Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(A CHRISTMAS STANDARD) A Christmas Carol (1953)
My all time favorite version

Finished here. It's been fun.
Black Hawk Down*

I've always found this film dreadfully dull.

It's handsomely mounted (for the most part), and the action is occasionally gripping; however, the film is poorly paced, and the relentless action becomes numbing after a while. This isn't the jingoistic propaganda that Saving Private Ryan is, but the film doesn't quite develop into an effective anti-war film either.

One of Sir Ridley Scott's weaker films.

Welcome to the human race...
Sorry Iro, this is not the worst movie of the year.
Worst one I've seen. I know the difference between the two.

Black Hawk Down*

I've always found this film dreadfully dull.

It's handsomely mounted (for the most part), and the action is occasionally gripping; however, the film is poorly paced, and the relentless action becomes numbing after a while. This isn't the jingoistic propaganda that Saving Private Ryan is, but the film doesn't quite develop into an effective anti-war film either.

One of Sir Ridley Scott's weaker films.
Didn't like this either.

Foxcatcher -
+

Eh.. i'm not confident on this rating at all. I watched the first hour with a friend last night then the rest today because i was kinda into it even though she clearly wasn't.

I'm all over the place with Channings performance, at times i think he was great but at times i think he was a bit too intense; sometimes it just didn't seem to call for it and his constant scowling and rigid demeanor made it tough for me to imagine him as a real person so it really took me out of the film. Maybe the real Mark Schultz was like this, i trust he was actually because i think i respect Channings performance alot because it seems like he put alot into it and i trust he researched him rather than created some random persona. Honestly i don't even know what i'm saying because i do believe this is probably an accurate representation of Schultz from character descriptions which would mean his performance is solid, but how intense he was at all times just didn't feel right which oddly would mean i have more of a problem with the real person than Tatum. I remember reading on some Cracked list that the scene where he headbutts the mirror was real; Tatum did it himself it wasn't in the script and the blood was real, if true which i see no reason to disbelieve that sort of thing makes me believe that he put his all into becoming this person, and i believe he completely did his research. The main problem i have with my problem with Tatum is that if Schultz was always this intense then i'm happy that he was portrayed that way but i was always hoping for more scenes of him being happy, joking around, whatever, the most human he ever seemed was the ones around his brother and he was still super intense, and again i think that's more a problem i have with the real person which is insane.

Steve Carell was a bit hard to take at first; his make-up was horrible i honestly think if this was the first time i'd ever seen Carell that i would have thought the same. His first meeting with Schultz was also terrible; i couldn't stop thinking of Michael Scott but his role and performance quickly turns, and it makes the film so weird since he is alot more likable/believable than the victim. Not because he is a likable person but because he has a clearly showcased personality that makes you think about him and his actions.

Anyway, pretty good film. Disagree with alot of comments i've seen calling this one of the best of the decade but whatever.

Donnie Darko (2001)

I only saw this once back when it first came out on video. I liked it then, but it didn't leave a big impression and much of it faded from my memory. I thought with the upcoming Sci-Fi countdown, now would be a good time to watch it again. My appreciation of the movie has definitely grown, even though I'm still not sure what to make of a lot of it. I think it has a unique combination of creepy and cool that's hard to duplicate. There are several quirky but not too quirky performances, and it uses popular music to perfection.

The Game (1997) dir. David Fincher

"When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead" - Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit.

This is a great example of a "fridge logic" type of movie: most likely chock-full of plot holes and inconsistencies but I don't care, and surely won't waste my time trying to find out what's wrong with it. The moment you start nitpicking at a movie like this and dissecting its every flaw, the whole point gets lost. It's as much a game for the main character as it is for the audience - all you need to do is follow its twisted rules and just go with it.

So overall I enjoyed it - it was a fun ride!

Porco Rosso (1992)

It's awesome actually only I just want a bit bit more screentime in the ending, not narration like "I get along with miss gina" , e wut.
Still it's a solid

31 (2016)

-

Plenty of murder and mayhem but this is one of director Rob Zombie's weaker movies. He borrows a little from The Devil's Rejects in the beginning and the end, but the rest is lacking in style. It has it's moments, but it's mediocre.

I considered getting Rob Zombie's 31 the other day, but I figured - I thought - I just know already that I'm gonna hate this. I'm sure it's just two hours of "shocking" redneck ultraviolence with Sherri Moon Zombie stepping into the frame butt ass naked every minute.

I considered getting Rob Zombie's 31 the other day, but I figured - I thought - I just know already that I'm gonna hate this. I'm sure it's just two hours of "shocking" redneck ultraviolence with Sherri Moon Zombie stepping into the frame butt ass naked every minute.
It would have been better if it were all that.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
+

Excellent indie film. Great soundtrack. Pretty good acting. Loved watching it again. Right up there with Terminator, as far as great low budget films are concerned. Remake is crap, in comparison. I'll watch it again, in due time.

Nocturnal Animals

Intriguing premise, perfect cast and performances from all of Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Shannon (especially the latter) Overall, a well-made, well-acted, punchy little film that also reflects the angst of America's liberal elites.

8.5/10

Genius (2016)

i saw "the hill have eyes" movie last time as horror..