Which Hammer Horror Films would you recommend?

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I recently received a 30-pack of Universal Horror and I have been watching them left and right. I enjoy them, but I've yet to find a definitive film that tilts the needle in a positive direction. Ultimately, I think what I was searching for was a similar feeling to what I felt back when I was a kid and was watching all the slasher films for the first time or five or so years ago when I really dove into Full Moon Features. That is, that even if the films didn't have top-of-the-line actors, directors, or have in-depth, fully fleshed out concepts, I'd still find a lot to enjoy from them, and every once in a while, I'd find a film and think, "That was a really good film. I could go to bad for this film."

After I finish the Universal collection that started with Phantom of the Opera and ends with, I believe, the third Creature from the Black Lagoon film, I think I'll want to start on the Hammer films.

Unfortunately, there isn't a Hammer Collection box-set. I mean, I did find one box-set with twenty-one films, but it only includes the later films (no Dracula, Frankenstein, or any of that.), is available as a Region 2 disc (doesn't work on US DVD players), and is over $100 (which I don't think is worth it, maybe if it had the better known films).

Question: What Hammer Horror Films would you recommend? (Don't say all of them, ... I work in a retail store.) If you can go to bat with some of their originals, ones that aren't remakes, I'd be very grateful. Feel free to recommend some of the crime noir films either, though, I'll be focusing on them later on.

Here's What I'm Definitely Getting:
1. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
2. Dracula (1958)
3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
4. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
5. The Mummy (1959)
6. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
7. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
8. The Curse of the Werewolf (1960)
9. Phantom of the Opera (1962)
10. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)
11. The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
12. The Gorgon (1964)
13. Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) - If I can find it reasonably priced.
14. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
15. The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
16. The Devil Rides Out (1968)
17. Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
18. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

19. Scars of Dracula (1970)
20. The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
21. Countess Dracula (1971)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)
23. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)
24. Hands of the Ripper (1971)
25. Dracula A.D. 1972
26. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
27. The Legend of the Golden Vampires (1974)

On the Fence about:
1. X the Unknown
2. The Abominable Snowman
3. The Man Who Could Cheat Death
4. Never Take Sweets from a Stranger
5. The Reptile

The Bib-iest of Nickels
whats a hammer horror?someone who wakes up from the dead or is brought back?
Hammer Film Productions is a British film company, they made horror films from the 50s to the 70s. They had a legal agreement with Universal that allowed them to adapt some of their Universe monster films. The company has since fallen from grace, but they've had a small resurgence, doing films like The Woman in Black, The Quiet Ones, and Let Me In.

Curse of Frankenstein. Not just my fave Hammer, but one of my fave horrors in general.

Hammer Film Productions is a British film company, they made horror films from the 50s to the 70s. They had a legal agreement with Universal that allowed them to adapt some of their Universe monster films. The company has since fallen from grace, but they've had a small resurgence, doing films like The Woman in Black, The Quiet Ones, and Let Me In.
oh i see,Thank you for explaining! I really liked the woman in black and ive been meaning to see the quiet ones for a while now.
Ive never really given let me in a chance depsite great reviews,I think having children in the lead put me off it a bit for whatever reason.
I dont think ive seen any of the others though unfortunately.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Ive never really given let me in a chance depsite great reviews,I think having children in the lead put me off it a bit for whatever reason.
I dont think ive seen any of the others though unfortunately.
Let Me In's pretty solid! However, if subtitles don't bother you, the original Danish film, Let The Right One In, is a lot better in my opinion. Both are good though.

Curse of Frankenstein. Not just my fave Hammer, but one of my fave horrors in general.
Incidentally, this is the one I am most interested in. Except for, maybe, Dracula. The cover-work for Curse of Frankenstein gives me a Leather-face vibe.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) is my favourite Hammer Horror, although I know many people hate it. It blends Hammer's Dracula with Shaw Brother's wuxia and the final result is the cheesiest Hammer ever (and therefore the best, naturally).

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Coincidentally, I just got my first book on Bigfoot (it's in encyclopedic form), and one of the entries is for the Hammer Film "The Abominable Snowman" (1957).

The book says this film stands out as being very different from Hammer's other classic monster movies as, not only is it black & white (unlike most of Hammer's bloody colorful horror movies) but it is insightful & provocative while providing subtleties that can't really be explained without giving away spoilers.

It stars Hammer mainstay Peter Cushing & Forrest Tucker of F-Troop fame (now there's an odd team up!) I haven't seen it, but am now keeping an eye out for it after reading about it.

I think you've got most of the ones I'd recommend, but I'd also throw out The Reptile, Demons Of The Mind and Vampire Circus. Demons Of The Mind is an odd one and I can see it not working for some people. There's a strange mix of psychoanalysis and folk horror which I think work well together but are kind of clunky. It's a culture clash between 'science' and 'the old ways'.

Most don't care for it, but I like 'The Karnstein Trilogy', but then, I would. The Vampire Lovers, Lust For A Vampire and Twins Of Evil.

A couple of non-horror Hammer films you might be interested in, too, are The Nanny and Straight On Till Morning.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) is my favourite Hammer Horror, although I know many people hate it. It blends Hammer's Dracula with Shaw Brother's wuxia and the final result is the cheesiest Hammer ever (and therefore the best, naturally).
I intended to buy it. Cheesy can be a lot of fun.

Coincidentally, I just got my first book on Bigfoot (it's in encyclopedic form), and one of the entries is for the Hammer Film "The Abominable Snowman" (1957).
I was on the fence about this one, but I'll definitely check it out now, thanks!

I think you've got most of the ones I'd recommend, but I'd also throw out The Reptile, Demons Of The Mind and Vampire Circus. Demons Of The Mind is an odd one and I can see it not working for some people.
I tried to make my list definitive! In a lot of ways, I knew I wouldn't likely receive a lot of new entries, but, if nothing else, I would receive a hierarchy of the films, which ones to make as a priority.

Dracula (1958)

Horror of Dracula, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and X The Unknown, which is essentially what a Jon Pertwee Doctor Who story would be like had it been made in the 50s.

If you can go to bat with some of their originals, ones that aren't remakes,
Unintentional pun

It's odd how many of these films I haven't seen all the way through. I do like The Devil Rides Out.

I quite like the Roger Corman and Vincent Price films actually – I mean Price is the man anyway.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The Curse of Frankenstein is incredible

Nothing else they've made comes close

Unfortunately, there isn't a Hammer Collection box-set. I mean, I did find one box-set with twenty-one films, but it only includes the later films (no Dracula, Frankenstein, or any of that.), is available as a Region 2 disc (doesn't work on US DVD players), and is over $100 (which I don't think is worth it, maybe if it had the better known films).
That's not true their are several Hammer collection box sets, I own 4 of them.

The 21 Film Set has five franchise films on it.
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Scars of Dracula
Frankenstien Created Woman
Horror of Frankenstein
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

Now you do need a region free DVD player for those but you should have one of those anyways. Because OOP DVD's can be very expensive but it's rare to have DVD's be out of print for all regions.

The other box sets
https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Coll...t+be+destroyed

https://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-...t+be+destroyed

https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Film-C...lms+collection

https://www.amazon.com/Werewolf-Para...RWH60MHGMRZC0A

Now for me the best ones are

The Abominable Snowman
The Mummy
Plague of the Zombies
Curse of the Werewolf
The Reptile