Escape From New York - Remake

Tools    

Well, studios still aren't learning, and they've been working on a remake.

Originally they were going to make a prequel, and were working on it back in 2007 with Gerard Butler in the main role...

The project has had various directors attached, Brett Ratner, Len Wiseman (lol!), Jonathon Mostow (who did actually write a script back in 2008)... Butler dropped out though, and they dropped that prequel idea and decided a remake was a better idea.

So, since then, Joel Silver has taken up the reigns as producer and dropped out, Jeremy Renner was attached for a while in the lead, and Charlie Hunnam has been rumoured. as well to play Snake.
Joel Silver's company also write a treatment for a script, and it was based directly on the videogame Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Now we've got FOX with the rights to the remake, and they've hired ex-Silver employee Andrew Rona, the man behind Scary Movie, as their producer.
Neil Cross, the man behind two 2 Dr WHO episodes and the 2013 movie Mama, is now writing.

Things are not looking good.

No news on release dates yet.

Did you all know James Cameron was one of the Directors of Photography on EFNY? Wont be in this one.

Welcome to the human race...
Do you have a link to your particular source? Trying to Google any new developments is proving a little more difficult than I expected.

In any case, I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been searching "escape from new york remake 2016" and, aside from an IMDb page and one Den of Geek listicle that mentions 111 separate remakes that may or may not be happening, it seems like a lot of the results are from last year at the earliest so I'm not sure how seriously I'm supposed to take them in terms of reflecting the progress of an actual production. Even the reports cited on the Wikipedia page are from last year.

That isn't to say that it's not impossible but I figure that I'll wait until there's some new updates before getting too worried about it.

They'll probably cast a female.
No eye patch this time.
And a shaved head.

New name... Snookums Plissken.

No eye patch this time.
And a shaved head.

They already did that, it's called Doomsday.

They should just make a 3rd with Kurt Russell, I mean...Snake Plisken is the inspiration for Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid. People wouldnt mind seeing an old version of Snake.

They should just make a 3rd with Kurt Russell, I mean...Snake Plisken is the inspiration for Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid. People wouldnt mind seeing an old version of Snake.
I think the problem there is Carpenter himself. Between the weakness of his recent cinematic output, his focus on making music, and his generally cantankerous public persona that is openly contemptuous of Hollywood and his imitators, it certainly doesn't seem like he has any interest in actually returning to the director's chair. I'd like to believe that he could come out of retirement and make a third Snake movie in order to properly cap off not just the series but also his own career (sort of like a post-apocalyptic Unforgiven), but it looks like he just doesn't care about that anymore. While I imagine you could theoretically do a third movie without him, it just wouldn't be the same and could end up being as much of a sh*tshow as a standard remake.

I think the problem there is Carpenter himself. Between the weakness of his recent cinematic output, his focus on making music, and his generally cantankerous public persona that is openly contemptuous of Hollywood and his imitators, it certainly doesn't seem like he has any interest in actually returning to the director's chair. I'd like to believe that he could come out of retirement and make a third Snake movie in order to properly cap off not just the series but also his own career (sort of like a post-apocalyptic Unforgiven), but it looks like he just doesn't care about that anymore. While I imagine you could theoretically do a third movie without him, it just wouldn't be the same and could end up being as much of a sh*tshow as a standard remake.
It could. Though I think they could do better for a Director if you take the 2nd film into account. Depends on the story too, I cant even remember the plotline from the 2nd one. Cameron successfully followed Ridley Scott, so yeah it can happen.

Honestly, Id like to see Kurt Russell get a bump in his career again.

It could. Though I think they could do better for a Director if you take the 2nd film into account. Depends on the story too, I cant even remember the plotline from the 2nd one. Cameron successfully followed Ridley Scott, so yeah it can happen.

Honestly, Id like to see Kurt Russell get a bump in his career again.
If we're going to take Escape From L.A. into account, then we do have to account for the ways in which it seems to deconstruct the very concept of a sequel. Carpenter himself described it as "Snake going Hollywood", which goes towards explaining the recycled plot and painfully obvious special effects. Also consider the ending where

WARNING: "Escape From L.A." spoilers below
Snake sets off the doomsday device that shuts down all the technology on the planet and kicks off a new dark age

and see how it plays out like Carpenter is effectively salting the Earth when it comes to future Escape sequels. Not to say that it rules out a third film completely, but it definitely comes across as Carpenter making a statement that reflects his anti-Hollywood attitude. The film itself is heavily flawed, but it has a sense of purpose that belies its obvious cash-grab nature and it's hard to think of any directors that would be able to match his particular degree of idiosyncrasy. At best, we'd end up with a slavish but hollow imitation from Carpenter fanboys like Robert Rodriguez or Neil Marshall; at worst, we'd end up with a pseudo-remake hack job from someone like Len Wiseman or John Moore. As for your Scott-Cameron line, if anything the end result will probably end up being more like Fincher doing Alien 3.

In any case, I'd say Russell's career isn't doing too badly these days - the man was in Furious 7, after all.

No eye patch this time.
And a shaved head.

Or a black man WITH the eye patch.
But instead of Snake's long hair, he'll be bald and... oh wait.
(Sorry Marvel)