Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Doctor Strange
(2016) -
+

If you've seen any of the other Marvel films, then you know exactly what to expect here. Doctor Strange delivers exactly that. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm a huge fan of Doctor Strange, the comic character. I even made a costume from scratch, despite not knowing how to sew. On top of that, I really like Benedict Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton. This film didn't need to do much to keep me on board, yet nothing really managed to impress me. I saw the film in IMAX 3D, but other than for a few scenes, I didn't think the 3D was warranted at all.

Much like Thor, Doctor Strange had to take liberties with the source material to fit in with the rest of the MCU, with similar results. This wasn't by any means a bad adaptation, but they really missed the opportunity to do so much more, instead of playing the same familiar Marvel tune we've seen over a dozen times so far.

Welcome to the human race...
Firefox -

Uh-oh, maybe deciding to check out Clint's directorial deep-cuts wasn't the best idea.

Roger & Me -
+

image upload no compression

I think i've made it clear here before that i don't like Moore or his documentaries, but this was actually pretty good. He seemed alot more restrained, definitely think he became obnoxious and unbearable later possibly as a result of the attention this film got him. Was so sad to see what seemed like a great city collapse. I was aware of the plants closing in Flint being the thing that kicked off that citys problems but to actually see what it did to the city was pretty morbid. Oh my god i couldn't stop laughing at the whole come to Flint tourism scheme, that commercial . I felt bad finding it funny because you could tell this was out of desperation to try and get the city up and running again but it just came across so pathetic. I'm going to do something i thought i'd never do and give a bit of praise to Moore. This was about a very grim subject and i think the light humour throughout was well handled; it made it pretty entertaining without making light of the situation. If only he could've kept himself toned down in his later work. Pretty good documentary.

Blood Father (2016)

Mel Gibson made a decent comeback in Get the Gringo, and this movie is even better. It delivers exactly what it should, and what the viewer wants. It seems that most action movies these days get way too silly and over the top. This movie keeps it simple and concise with a runtime of less than 90 minutes. Gibson is great as an ex-con, ex drunk, ex all that, whose missing daughter finally surfaces. She's in big trouble and needs daddy's help. I expected Gibson to bring it, but the big surprise for me was how good the daughter (Erin Moriarty) was. It was also cool to have William Macy on hand in a small role as daddy's bud.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Roger & Me -
+

image upload no compression

I think i've made it clear here before that i don't like Moore or his documentaries, but this was actually pretty good. He seemed alot more restrained, definitely think he became obnoxious and unbearable later possibly as a result of the attention this film got him. Was so sad to see what seemed like a great city collapse. I was aware of the plants closing in Flint being the thing that kicked off that citys problems but to actually see what it did to the city was pretty morbid. Oh my god i couldn't stop laughing at the whole come to Flint tourism scheme, that commercial . I felt bad finding it funny because you could tell this was out of desperation to try and get the city up and running again but it just came across so pathetic. I'm going to do something i thought i'd never do and give a bit of praise to Moore. This was about a very grim subject and i think the light humour throughout was well handled; it made it pretty entertaining without making light of the situation. If only he could've kept himself toned down in his later work. Pretty good documentary.
Yeah, it was horrible in 1987, and only getting worse by the day. It's amazing how people all over the world have seen the movie, and I've seen everything in the movie. I guess I was lucky to go to Autoworld - I remember going on this slow ride, with something info around.

I know that rabbit-lady, she's a customer at my mom's store, I wonder if she still does it. People are so desperate here, they'll do ANYTHING. I had neighbors who had a 24/7 garage sale.

Today, I'll make a 2 mile drive and pass so many abandoned houses that people were kicked out of, which only lowers property value, drives businesses out instead of trying to work with people, instead of cheating them when a fixed mortgage all of a sudden isn't because of who knows what, and they know poor people can't afford all the legal proceedings, or even have the energy anymore.

You know the rabbit lady? Damn, i'm sure she is really nice but she came across at bit too into killing rabbits here. I forgot to say that in my post actually i really don't think they had to show her killing then gutting the rabbit. ugh horrible.

And yeah all of that is really sad. Seemed like a great city then within a few years it was dead.

Yeah, in the mid-60s, Flint and Detroit had the highest median income in the US.. The race riots didn't help, and we were a one-dimensional auto industry. The people who are a generation older than me were able to finish high school, make $100,000 doing easy (but tedious) work and support the entire family so the wife could stay home and watch the kids, instead of having a day care raise them.

As for the actual killing of rabbits, it's theatrical, things for people to talk about. Michael Moore will do anything to make money, including exploiting a city he's never lived in (he's from the suburbs)... At least pay a few dollars to re-open our old Capitol theater so we can watch HIS movies..

Notice how both candidates are in Michigan? NAFTA destroyed the mid-west, especially Michigan.

Yup, that sounds like the Michael Moore i hate. As i said i thought he was alot more restrained in this than in Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling For Columbine, but i still don't care for the guy at all. I wasn't even aware he was from the Suburbs, even though he didn't come out and say it the film gave me the impression that he grew up in Flint.

I thought Moore was from Flint too, figures.

Matt, how much responsibility do people there feel lies with the unions?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
being from the suburbs of Detroit and from the generation that was a kid when a metropolis went under, I can say that it's really a broad brush that we all paint it by - as far as the economical aspect. It does include corrupt unions into the mix but basically generalized as the fall of the auto industry without getting to specifics regarding the CAUSE of the industry's' fall. It fell. Detroit and Flint and a few others went to *****.
Like Matt stated, the Auto Industry was the main bread and butter and when it went south there was also countess minor businesses that made THEIR business from that industry causing quite the horrific domino effect. A spiral that major cities like Flint and Detroit whose major job/income derived from a thriving auto industry have spent decades trying to recover from.
Oh, the Auto Industry has recovered but their base operations are in the burbs (such as Auburn Hills and the like) leaving the "little guys/businesses" to rebuild those sinking ships aka cities. Also the Auto labor employees are unofficially hereditary. Meaning; you rarely get hired in if your parents and their parents didn't work there previously.They get hired before anyone else does.

Panic Room (2002)

As said earlier, you gotta know someone to get a job now. As said earlier, it spiraled. Store owners relied on people at the shop, then the store owners could fix up their house, then construction workers could buy this and that... Now they have 89'ers - they even make you sign a piece of paper if you were lucky to know someone, to win a lottery, that you realize the job is temporary, no benefits, etc... Thousands were offered buy-outs and were told if they didn't accept it NOW, they would get a lot less in the future, and that they would probably lose their job outright.

Right or wrong, you probably won't ever hear anyone in Flint ever say a bad thing about unions. We had sit-down strikes for more rights. I think NAFTA has to be blamed. Technology is always moving forward, but that was always the case.

Michael Moore was born in Davison - a very nice suburb in the 70s, but that wouldn't help his narrative. I used to like him a bit more, though I still think it's good what he does. I saw "Who To Invade Next" and think all of his documentaries are worth watching, even though he can be annoying. But, at least put a tiny % back into the community that you made the money from. We don't even have a theater in the city of Flint, or a supermarket. We used to go to a theater in Burton, but that closed almost 10 years ago. I'm guessing he'll make a documentary about water, which still hasn't been resolved. Yet, people still ask (usually online) "Why don't you just move" - as if it was so easy. If one can barely afford living here, they have no chance in a better place.

You can always rely on a great movie I guess....

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Strange Vanilla

For this to be hyped as Marvel's first stab at the mystical side of their universe, it's just more of the same.

You can say all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. The folding, mechanical turning and whirring, guy on an acid trip who has the room fold up in front of him effect gets old after the first scene. By the time they got it right with the final scene, it was too late.

Cumberbatch looks the part, but he just doesn't feel like the right guy. Simply put, the cape was better than him.

Just watched Doctor Strange, very good for a superhero movie. My favorite one so far this year.

Frenzy -

free upload pictures

My 17th Hitchcock and it was a very good one, not one of his very best but it should probably get mentioned a bit more. It looked amazing, was really interesting seeing a film this late in his career. It was also one of the few Hitchcock films i've seen set in Britain so that was a nice change of pace for me. Pretty funny as well, and campy. Good story it started a bit slow but i really thing it picked up during the scene with Bob and Dicks ex wife. Bob was so creepy in that scene, i think the actor who played him gave a great performance. After his first scene with Dick where he seemed like a really nice guy just a bit quirky that whole scene was quite a shock. I like how thinking back he was acting weird and a bit creepy in his scene with Dick but i didn't really realize because Dick himself was acting really weird; i hope that was intentional. One random thing i really loved about that seen was how long after the secratary entered the building that she screamed, in most other films you'd hear her screaming after 5 seconds but this went a full 30 at least, just a very minor detail that i liked. The scene with Bob on the back of the truck while nutty was great i thought, it really gave you the sense of being in a tight space like he was at that time, it was hilarious how much was going wrong for him as well when it turned out that she had rigor mortis i cracked up. The ending wasn't great, wasn't bad either i suppose. I actually thought it would be Bobs mum in the bed sleeping and that Dick would kill her by accident. Seems so pointless that his mum was even in the film, he introduced her and later he even mentioned her again "you've met my mum haven't you". Weird.

Don't want to go on much more because last month i read an essay about Hitchcock which largely focused on Frenzy particularly the way it was filmed so i don't want to just repeat what i read there. I do think that influenced my view a bit on this which i try to avoid but regardless i do think it was a very good film.

The Hitch Cameo was a tad dissappointing, he was just standing there in a small crowd at the start there's no way you could miss him.

Moon -
-

upload img

Very good film. Going in i was expecting it to be Sam up there alone throughout, i was expecting the film to be an examination of his loneliness and growing insanity. So i was surprised when it turned into a clone film, it was all handled really well. Some very powerful stuff in this film, Older Sam really got to me. Most of all Sam Rockwell is a fantastic actor and i thought he was truly amazing here. To be able to play two different versions of himself: Old Sam - the more laidback, slightly insane dying one and Young Sam - the one in peak physical condition who still has all the anger problems the older sam has gotten rid of in his time there, so convincingly was amazing. Some great visuals too, particularly on the moons surface. Overall a very good film that i will consider for my list.