Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I don't really agree with that as much as just feminism sky-rocketing in modern culture.
Miyazaki has been cited as a direct influence in having a female lead in Brave though. His influence on animation is hard to overstate.

In regards to moana: I would be interested in it if it were regarded as an exceptional Disney film in some sense (like Wreck it Ralph and Frozen).

Home Alone (1991)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tiny's Story - 5/10

ABC took a 10-minute interview with Ted Koppel, who asked simple generic questions, and they stretched this out to a two-part show that kept showing the first movie, and then the show they did before.. 2 minutes of show, 3 minutes of commercial. But, I wanted to see what what happened to her, hoping things would turn around for her, but I've learned that people who grow up in a horrible way might not ever grow up. She didn't ask to be born into the world, she didn't ask for the circumstances -- alcoholic mother, step-father who molested her, becoming a prostitute at 13, and then becoming like her mother, always intoxicated..

I guess there's a new movie -- I just thought of how ABC and others exploit her as well. Instead of one man having 10-15 minutes with her, transaction over ASAP, her horror is shown to millions, so that the networks can profit from her.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
to celebrate the first snow fall of the season, we started our traditional christmas movies with. . .

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) Nightmare Before Christmas
++

and

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) How the Grinch Stole Christmas

And how is it feminist to have a female lead? What the hell? Are females supposed to always be the sidekick?
I wasn't using feminist in a bad way, just that it's not surprising to have a female playing the role Moana did in today's world. Even though those older Disney films did have a female lead, many of them were the typical princess type. "Strong female" lead is a more accurate description, and yes yes I know Mulan did it first, but it was still uncommon.

Miyazaki has been cited as a direct influence in having a female lead in Brave though. His influence on animation is hard to overstate.
I agree he does have a big influence on animation but Camo's right,Snow White was a female lead and Miyazaki wasn't even born when it was originally released.

I wasn't using feminist in a bad way, just that it's not surprising to have a female playing the role Moana did in today's world. Even though those older Disney films did have a female lead, many of them were the typical princess type. "Strong female" lead is a more accurate description, and yes yes I know Mulan did it first, but it was still uncommon.

I agree he does have a big influence on animation but Camo's right,Snow White was a female lead and Miyazaki wasn't even born when it was originally released.
What I mean is that the modern trend regarding female leads specially strong ones was pretty much kick started by Miyazaki in animation and also live action (to a certain degree). Miyazaki's influence on Pixar is tremendous ( they always say they put a Miyazaki film to get inspiration) and Pixar's influence on modern American animated films is also tremendous.

The Thirteenth Tale (2013).

A haunting tale of secrets, madness and haunted houses told to a ghost writer by a reclusive, dying author. Very nice throwback to the novels written by Charlotte and Emily Bronte. Excellent performances by Olivia Colman, Vanessa Redgrave and Sophie Turner, and unforgettable, haunting music by Benjamin Wallfisch. 8/10

Avenged (2013)

-

This movie started out promisingly enough with a deaf/mute girl traveling out alone for the first time to visit her boyfriend. She stops in the desert to take a couple selfies-big mistake! She gets abducted by a group of savage Indian hating rednecks, and of course it ends badly for her. Somehow, she comes back for sweet bloody revenge. For an independent horror film, this is fairly well made with solid performances. The girl is a sympathetic figure and the bad guys appropriately menacing. There is a nice nasty edge to the film and it contains plenty of brutal violence. What ruined the movie for me is that it has a major supernatural side.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
La La Land (2016)

A heart-warming musical about fullfilling your dreams, set in the present, but with much in the way of stylistic touches taken from the 40's/50's (I'm not an expert, but it felt like that era to me at least). Cinematography and wardrobe made it a very beautiful movie to watch, with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling doing a great job portraying a struggeling actress and a jazz pianist looking to fulfill their dreams. Highly recommended to any musical fan as the score was above and beyond much I've heard in later years.

Måste Gitt (2017)

Metin's father told him as a kid that every man should do three things before he died; write a book, plant a tree and have a child. They planted a tree together that day, so that's taken care of. The kid isn't on the map as of yet, but he is writing a book. But seeing as it's a journal which describes both his and his friends' illegal activities, he can never show it. The very fact that the book exist could be enough to get him killed, as in his neighbourhood, if you snitch you get taken care of. That's just how it is. Imagine then how much trouble he might get into when he drops it at an interview, and it gets into the hands of a publisher who gets the notion of having it printed.

A powerful story about a guy's right to his own life story and the dangers of telling it. With both an emotional depth and a suprising sense of humor, it was a quick 100 mins that had me enjoy myself throughout, even with some pasing issues and dead time.

Why Him? (2016)

Funny, the one question I kept repeating throughout the movie was "WHY ME?!"

Basically it's a re-hash of Guess who's coming to dinner, but instead of white family/black boyfriend or black family/white boyfriend, it's eccentric app millionaire meets down-to-earth, hard working traditional family, led by Bryan Cranston, and not even his performance can save this movie from being a long series of groans from me as we deal with uncomfortably expilcit compliments, toilet humor (literal), uncomfortable situations and a metrosexual assistant doing a faux-Bruno (thankfully not played by Sacha Baron Cohen) with a funny german accent. Not for me, this.

Still, two out of three ain't bad.

La La Land (2016)

Why Him? (2016)

Enjoyed your reviews of both of these films...can't wait to see La La Land...btw, the name of the film to which you compared Why Him? is Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, not "Look".

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Big Chill (dir. Kasdan, 1983)

A stellar premise, but lacking in any real depth or insight. I never once believed that these characters were friends with one another -- I never bought it for one second. I'd much rather watch Cassavetes' Husbands tbh.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Enjoyed your reviews of both of these films...can't wait to see La La Land...btw, the name of the film to which you compared Why Him? is Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, not "Look".
Thank you, you're right. Will fix it.

latest is the longest day
i rated it 7/10

In The Mood For Love -
+

This was my third Wong Kar-Wai film; Fallen Angels i really need to see again i first watched it about three years ago and i remember very little about it other than that i quite liked it, Chungking Express i liked alot, the only thing keeping it back from becoming a favourite was certain parts of the story that didn't really work for me. Must admit this has always been a film i've been very nervous to watch, it is so beloved and acclaimed that i thought it would be tough to live up to the hype. Well i regret that because this lived up to if not surpassed my expectations.

The film looked amazing, i love WKW's style, Chungking Express i compared to Martin Scorsese and i stick by that there were certain scenes that reminded me of his films particularly Goodfellas, but that may have been a Chungking Express specific thing because i never picked up on any of that here. Something that works incredibly well much more than i'd ever expect which i found was present in Chungking and from directors i've seen at least it seems to be unique to him is his close (not close up just fairly close to the actors) shooting in these cramped spaces: hallways, rooms, etc it completely puts you inside the film with the characters. It especially worked remarkably well here because the film mostly took place in a crowded building. The colours were amazing too, honestly i really didn't notice anything that notable there until Mrs Chan first wears that red dress; after that everything just seemed to pop. Beautiful film.

And my god the music, it was devine. Scenes like the part with Mrs Chan walking down the stairs with a bucket (or something i don't really know what it was) before heading back up the stairs and the second she goes out of the shot Chow appears and walks down the same stairs; i mean that was practically nothing but the direction and the music together make it phenomenal. I think for my tastes that's something i'd compare him to Scorsese with: perfect music choices, absolutely nothing like the same kind of music or even the same kind of goals in mind from use of music but both manage to make a scene that much more beautiful, powerful, thrilling, whatever, from their use of music.

The story was great. I didn't expect it to be the way it was, i thought it would be a simple two characters fall in love story; had no idea about the spouses or the affair. I loved the idea of not really showing the husband or wife so we wouldn't have opinions on them since the films wasn't really about them; we of course dislike them on some level because we begin to love Mrs Chan and Chow but if anything the main reason for that (for me at least) is that we feel they should be together rather than anything to do with the affair. Tony and Maggie were perfect, couldn't ask for anything more from them. And i couldn't pick which one i prefer because i link the performances together so much; both of them were going through the same things and both have an amazing ability to convey so much with just a look. For instance during the rehearsal scene when Chow sees Mrs Chan start to tear up you briefly see his face cracking as if he is genuinely feeling for her as well as feeling the same because it is happening to him too before he quickly composes himself and asks her if she is ok; there was so many subtle things like that which absolutely made their interactions. Wondeful performances. From when Chow leaves to the end was devestating.

Amazing film, completely deserving of the praise it gets. The thing with Chungking Express is that i was so close to loving it, i adored the music and the visuals but the characters and story didn't completely work for me; here it all came together and if it holds up it may be a new favourite of mine.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Exodus: Gods and Kings

In terms of sheer spectacle, nearly flawless. Ridley Scott's Exodus redefines the word "epic", and it truly is breathtaking from an aesthetic standpoint. The plague sequences, alone, are some of the best set-pieces in recent memory. I do see understand the controversy with the whitewashing, but that's a problem that's always been rampant in Hollywood. It's certainly a messy film and, perhaps, a bit tonally incoherent. An execution is used as comic-relief, not just once, but twice.