pretty cool, as good as any poster posted so far.

January 18th

For Day 4 of Miss Vicky Week part 2 it's another of her beloved Pixar films. Short on time but will just say that I think this is just a smart, simple idea; placing the title in a restaurant signboard

Ratatouille
(2007, d. Brad Bird & Jan Pinkava / Artist - Joris Laquittant)

January 19th

Day 5 for Miss Vicky. Just to let you know by the way MV I've decided to go with 7 new movies for you. Was considering one or two repeats from your first week for films that have inspired several great posters (Eternal Sunshine, Her etc) but can leave them for the future.

Today it's time for a bit of romance, a bit of True Romance in fact. And it's back to one of my favourite artists - Gabz. And I think this is one of his best designs. I've included both variants of it. The first with the cool blues is titled "Detroit", the second with the hot pink is "Los Angeles"

True Romance
(1993, d. Tony Scott / Grzegorz Domaradzki aka Gabz)

January 20th

Now there are some posters that were so perfect and which subsequently became so iconic that they can't really be improved upon. I'd say that the classic poster for Being John Malkovich would probably fall into that category. However this attempt at reimagining it does a pretty decent job in its own right and is my favourite of what I've found so far. The design both alludes to the occupation of John Cusack's character while also touching upon the strange occurence that allows others to take control of John Malkovich and turn him into their own personal puppet

Being John Malkovich

(1999, d. Spike Jonze / Artist - Guillaume Morrellec)