Hearts in atlantis

→ in
Tools    

Has no one here seen this yet? I heard its out in the US already. Doesnt anybody here ever review new US movies? Wheres the reviews for Glitter?

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Wheres the reviews for Glitter?
In a place too horrible to speak of. It is my sincere hope that NO ONE here will have stooped low enough to see that movie. It completely bombed (100% crash and burn, my friend) at the box office, and it's getting the crap kicked out of if critically.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I didn't think it came out til the 28th??? Correct me if I'm wrong on this one. As for Glitter....well, I don't think any explanation is needed for that one.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Hearts in Atlantis had a "sneak preview" thing going this weekend...only playing on Friday and Saturday evening, or something like that...so some people did see it. But yeah, the "full" release is on the 28th.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
That's what I thought. Looks to be a very good movie. Saw the book the other day and was tempted to buy it, but I think I'm going to hold off on it.

Looking forward to it.

Now With Moveable Parts
I read the book and I would very much like to know how this movie accomplishes to tell this story...I bet I do the review thread before any of you do...Ha!

Apparently the book/movie differ quite a bit. The book branches off into other stories, each of which is somewhat/mildly connected to the one before. I hear that the first story in the book is the only one about the old man, and as such, the movie is only about that part of the book.

Now With Moveable Parts
Huh...interesting.I hope it doesn't suck.Reallt,there's nothing worse than an adaptation of something you liked,sucking.

The Adventure Starts Here!
sades,

I am in the deep midst of that big book (Hearts in Atlantis). My guess is that the film is only dealing with the first story segment of the book -- where the kid is still a kid.

The trouble I had immediately upon seeing the preview was not Anthony Hopkins per se (I adore nearly everything he does), but the fact that the character he's playing is now TOTALLY different from the one in the book, which is an old (as in near-death OLD), skinny, southern-type black man.

As good as Hopkins is, apparently he's not going to pull THAT one off, is he?

If you read the book too ... what do you think they're going to do with the "bad guys" in the movie (no spoilers, please, just impressions)? You get no hints in the commercials I've seen....

Seems to me that the filmmakers always significantly screw up Stephen King stories when they're supposed to be creepy, but they often pull off to success the ones that are more positive.

Cases in point:

Horror: Christine, Pet Sematary (sorry, but the movie wasn't good), The Langoliers, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things -- all were scary as books, barely passably scary as movies

More Upbeat: The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me -- all really well done and all fairly successful.

There were a few King horrors they did pull off, KINDA -- such as Carrie, The Shining, The Stand, It, Dolores Claiborne, Misery. All of these were relatively close to the book and worked all right, although the books are always scarier to me (esp. late at night before bed, yikes!).

Well, with this new one, we'll have to see....Hopkins may end up saving it instead of skewing it....

Linda

Iam new to this chat forum, so hello to eveyone, in responding to "hearts in atlantis" it is very rare that steven king is translated from book to film successfully, but I will still go see the film because he is one of our best story tellers. the book was great anyway.

Now With Moveable Parts
Welcome to the coolest forum to dish flicks neesee,I whole heartedly encourage you to keep coming back...a lot of new posters disapear after awhile...I have my eye on you.*picture Robert DeNiro doing that,"I have my eye on you" thing from Meet the Parents*

Naw, it's all wrong!

"Now listen, Focker. I'm a patient man, but I will be watching you. If I find that you are trying to corrupt my first-born child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown."

Oh, and I second that: welcome to MovieForums. You're not officially a MoFo.

Now With Moveable Parts
I will serve as neesee's personal guide and confidant at this forum...I have some time invested in this poster...I will make you a legend...what say you neesee?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Naw, it's all wrong!

"Now listen, Focker. I'm a patient man, but I will be watching you. If I find that you are trying to corrupt my first-born child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown."

Oh, and I second that: welcome to MovieForums. You're not officially a MoFo.
SOR-REEE TWT...sheesh!

"I have you in my eye sir"
"No sir, I have you in MY eye!'

Madness of King George. I love that movie.

Now With Moveable Parts
That was a great one sunfrog.

Hmmm, I read earlier that something like 9 out of every 10 people surveyed that saw "Hearts in Atlantis" during the sneak preview this past weekend rated it as either "Very Good" or "Excellent." Interesting...I've only read one "official" review, and it gave it 5 out of 10. Maybe, as a result, "Zoolander" will make a little less than I'd anticipated.

Well I hope it makes at least $10 mil in first US weekend. Id be happy whit that. Are you seein it this weekend TWT?

Yeah, probably tomorrow. It'll make closer to $20 million than $10 million, in my opinion. Could finish around $15, but I'm guessing $18-20. I tried to get Margaret (a friend of mine), and her sister Emily to come see it. She actually brought the movie up first, and they really wanna see it, but are way too busy on Friday, which is the only day I could bring them along. Crap. Oh well, there's a small chance they'll be free next weekend, and I might like it enough to see it twice. You gonna see it?

Ill see Hearts when it gets here, right now the biggie is Moulin Rouge, which I havent even seen yet. Tooly wants to see the Fast & the furious but I REALLY WANT to see the Japanese pic Battle Royale! Its about high school kids who are let loose w/ little kit bags on an island but then they have to kill each other to WIN the game. Basiclly it asks the question, Would you kill yer good mate to survive? Its an 18 though so I gotta think of ways to trick Pigsnie into taking me.