Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I'd be willing to accept that it didn't have a significantly greater narrative point beyond demonstrating Saw's extremism - he was so far gone that he was okay with potentially destroying people's brains to satisfy his paranoia. It's why I mentioned witch-hunting - the whole thing is like that test where they would submerge the accused in a lake to see if she uses magic to save herself and just accepted any actual drownings as collateral damage in the war on witchcraft. In any case, I don't think it was guaranteed to destroy a person's brain, just that this was the worst-case scenario - the fact that Bodhi recovers sometime during the bit on the rainy planet suggests that he got off lucky compared to some of the monster's other victims.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Westworld (1973)

I'm probably one of the only members who hadn't seen either this movie, or some of the TV show. Strangely enough, I enjoyed it more before the robots went crazy. It's a cool concept and a cool movie.
The robots go crazy do they? Is that what the Simpsons theme park episode is based on? The one where they use cameras to scrabble the robots brain lol? I haven't seen it obviously.

“I was cured, all right!”

This was my second David Lynch movie!
Saw this and Lost Highway!
Both are AMAZING! I loved
I need more of this!
09/10
I'm in love with Laura Harring's breast!
;]

Unregistered User

Son Of Saul (2015)

Firstly, this is a really bleak and quite harrowing film that will never be 'enjoyable' to watch. The performances were ok and the conditions depicted were well made. The film started off well and was intriguing however the POV cinematography soon turned frustrating and all the meandering (literally) was really off putting, so much so that the film actually feels pointless at times.

Overall this is a difficult film to rate and I've probably marked it lower as its something I was really looking forward to seeing. Id like to say that it could improve on a rewatch but honestly, it'll be a while before I watch it again.

Yeah, I won't argue that. Like I said, I think I'm more willing to hold the tentacle monster thing against TFA than against Rogue One. The latter actually made it feel necessary (if not that well-executed in the end), whereas the former made it into an unnecessary action beat.
I will grant you the pointless action beat in TFA,

Son Of Saul (2015)

Firstly, this is a really bleak and quite harrowing film that will never be 'enjoyable' to watch. The performances were ok and the conditions depicted were well made. The film started off well and was intriguing however the POV cinematography soon turned frustrating and all the meandering (literally) was really off putting, so much so that the film actually feels pointless at times.

Overall this is a difficult film to rate and I've probably marked it lower as its something I was really looking forward to seeing. Id like to say that it could improve on a rewatch but honestly, it'll be a while before I watch it again.

I'd give it a 10/10. I thought it was remarkable.

'Lamb' (2015)

This was an unconventional movie. It's hard to describe with no spoilers. All I can say is that a middle aged man befriends a young girl. It is nothing new, and brought back shades of "Lolita" but the 2nd and 3rd acts make it very thought provoking although ambiguous. I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 because the 2 lead performances were so good. It is not one for the lovers of action packed cinema. In the end it's another movie with lots of questions and relatively few answers, but the journey that leads you there is quite unique as there is no real hero.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Serpico (1973, multiple rewatch)

Still a very good movie.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I am so confused by this tentacle monster discussion and why Minio isn't involved. I probably fell asleep during TFA and R1, but I'm lost on the tentacle talk.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Definitely making my top 10 of 2016. Great comedic and heartfelt moments throughout. Loved the references including a Lord of the Rings joke and there's a moment where Sam Neill's character Hector totally has a Dr. Alan Grant moment and I loved it.

[b]How the hell did Judd Hirsch end up with a son as good looking as River Phoenix? It was either a casting error, or Christine Lahti's character has some serious "splainin" to do.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Hell or High Water
+++ Way beyond a simple bank robbing flick this delves into the characters themselves in a laid back pace that still greatly entertains.

Morgan
+++ I was very surprised that IMDb only rated this a 5.8 perhaps because there's nothing "new" here. Still, a good sci-fi flick with dark undertones that, while I figured out the twist at the end, I had a good time getting there.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Swiss Army Man

(Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheitert)

The most original film of the year and one of the more original films of the last decade.

Suspect's Reviews

Rope (1948)

I enjoy Hitchcock, his films are never boring. I'd been wanting to see this for years so delved into it last night. As usual, the camerawork is mind boggling - I can only imagine what viewers in 1948 felt when faced with the long sequences, crafty scene splits and sprawling apartment shots. The way Hitchcock sets up the next bit of dialogue makes you feel that he was always thinking 2 or 3 sequences ahead. At some points I was more mesmerized by what Hitchcock was doing with the camera than the actual dialogue. There are also meticulously planned lights outside the apartment which must have been painstaking to get right. The plot itself was rather fanciful - with the high society lunatic type trying to get away with murder (American Psycho must have borrowed heavily from this template) - Hitchcock apparently hated this piece of work. I do feel that it's a little bit of "style over substance" in this case and I would give it a 7 out of 10 for that reason. But am still a little in awe by the technical nature of how it was made.

Watchmen (2009)

Bad (1977)

Carroll Baker of all people plays a woman who runs an electrolysis business out of her home, but it's really just a front for how she makes most of her money. She sends skanky women out to do requested murders, including children and dogs. This is an Andy Warhol produced movie, and I had him mixed up with John Waters. I kept thinking this wasn't as outrageous as something like Pink Flamingos, although it's pretty far out there. It could have been edited down a little, but it has a very seedy vibe, plenty of dark humor, and some really sick scenes. The baby out the window scene is one I'll remember.