Anyone else seen The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms?

Tools    

This movie predates Godzilla, and I think it's actually the better film of the two. The special effects were rather strong for their time. The dinosaur in this film looks better than Godzilla, who in my opinion, looked like a big air balloon they were trying to keep down.

Yes! This movie actually scared me when I was very little.
The beast was a Ray Harryhausen creature if I remember correctly (without cheating by looking it up)?
The animated beast probably looked a lot better than a guy in a rubber costume.

Still, the original Godzilla is a very dark and serious film - I've never seen the actual original Japanese version (1954), but only the American version (1956) where they spliced in scenes with Raymond Burr.

Yes! This movie actually scared me when I was very little.
The beast was a Ray Harryhausen creature if I remember correctly (without cheating by looking it up)?
The animated beast probably looked a lot better than a guy in a rubber costume.

Still, the original Godzilla is a very dark and serious film - I've never seen the actual original Japanese version (1954), but only the American version (1956) where they spliced in scenes with Raymond Burr.

Yep...Ray Harryhausen...one of the best. His dinosaur looked more like a dinosaur! Godzilla looked like a giant rubber toy like you said. I don't know if Godzilla was inspired by this film or not.

Yep...Ray Harryhausen...one of the best. His dinosaur looked more like a dinosaur! Godzilla looked like a giant rubber toy like you said. I don't know if Godzilla was inspired by this film or not.
Yep! Looked that up! And the first line in the trivia for the Beast (on IMDB) says that it inspired Japanese filmmakers to go ahead with Godzilla, which came out a year later.