Oscars 2017

Tools    

Hello guys what do u think which movie would be nominated in Oscars 2017.

According to predictions which i read on Earn the necklace were Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Fences,Arrival, Hell or High Water, Loving, Manchester by the Sea, and Moonlight,whom you think would win??

The Bib-iest of Nickels
A bunch of dramas and biographic films, deemed high-brow or artsy, regardless of whether or not they actually carry any strong performances, directing, subject-matter, or merit, so long as it keeps this superficial award show looking high-class and pretentious.

I'm just being a dick, I consider the Academy Awards, not as a representation of the best films by any stretch of the imagination, but rather, they give a spotlight to films of lesser mainstream appeal, allowing them to keep being created. It just happens that a lot of them fall into the category mentioned.

According to predictions which i read on Earn the necklace were Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Fences,Arrival, Hell or High Water, Loving, Manchester by the Sea, and Moonlight,whom you think would win??
Those are all good guesses by that site. Hidden Figures and Silence may make the cut either over Hacksaw Ridge and/or Arival or in addition to them. Jackie, Lion, or Sully have decent shots at being in the Best Picture mix there, somewhere. It's looking like the core three will be La La Land, Moonlight, and Manchester by the Sea. I liked all three of those very much. La La Land is my favorite, but it would be only the second Musical to win Best Picture since 1969 (all the winners being The Broadway Melody, The Great Ziegfeld, Going My Way, An American in Paris, Gigi, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Oliver!, and Chicago). I would think Manchester by the Sea has a slight edge over Moonlight, but I could see any of those three winning. And I'd be A-OK with any of them as Best Picture.

The Golden Globes are this Sunday, and the Oscar nominations are announced the morning of January 24th.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

La La Land, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water, Manchester By the Sea, Florence Foster Jenkins, Zootopia, Lion, Moonlight
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I think Meryl Streep will walk away with the Oscar for Best Actress. She was phenomenal in Florence Foster Jenkins.
If it's not her, then Emma Stone has a strong chance. Amy Adams would be the next possibility.

For Best Actor, Andrew Garfield, Denzel Washington, and Casey Affleck are the frontrunners. High Grant was superb in Florence Foster Jenkins, and, even though he is the co-lead in the film, the Academy might give him a Supporting Actor nod and he has a shot at winning in that category.

La La Land will definitely be there but Fences movie should also be nominated.

Krisha Fairchild as Krisha is easily the best performance i've seen this year. Depressing that she has no chance of being nominated, Sasha Lane in American Honey too.

Krisha Fairchild as Krisha is easily the best performance i've seen this year. Depressing that she has no chance of being nominated, Sasha Lane in American Honey too.
That's awesome to hear. I was part of the very small team that made that movie and we continue to be blown away by how well it's been received. We didn't really expect anyone to see it or to get theatrical distribution while we were making it and Krisha herself is the real deal. I hope you like It Comes at Night, Trey's next.

Yesterday was the last day for AMPAS members to vote, so I'll go ahead and do my predictions for the major categories. I'm listing double the number of total nominees, with the first four those I'm confident will be nominated and the next 6 my ranked predictions for who or what will fill the fifth, more open slot. In the case of Best Picture, I've broken it down into categories, with the first 8 who I think will be nominated, another 2 competing for the 9th and 10th spots that can be nominated in the event a full 10 films are, but often it's only 8, and the rest those that could upset for one of the slots. Here we go:

BEST PICTURE

LOCKS:
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
Arrival

LIKELY:
Fences
Lion
Hidden Figures
Hell or High Water

OLD-FASHIONED DARK HORSES FROM MASTER ELDER STATESMAN WHO’VE WON BIG BEFORE:
Hacksaw Ridge
Silence

GENUINELY GOOD INDIES FROM UP AND COMING TALENT WITH OSCAR APPEAL:
Jackie
20th Century Women
Loving

BAD MOVIES THAT HAVE DONE SURPRISINGLY WELL IN PRECURSORS AND COULD SURPRISE:
Deadpool
Sully
Captain Fantastic

TOTAL SPOILERS, DON’T COUNT OUT:
Nocturnal Animals
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle - La La Land
Kenneth Longeran - Manchester by the Sea
Barry Jenkins - Moonlight
Denis Villeneuve - Arrival

Garth Davis - Lion
Denzel Washington - Fences
David Mackenzie - Hell or High Water
Martin Scorsese - Silence
Mel Gibson - Hacksaw Ridge
Tom Ford - Nocturnal Animals

ACTOR:
Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
Denzel Washington - Fences
Andrew Garfield - Hacksaw Ridge (or Silence)
Ryan Gosling - La La Land

Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nocturnal Animals
Tom Hanks - Sully
Joel Edgerton -Loving
Ryan Reynolds -Deadpool
Dave Johns -I, Daniel Blake

ACTRESS:
Natalie Portman - Jackie
Emma Stone - La La Land
Amy Adams -Arrival
Meryl Streep -Florence Foster Jenkins

Isabelle Huppert - Elle
Annette Bening -20th Century Women
Emily Blunt -The Girl on the Train
Ruth Negga -Loving
Taraji P. Henson -Hidden Figures
Jessica Chastain -Miss Sloane

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Mahershala Ali -Moonlight
Jeff Bridges -Hell or High Water
Dev Patel -Lion
Lucas Hedges -Manchester by the Sea

Hugh Grant - Florence Foster Jenkins
Aaron-Taylor Johnson -Nocturnal Animals
Simon Helberg -Florence Foster Jenkins
Ben Foster -Hell or High Water
Michael Shannon -Nocturnal Animals
Someone from Silence (Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano, Issey Ogata)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Viola Davis -Fences
Michelle Williams -Manchester by the Sea
Nicole Kidman -Lion
Naomie Harris -Moonlight

Janelle Monae -Hidden Figures
Octavia Spencer -Hidden Figures
Greta Gerwig -20th Century Women
Molly Shannon -Other People
Hayley Squires -I, Daniel Blake
Lily Gladstone -Certain Women

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Manchester by the Sea
La La Land
Hell or High Water
The Lobster

20th Century Women
Captain Fantastic
Jackie
Hail, Caesar!
I, Daniel Blake
Toni Erdmann

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Moonlight
Arrival
Hidden Figures
Fences

Lion
Silence
Nocturnal Animals
Deadpool
Loving
Hacksaw Ridge

I was part of the very small team that made that movie and we continue to be blown away by how well it's been received. We didn't really expect anyone to see it or to get theatrical distribution while we were making it and Krisha is the real deal. I hope you like It Comes at Night, Trey's next.
Seriously? That's awesome man. What were you doing on the film if you don't mind me asking?

And yeah i really loved it. I was reading up on Trey after i had finished watching (wasn't aware while watching that Trey in the movie was the director) and he's in my mind probably the most promising young filmmaker i know at least. Definitely looking forward to that. Here was my review, it isn't really that good; part of it is just summarizing the plot because as i said i really didn't know how to write about what i felt was a unique experience -

http://www.movieforums.com/community...48#post1610548

Hopefully now that some members here know that someone who worked on the film is a member they'll finally start watching it

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I wish American Honey stood a chance in some categories. I really liked Sasha Lane as well. I love Andrea Arnold as well, I wish she had got some more BAFTA love.

Isabelle Huppert had better get a nom for Elle, although I'm not holding my breath since it didn't make the shortlist for best foreign film.

I wish American Honey stood a chance in some categories. I really liked Sasha Lane as well. I love Andrea Arnold as well, I wish she had got some more BAFTA love.

Isabelle Huppert had better get a nom for Elle, although I'm not holding my breath since it didn't make the shortlist for best foreign film.
Agreed with all of that. Seriously don't see Sasha Lane getting nominated; i've read too many of Holdens statistics to believe otherwise haha. I do think that Huppert will get nominated , can't see her winning though.

Did you know Andrea Arnold has won an Oscar? I watched her short film Wasp the other week then found out after it that it won the Oscar for Short Film. It has Danny Dyer in it . Here it is here, warning it is seriously bleak like practically every British film worth watching -

It's good though. He's not that bad in it, he's just exactly how he always is but it fits the film perfectly. Plus this was before The Football Factory before anyone even knew who he was.

Which Andrea Arnold movies have you seen out of interest?

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It's good though. He's not that bad in it, he's just exactly how he always is but it fits the film perfectly. Plus this was before The Football Factory before anyone even knew who he was.

Which Andrea Arnold movies have you seen out of interest?
Fish Tank and American Honey are the only ones I've seen. I keep meaning to watch Red Road, but I keep forgetting about it.

Fish Tank and American Honey are the only ones I've seen. I keep meaning to watch Red Road, but I keep forgetting about it.
Not seen her Wuthering Heights yet seen the other three and Wasp though. IMO:

01.American Honey
02.Red Road
03.Fish Tank
04.Wasp

All are good though, hope you like Red Road. Arnold, Lynne Ramsey and Kelly Reichardt are among my favourite working directors. Don't think i could have even named a female director other than Katherine Bigelow say three years ago.