B&W films made into colour.

Tools    

Me too, that and Miracle on 34th Street (1947). I actually bought a colorized version of A Christmas Carol/Scrooge (1951) for a friend as a gift, probably a decade ago. You were able to choose B/W or Color from the display stand in the store.
Awful that they made the distinction – my copy has both versions and I think just for the sake of the history of the film that makes sense. I suppose it's a bit like the way Nosferatu and other films have that colour tinting to show what time of day it is at certain points of the story.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Right, but Blithe Spirit was filmed in color. And do they still colorize black and white films? I thought that fad was over. I remember Ted Turner was a big fan of doing that.
Yeah, but for 20 years after the film was made, there was no guarantee of actually seeing it broadcast in color. I appreciate any recolorization or remastering attempts and if you want to see it the way it may have been broadcast when you first saw it, the TV menu can help. I don't know if they still colorize.

The first national color broadcast (the 1954 Tournament of Roses Parade) occurred on January 1, 1954, but during the following ten years most network broadcasts, and nearly all local programming, continued to be in black-and-white. It was not until the mid-1960s that color sets started selling in large numbers, due in part to the color transition of 1965 in which it was announced that over half of all network prime-time programming would be broadcast in color that fall.
Source: Wikipedia

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I watched Volga-Volga (1938) in its colorized version and I thought the color works quite nicely for the glee musical atmosphere of the movie.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
Right, but Blithe Spirit was filmed in color. And do they still colorize black and white films? I thought that fad was over. I remember Ted Turner was a big fan of doing that.
Yes, and if they still do, has the process improved? I remember the ones that Ted Turner did back in the eighties, and the colors were muted and didn't look natural...

Just a bit of follow up, since the thread grabbed my interest...

MOVIES ON TELEVISION
Movie presentation on broadcast TV actually began in the late 1940s when British companies willingly rented films to new TV stations. Minor Hollywood studios, in particular Monogram and Republic, then jumped in, and delivered some 4,000 titles to television stations before the end of 1950. Typical offerings featured B-Westerns starring Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. But the repeated showings of this low budget fare only served to remind movie fans of the extraordinary number of treasures resting comfortably in the vaults of the major Hollywood studios: MGM, RKO, Paramount, Twentieth Century-Fox, and Warner Bros.

These dominant Hollywood studios finally agreed to tender their vast libraries of film titles to television because eccentric millionaire Howard Hughes, owner of RKO, had run his studio into the ground. By late in 1953, it was clear Hughes had to do something, and so few industry observers were surprised in 1954 when he agreed to sell RKO's older films to the General Tire & Rubber Company to be presented on its independent New York television station. By 1955 the popularity of Million Dollar Movie made it clear that film fans would abandon theaters to curl up and watch a re-showing of their past cinematic favorites.

Thereafter through the mid-1950s all the major Hollywood companies released their pre-1948 titles to television. For the first time in the 60-year history of film a national audience was able to watch, at their leisure, a broad cross section of the best and worst of Hollywood talkies. Silent films were only occasionally presented, usually in the form of compilations of the comedies of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton.
http://www.museum.tv/eotv/moviesontel.htm

Color Households On The Rise
According to NBC, there were only 2,860,000 color households in the United States as of January 1st, 1965 (though that was up from 1,620,000 on January 1st, 1964). By July 1st, the number stood at 3,600,000 and on October 1st it was at 4,450,000 color sets. NBC’s figure for January 1st, 1966 stood at 5,220,000, an 85% gain over the January 1st, 1965 number but still only 9.7% of all television households.
http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/color60s/

If the film was originally filmed in Black in White, keep it that way. F*** you Ted Turner for trying to colorize classics.

That being said, I will be buying the Black and Chrome version of Mad Max: Fury Road. Kind of the opposite of colorizing a B&W movie, so I am curious about it.

If the film was originally filmed in Black in White, keep it that way. F*** you Ted Turner for trying to colorize classics.

That being said, I will be buying the Black and Chrome version of Mad Max: Fury Road. Kind of the opposite of colorizing a B&W movie, so I am curious about it.
That does sound interesting. I was thinking the other day about Carry On Spying being made in black and white just because that was the right mood for the genre they were visiting at the time. Similarly it's often been said that my favourite Doctor Who story, The Happiness Patrol, would have been good in black and white – I'm not convinced. A bit like John Boorman's Point Blank is a colour film emulating black and white with its strict colour choices, The Happiness Patrol is like a colour German Expressionist or even Noir film. You need the colour to reinforce the message of the story.

I don't remind Colorizations of Classic Black and White films, as long as they give you a choice. I recently bought Miracle on 34th Street (1947) and It's a Wonderful Life (1946) from a website called "DVDPlanet.com" and they sent me a double disc of "Miracle on 34th Street" and a double disc of "It's A Wonderful Life" and they came with the "B&W" and Colorized versions, so you always have a choice. And even though the colorization of Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life, is completely flat, I do enjoy it because I am not a purist. And I am flexible. If you can't accept colorization, then you are a purist and you are not flexible.

I don't remind Colorizations of Classic Black and White films, as long as they give you a choice. I recently bought Miracle on 34th Street (1947) and It's a Wonderful Life (1946) from a website called "DVDPlanet.com" and they sent me a double disc of "Miracle on 34th Street" and a double disc of "It's A Wonderful Life" and they came with the "B&W" and Colorized versions, so you always have a choice. And even though the colorization of Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life, is completely flat, I do enjoy it because I am not a purist. And I am flexible. If you can't accept colorization, then you are a purist and you are not flexible.
...Why do you feel the need to label people who prefer something different than yourself? Can't you like colorized films without needing to call us who prefer the original B&W 'inflexible'.

...Why do you feel the need to label people who prefer something different than yourself? Can't you like colorized films without needing to call us who prefer the original B&W 'inflexible'.
If you can't accept colorization, then you are a purist and you are not flexible. ... or a dog, or color blind.