The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I haven't been as active in discussion as I'd like the last couple HoFs. I've just been busier, while still trying to keep up with other threads and my movie watching, although those have suffered too.

Yeah, i'm not blaming anyone or claiming that i have been doing something different from everyone that has sparked discussion because i haven't. Review dump was harsh; but i do think there's been a bit less discussion in this HOF than the others i've been a part of which if it is anybodys fault it is at least equally my own. I don't know it may be the nominations; not that they are bad or anything but it seems like there's always at least one that has gotten most people involved in interesting discussions in the HOFs i've joined, Lilya and Ugetsu in the Tenth for example. Maybe it's because it's a small HOF with only 11 members and at least two haven't been able to be around much; Topsy because of her accident as well as internet problems and Neiba because he has been really busy.

I certainly don't think this has been a bad HOF, i've greatly enjoyed it and i'm grateful to everyone who has taken part; it's just a bit more discussion would have been nice i guess that is always the case though.

And nice to see Raul who was skeptical at first has enjoyed it.

I really don't understand why people took that comment as a slight against them when i'm the host and if you know me at all you'd know i'm very critical of myself so i almost entirely put it on my own shoulders; was no need to point that out.

i think its just down to bad timing really,its the same with survivor and other stuff, people just have been busy or in my case unfortunate.the discussion part of HOFs is my favourite thing about them,unfortunatly i just havent been able to take that much part. Aside from that what i think was great about the last HOF was that people would say what movie they were watching next and then alot of members followed and watched that same movie-which makes its easier to discuss it. but obviously that isnt always something that can be done

i think its just down to bad timing really,its the same with survivor and other stuff, people just have been busy or in my case unfortunate.the discussion part of HOFs is my favourite thing about them,unfortunatly i just havent been able to take that much part. Aside from that what i think was great about the last HOF was that people would say what movie they were watching next and then alot of members followed and watched that same movie-which makes its easier to discuss it. but obviously that isnt always something that can be done
Lets not go crazy it has been a million times better than that awful Survivor.

Funny thing is it was me who started the lets watch Lilya first movement last time,

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Bringing Up Baby (1938)

But why are you wearing *these* clothes?
Because I just went *GAY* all of a sudden!

This movie made me go through an embarassing situation. I was watching it on the train (which is pretty much the only free time for movies I have this month), and the quote above made me laugh so hard I was almost screaming.
It was not always like that, of course, but there's a lot of this film that still feels fresh and original so many years later, which is amazing!!!
The character I had more problems with was Susan (Hepburn). I mean she was so annoying I didn't find her funny nor sweet. There was no reason in doing half of the things she did and I couldn't relate at all, which made this a bit less enjoyable.
On the other hand, Cary Grant is absolutely superb!!! I was a bit unsure when I saw him on the first scene, but he grew on me and ended up being quite a treat to watch him play dummy!
There were some characters I didn't really care for like Major Applegate (though he a funny couple of lines), Gogarty and Aunt Elizabeth. However, I liked the policemen, especially Slocum.
Overall, this was a funny entertaining and one of the best screwball comedies I've watched recently!

+

Ida (P. Pawilowski, 2013)

As I said recently, this was a film that has been on my watchlist since it came out and I'm glad it was nominated here!
First of all, the B&W cinematography is almost breathtakingly beautiful. I love how 99% of the movie is just composed of still shots like a succession of photos. It creates a certain calm and simplicity absolutely delightful and that goes very well with the general mood of the film.
The story is quite interesting and extremely well told. It's a slow movie but it's very balanced and not too dragged which makes it quite an easy watch despite its heavy theme!
I love how Ida goes through that development, and how she learns about herself by watching the character I think is most fascinating on the film, her aunt. The last segment especially is great! How she tries to copy her aunt's way of life, but realizing that doesn't fulfill her, goes back to the convent, now completely decided and ready to take the vows as nun. The sentence her aunt said earlier: "what kind of sacrifices are those if you don't know what you're missing" made a lot more sense in the moment she actually comes out of his little innocent world.
Oh, and the way the camera starts moving on those last scenes, for the very first time, precisely to underline this difference is a great touch (I also think it was the first time there was music not coming from the background but I'm not sure).
Overall, a very nice movie with a powerful message though I wanted it to feel a bit heavier sometimes!

Now it's 8/11 for me. I'll watch Banshu this weekend (I hope) and then just have 2 rewatches left. I am certain of my feeling about Her, but I am probably going to rewatch it either way, it's Moonrise Kingdom I'm not sure about.

About the topic of the discussion, I admit I haven't been around as usual lately, and for that I'm sorry! I'm trying to watch all the movies and dealing with lots of work on the side (I'm preparing a 007 show with my singing students which has been tiring as hell). I'm happy with the quality of the movies I've seen so far. It's a really solid HoF even if it doesn't have a lot of discussion (maybe because it's a smaller one). But Camo is doing a great job!!!

Just read all the reviews of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and I must say I'm incredibly surprised with the feedback!!! I'm happy most of you enjoyed it so much!
This weekend I'll read all the reviews to all the movies I've already seen and try to discuss them if there's any space to it.

Ronin

Although it had been several years, I had seen this multiple times in the past. I was worried that it would now feel dated, but except for the musical score, I didn't think that was the case. Director John Frankenheimer has quite the resume, especially from his work in the 60's. To have a guy like that at the helm is a big advantage. Then you have a stronger than average cast for an action film. I thought De Niro and Skarsgard in particular were the standouts. It is the director and cast that makes this feel like a little more than your standard mindless action film. The plot feels stronger than the usual as well. I say this despite not actually knowing what was going on some of the time, but it at least gave me the feeling that there was something more there. I thought the first 50 minutes or so before the double-cross were particularly effective. I didn't actually remember the movie being so action packed, but there's a lot of gunplay besides the spectacular car chases. I also have to say that I quite like the setting of the film, and there is some pretty good dialogue. All in all I think this is a strong action/thriller that is clearly above average.

-

And I have now watched all the nominations.