The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Am I the only one who rates the films on these things???
If you don't give the films a rating, it makes it harder for others to guess what your final ballot might be ahead of time, and adds a bit more mystery to the proceedings.

Though honestly I just don't like having to give films a rating if I'm not required to haha. I didn't rate any of the films in the Chain Challenge either, when that was still a thing.

If you don't give the films a rating, it makes it harder for others to guess what your final ballot might be ahead of time, and adds a bit more mystery to the proceedings.

Though honestly I just don't like having to give films a rating if I'm not required to haha. I didn't rate any of the films in the Chain Challenge either, when that was still a thing.
I was in a couple small HoFs, and I refrained from rating the movies so my ballot wouldn't be obvious. In these bigger HoFs, I can't see anyone remembering all of them or going back to look. I do like the ambiguity of not rating them, but it helps me keep track.

Sanshiro Sugata

I would agree with the many who consider Akira Kurosawa to be one of the greatest directors of all time. He ended up having only 33 directing credits, and his first was just some scenes from a movie, and another was a made for TV documentary. Out of the remaining 31 films, Sanshiro Sugata was the 17th I have watched, and I fully intend to watch them all. This is definitely not one of his best or deepest, but it is certainly worth watching. Nope calls it one of his most underrated, and I would agree with that. At only 79 minutes long, it is a breeze to get through. You can see that it's not as smooth and crisp as his later films. Part of that is probably because it's his first, and part of that is because it's one of those films that was messed with resulting in lost footage. The movie is set in 1882 Japan, and for me the most important thing was that it looked and felt like 1882 Japan as how I'd imagine it. The characters, story, and cinematography all end up being pretty good. I don't think this movie will end up making the upcoming 40's list, and I don't think it should, but it's a good nomination as a landmark in film history celebrating a legendary director.

-

@RoyaleWitCheese-

That's pretty funny that you watched the other Joe, although I like that movie a lot as well. It gets a little formulaic at the end, but it has some intensity and excellent performances, including one of Cage's best.

Don't feel pressured to like my nomination. It's not for everyone, evidenced by it's fairly weak IMDb rating.

CASABLANCA
Some movies you`ve heard so much about you basically feel you`ve seen them eventhough you havent- this is defenitely one of them.I think this is the first movie ive seen of both Bogart and Bergman.
I dont think I need to say too much about this movie since its such a classic.
The acting and dialogue was great,interesting and compelling plotline and great chemistry between the two main actors.
One of my favourite parts was when he was waiting for her at the bar the first time,such vunerability from the leading man was not what I was expecting.The other favourite of mine was when pulled the gun at him.I wasnt expecting the ending to go as it did and although it was sad it makes the movie stick with you that much more. There were some overdramatic moments that were a bit too much for me,but I guess thats just how acting was done at the time- luckily there were fewer moments of this than expected so it didnt hurt the viewing for me.

Am I the only one who rates the films on these things??? Iam feeling kind of special right now, and not in a good way!
I always post ratings and I also post all of my write ups in my movie log as well as here.

I would say start with The Virgin Spring, Cries and Whispers, and Autumn Sonata.
thanks,i think im going to start of with the virgin spring.Although it seems pretty dark from the imdb description

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I would say start with The Virgin Spring, Cries and Whispers, and Autumn Sonata.
thanks,i think im going to start of with the virgin spring.Although it seems pretty dark from the imdb description
It inspired The Last House on the Left

You guys are flying on the noms. I need to get watching. I might be slower this time around but I will get the job done.

Oh, I don't rate my movies, too hard and too problematic....besides then someone will probably gripe that I had a movie with
lower on my voting list than a
. I rank my movies on the voting list by how much I enjoyed or didn't enjoy them.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I did rate the movies in the first HoF I joined, but halfway through I stopped for the reason mentioned above, keeping a bit of the mystery. After that I just didn't want to, didn't want any mix-up with first impressions and later thoughts.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Also, seeing as I haven't watched anything yet; I've been working for eight days straight now and will finally have some time off. I'll be spending that on some movies for the 12th as well as the Universal/Hammer HoF and the short animation HoF. My goal will be to watch at least one movie from each HoF per day (two for the shorts) and deliver some thoughts to the threads. I just went passed the library on my way home and found Hiroshima mon amour, so I'll watch that tomorrow. I also put in requests for another couple of movies that where loaned out, so they'll get here when they get here.

Until tomorrow then, happy hunting/watching.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
@RoyaleWitCheese-

That's pretty funny that you watched the other Joe, although I like that movie a lot as well. It gets a little formulaic at the end, but it has some intensity and excellent performances, including one of Cage's best.

Don't feel pressured to like my nomination. It's not for everyone, evidenced by it's fairly weak IMDb rating.
@cricket
.... Yeah, I watched the other Joe. I had copied all the names of the noms down on my phone without the year they were released, so I looked for the movies to watch with said list.
But I recently revamped my list to include everything so that doesn't happen again.
[+ ] Grand Budapest Hotel (2014; English) 8.1/8
[+ ] Romper stomper (1992; Australian) 6.8/6
[ ] Joe (1970; English) 6.9
[ ] Midnight Run (1988; English) 7.6
[ ] Withnail and I (1987; British) 7.8
[ ] Casablanca (1942; English) 8.6
[ ] Never let me go (2010; British) 7.2
[ ] U turn (1997; English) 6.8
[ ] The city of lost children (1995; French) 7.7
[ ] Sanshiro sugata (1943; Japanese) 6.8
[ ] Barbara (2012; German) 7.2
[ ] Hiroshima mon amour (1959; French) 8.0