Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Layer Cake

"I'm not a gangster, I'm a businessman and my commodity happens to be cocaine"

What a cracking British crime drama, one of the best IMO Daniel Craig in one of his breakout roles,an unknown Ben whishaw and Tom hardy, intricately woven, intelligent, a real gem, this came of the back of "lock stock" and "snatch" but I think outshines both

4.5/5

Multiple grammatical errors in this sentence

Here is an alternative sentence:

Normally I would agree.

They killed him early in the movie and the kind of movie that the movie is going to be is established, this was very smart of the director because he says the tone of the the movie you are watching it was a very large shock when this happened during the movie. I liked it.

Your Welcome,
Typo_Bot
So the "Typo_Bot" corrects other peoples' post but gets "You're Welcome" wrong... Epic.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Day of the Outlaw (1959)
++ After reading Lucas' post regarding this I looked up and saw that Robert Ryan (The Wild Bunch, Dirty Dozen) stars in this with Burl Ives, and -OMG Tina Louise (Ginger from Gilligan's Island) and one of Ozzie Nelson's boys, David.
A DAMN good western. DAMN GOOD.

The Secret Life of Pets -
+

Not got much to say about this. I had an alright time watching it, i mostly thought everything was just average though. Passable animation, some pretty good jokes and a decent story just nothing i was crazy about. Think the voice acting was probably my favourite thing actually. Alot of this felt really familar like the flushed pets obviously being similar to the abandoned toys in Toy Story as well as the this is how dogs would sound while doing dog things like chasing butterflys if they could talk; i mean there's been countless jokes just like that in Family Guy even. So yeah an alright watch, nothing great though.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
All American Christmas Carol - 1/10 - An unofficial Christmas tradition of mine is that I review a movie each Christmas season based on "A Christmas Carol". 2014 was Scrooged; fantastic movie. 2015 was the 1937 A Christmas Carol; good solid film.

2016 was, unfortunately, this heaping pile of refuse. Nothing about it was good, and it barely stuck with the whole "Christmas Carol" theme, aside from the ghosts. It's centered around a trailer park mother of I don't remember how many kids, who refuses to work and just wants to party, drink, and have sex all the time. Well, as you could imagine, the ghosts come by to try and make her change her ways.

All in all, so forgettable, but I guess that's to be expected from a random Christmas movie on Netflix.

The Ref - 5/10 - This movie was pretty average in everything that it did, but I would be lying if I said I didn't laugh. Good lord, this film is pretty funny, almost hilarious but not quite.

It's about a thief who is on the run after a semi-successful/semi-failed robbery of a rich man's house on Christmas Eve. What does he do? He takes a married couple hostage. What he didn't plan on was being a referee (hence the title) for their ridiculous, over-the-top arguments. Things continue to escalate as the couple's family trickles in, as well as near run-ins with cops and a drunken Santa impersonator.

I would recommend it if you want a funny non-traditional Christmas movie. Don't let the kids watch, though, unless you're okay with them hearing a ton of F-bombs among other things as well as being exposed to sexual references.

limetless

Welcome to the human race...
Normally I would agree.

But by having the killer do just that very early on the movie, the director lets you know which type of movie he wants to make quite quickly. I mean, the movie has practically not even started yet when it happens. It came to me as a shock too, but despite expecting something different, it was still well enough made that I eventually didn't care
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
All I wanted was some explained motivation for the killer though.
Yeah, that was a nice touch, especially considering the specific circumstances that precipitated its occurrence. As for your second spoiler...

WARNING: "Hush" spoilers below
Given the film's general simplicity, it makes sense that the villain's motives are similarly simplistic. He's a sadistic hunter who likes to torment and kill people for fun - not sure if that really demands some sort of greater explanation. The scene where he encounters the worried neighbour late in the film suggests that he's got some deeper issues with control and insecurity - he has no problem straight-up attacking both the apparently-defenceless women in the film but has to pretend to be a cop in order to catch the physically-superior man off-guard. I do like that it's kind of kept to minor character details rather than given some grand exposition - too far in the other direction and you end up with something like Don't Breathe.

Last movie I watched...

Your Name -
, maybe

I realise the irony in me saying this, but it's weird to actually like a film and then check the Internet soon afterwards to read that people hate it. I try not to let that influence me, but also I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong that I'm just not seeing.

In any case, maybe my New Year's resolution will be to loosen up when it comes to four-star ratings. I've given out too few of them this year and that does feel wrong.

Welcome to the human race...
I imagine it's a tall-poppy thing where there's anime fans that feel like hating it for being too sappy or derivative or what-have-you. I get the impression that if I was a little better-versed in anime and Shinkai's work in particular (only other one I've seen is Voices of a Distant Star, which I liked) then I might be able to see through it a bit easier, but I really did like it (to the point where I can't help but second-guess if I really like it that much).

Right. At the start of this year i was watching quite a lot of Anime and i ended up reading the forums at MyAnimeList for a bit. I noticed that the members there seemed to quickly turn on anything that was really popular, i know that's only a tiny part of the anime community but i wonder if that has anything to do with it as well since it is the highest grossing anime film worldwide and is getting alot of critical acclaim.

I've watched 5 Centimeters Per Second (a couple of days ago actually) and The Garden of Words from Shinkai. I thought both were stunning but i really didn't get into the story of either. Hope this is different.

Rogue One(2016)

I actually really liked this one. A perfect blend of classic Star Wars, with all the colorful characters and sense of adventure and fun, as well as something new, something closer to a gritty war movie, ala Saving Private Ryan in space. I liked most of the characters, although I must say Felicity Jones felt kind of bland as Jyn Erso, which was kind of surprising since she was great in The Theory of Everything. I suppose it was the script, maybe she was not cut out to play this Han Solo-like character. The other characters however I really liked. Chirrut, Baze, K-2SO, Saw Gererra and Director Krennic were all well acted, unique and interesting in their own way. As a prequel, I liked this far more than Episodes I-III. It connected to the first Star Wars in a non-forced matter. The effects were great, even though some of them were very obviously CGI. But for the most part it blended well with the practical effects.

Overall, this is a prequel worthy of the name. Even though the film's got some problems in pacing and other matters, it worked out well in the end.

I give it an 8 out of 10!

Blue Jay -
-

Good film. Very sweet and pleasant movie but with a bit of sadness about both characters. It's basically one night of nostalgia between two high school sweethearts; Sarah Paulsons character who is now married with step-children and Mark Duplass character who is not married and is having a hard time in life. Good script, funny at times and two very good performances. Not really got any complaints about it even though i wouldn't call it one of the best of the year. The only thing was i didn't really understand why it was in black and white, it didn't look bad and it's not as if you actually need a reason but it felt like a weird choice.

That's part of the Typo_Bot "joke", whether one thinks it's funny or not.
Ah.

Oh and here are my first couple reviews since returning to the forum :

Tokyo Story (1953)
Overall a strong film with some very powerful moments.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
Got off to a slow start for me but it eventually picked up and turned into an entertaining sci-fi affair, though nothing really all that amazing happened.

I'm also gonna try to be a bit tougher on films when rating them, before I would be a little too quick to give out
's and
's and then ended up regretting giving a film such a high score later on. From now on anything that's
or above is worth watching!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Suicided Squad
+++ I think I can get to really like this one after several more rewatches.
Read a few old reviews about its lack of back stories, but to be honest, there as been a deluge of comic book movies and origin stories are a a very familiar recipe. So, cutting it to something minimal or damn near non existent isn't necessarily a bad thing. Especially since these things are rather episodic in their production, learning about someone's past as the story proceeds works quite nicely at times.

So, I did enjoy the characters and since I wasn't broadsided by Leto's version of Joker (and the fact that he had little to do in the movie) I was able to shrug him off and simply look at him in this new grittier DC light. And, even harder to due, try not to project the amazing, previous Jokers before him.
In the end, I am looking forward to seeing more of the Suicide Squad and, with the after credit scene; that got me curious to possible future confrontations.