Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Glad you watched 2001 CR, because I wasn't even thinking of it for the upcoming Sci-Fi list. I'm going to give it another shot as my first couple of viewings were torturous.
By tortuous I'm guessing you mean sloooooow. Yea, it's slow, I like slow movies and I still thought it was too slow for me at times.

In re-viewings I was intrigued by the way "Dave's" breathing inside his space helmet is used when his struggle to dismantle HAL begins. It's so intense and conveys every feeling the movie is trying to convey at that point - with breathing rather than background music.
I wonder if this was the first time this was done or were there previous instances.
Good call, just last night I watched a DVD extra feature on the making of 2001 and they did indeed mention what you just said. That at times in the movie the music stops and we here breathing being used as a soundtrack. It also happened with the astronaut is outside of the big ship in a rescue mission.

Glad you watched 2001 CR, because I wasn't even thinking of it for the upcoming Sci-Fi list. I'm going to give it another shot as my first couple of viewings were torturous.
I'm going to give it a second go for the list. Too slow for my taste first go round. Inevitable that it will top the list anyway. Good review CR.

Thanks Sean...also in the DVD extras Arthur C. Clarke who cowrote 2001 said the movie is like a silent film in that there's very little dialogue, but lots of visuals. Yes, it was slow and I was tired. I need to rewatch it when I'm well rested as it's a challenging film.

I'm going to give it a second go for the list. Too slow for my taste first go round. Inevitable that it will top the list anyway. Good review CR.
It's a movie I've evolved with. As a kid I fairly despised parts of it. Later, I would skip the psychedelic part. Last time I watched it, I watched the whole thing and it was like a new movie to me (although I still hate the scary chorus noise the monolith makes - it freaks me out!)

It's a movie I've evolved with. As a kid I fairly despised parts of it. Later, I would skip the psychedelic part. Last time I watched it, I watched the whole thing and it was like a new movie to me (although I still hate the scary chorus noise the monolith makes - it freaks me out!)
That moaning monolith sound is creepy! and it was loud, I had to turn down the TV sound during that part. Did you ever think that the end scene in the room with an older Dave was an inspiration for Star Trek TNG episode The Royale?

That moaning monolith sound is creepy! and it was loud, I had to turn down the TV sound during that part. Did you ever think that the end scene in the room with an older Dave was an inspiration for Star Trek TNG episode The Royale?
You'd have to refresh my memory on that episode, Rules. I think I've seen them all, but don't know them by title.

Being Canadian
(2015)

Director: Robert Cohen
Writer: Robert Cohen
Cast: Robert Cohen, Cobie Smulders, Seth Rogen, Nathan Fillion
Genre: Documentary, Comedy

"What does it actually mean to be Canadian?"

This is just something I seen at Netflix and thought it might be worth a watch. It's only 90 minutes long and is a light-comedy documentary which follows a Canadian, Robert Cohen, across country as he tries to discover what it means to be Canadian. The premise sounded more interesting than the actual film which is largely composed of interviews with a famous Canadians mostly celebrities who then are asked questions and give amusing answers. I had hoped to see more of the unseen Canada, it's small town, quaint costumes and lesser known points of interest.

But the star of the film, Robert Cohen is a Canadian who had been a successful Hollywood comic writer for American TV sitcom shows. So that's mostly what he delivered, laughs from other celebrities. I didn't hate it, and I did laugh a few times. But it really wasn't that well done, but not bad for a Canadian documentary (that's a joke from the film).

You do get to see a whole bushel of stars who hail from Canada. Too many to list. Of course they talk about beer and maple syrup but nothing about back bacon, which I found odd. But oh well, it was a decent 90 minutes.

-
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	27545  

You'd have to refresh my memory on that episode, Rules. I think I've seen them all, but don't know them by title.
I'm not real good at describing episodes, so here's a link to Memory Alpha's site

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T..._%28episode%29

And indeed they do mention 2001 on that page. I noticed it when I was watching the movie and the older Dave ends up in a fancy room. That made me think of the ST episode, but just the part where Riker, Worf and Date beam down to a mysterious planet and find an Earth hotel with a dead, missing astronaut in bed.

I'm not real good at describing episodes, so here's a link to Memory Alpha's site

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T..._%28episode%29

And indeed they do mention 2001 on that page. I noticed it when I was watching the movie and the older Dave ends up in a fancy room. That made me think of the ST episode, but just the part where Riker, Worf and Date beam down to a mysterious planet and find an Earth hotel with a dead, missing astronaut in bed.
Interesting. Although sounding vaguely familiar, I don't have much memory of that episode (now I want to see it!). But yeah it sounds like it was inspired by 2001.
It was a common theme in Trek that some alien entity or civilization would build something or create a society around some artifact of Earth's past. Like in TOS "A Piece of the Action" where the aliens based their whole society around a book about the gangsters of 1920's Chicago.

And you're familiar with my theory that ST-The Motion Picture was inspired by a combination of films: Solaris, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and two particular episodes from the Original Series.

...And you're familiar with my theory that ST-The Motion Picture was inspired by a combination of films: Solaris, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and two particular episodes from the Original Series.
Yup! I remember we talked about Solaris's possible influences on ST-The Motion Picture. But I don't remember talking about 2001 influence on STTMP, but I wouldn't be surprised at all that it did influence it. Come to think of it, the worm hole scene in STTMP is like the split screen star tunnel in 2001.
and two particular episodes from the Original Series
I don't know if you ever told me about that, which two episodes?

Yup! I remember we talked about Solaris's possible influences on ST-The Motion Picture. But I don't remember talking about 2001 influence on STTMP, but I wouldn't be surprised at all that it did influence it. Come to think of it, the worm hole scene in STTMP is like the split screen star tunnel in 2001.
I don't know if you ever told me about that, which two episodes?
Don't feel like looking them up right now... but the one with Nomad (like V-ger: seeking it's human creator) and the one with Decker's father (where there's a giant V-ger like machine, destroying everything in its path on it's way to Earth).

I've gone over what I felt were similarities to Solaris before, but the influences of 2001 on ST-TMP are numerous - the calling out of an alien entity from beyond, the journey to intercept it, some vague similarities between HAL and the Ilia probe / V-ger (both Dave and Kirk try to outwit a machine), the long psychedelic trip in 2001 & the long psychedelic trip through V-ger, and of course the endings where a new life form is created in TMP (McCoy even compares it to a baby delivery and the cosmic baby in 2001). There are a few stylistic & special effects similarities between the films too.

I'm taking a class that covers a lot of basic computer concepts and the teacher has brought up 2001 at least 3 times to point out the flaw that HAL was way too big. "A computer that size would generate so much heat that blah blah blah. As computers get faster they HAVE to get smaller because blah blah blah."
"I'd kinda like to hear his critiques on the orgy scenes in Kubrics final film, Eyes Wide Shut.
"It's all wrong. When we have huge, baccanalian sex-parties, we always wear the SILVER masks with the GREEN robes. Have you ever tried to clean oil-based lube out of a black robe? Kubric was an uninformed jerk!"

I'm taking a class that covers a lot of basic computer concepts and the teacher has brought up 2001 at least 3 times to point out the flaw that HAL was way too big. "A computer that size would generate so much heat that blah blah blah. As computers get faster they HAVE to get smaller because blah blah blah."
That's interesting. I wonder why your computer teacher thinks the the size of the main frame of large computer like HAL would generate to much heat? Seems to me it would provide better air movement for cooling. Maybe HAL's processors were located on the outside of the ship for maxxium cooling by the ultra cold of space. I guess Kubrick knew for sure.

Kansas City Confidential (1952)
Director: Phil Karlson
Cast: John Payne, Coleen Gray, Preston Foster
Genre: Film Noir

About
: An ex-con (John Payne) who has since went straight, is framed for a million dollar heist of an armored car. To make matters worse the actual robbers kill a man and blame it him . After being arrested and beaten by the cops John Payne gets a lead on the real criminals and chases after them in Mexico.

Review: I thought this was a cool story that instantly drew me in and kept me involved. I really liked all five of the main actors and they did an excellent job. All the three bad guys were really nasty and each had his own quirk. I thought John Payne made a good regular Joe, who's forced to take on some tough thugs to clear his name. I liked Preston Foster, he seemed genuine as both the big man and as a father. And of course I liked Colleen Grey.

I liked how the film took us to four different 'worlds'. Each was interesting to see: I liked the crime set up and the actual job part. I liked even more the time in the police station when the cops rough up poor John Payne. But I really liked the time in Mexico, both when he's on the tail of Jack Elam (who was great in this) and finally when they all meet up in a sleepy Mexican fishing village. I like the ending too and how the story wrapped up.

Kansas City Confidential is gritty and gripping with a lot of interesting scenes and characters.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't watched The Space Children or Space Master X-7, but I think most of these old sci-fi B-movies are basically the way you described them. They're fun movies with some plot holes, but they're also entertaining. I'd be surprised if they make the Sci-Fi Countdown, but they're usually worth watching for just for the fun of it.

Harry and Tonto
(1974)

Director: Paul Mazursky
Writers: Paul Mazursky, Josh Greenfeld
Cast: Art Carney, Tonto the cat, Ellen Burstyn, René Enríquez
Genre: Drama, Adventure, Comedy

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. Often movie watchers get 'programmed' to respond to highly dramatic events in the movies they watch. There's nothing extra dramatic happening in Harry and Tonto. What it offers is something more substantial, an introspective look at an old man with no job and no place to go. Harry is intelligent, he's learned...he's a retired teacher who reads voraciously and has a lot to say. Sure he's stubborn but he's earned the right to be so. Harry knows who he is, but the world doesn't care.

When his old apartment building is torn down, he begins to shuffle from point to point, much like a ship a drift. Until he reaches a point where he takes charge of his journey. This movie is about that personal journey, it's a life journey that starts for Harry at age 70.

The director/writer Paul Marzusky told Art Careny (Harry) that if he took the role, he'd win an oscar...and he did. Art Careny is best known from that famous 1950's TV sitcom The Honeymooners. Here Art plays a vastly different character from the goofy Ed Norton.

Harry knows who he is, but life has put him a drift. It looks like he will plop himself down at his son's house and become part of the furniture. But Harry want's more than that. So he goes on a road trip with no particular destination but with the hopes of experiencing more of life.

You know, they just don't make films like this anymore. This was made in the earlier 1970's when film making often focused on humanity as opposed to latter films that just churned out entertainment for entertainment's sake. Harry and Tonto still has something important to say, if only we will open our ears and eyes.

I liked Harry and Tonto, but not quite as much as you did. I thought it was kind of depressing at times, but overall it's a pretty good movie. I've seen Art Carney as Ed Norton for so many years, so it was nice to see him in a different role for a change.

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Writers: Stanley Kubrick(screenplay), Arthur C. Clarke(novel &screenplay)
Cast
: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester
Genre: Sci-Fi Mystery

This film needs no introduction! As everyone has heard of it.
In 1963 master film maker Stanley Kubrick released his genius on a sci-fi short story by another genius, Arthur C. Clarke. The result took the next 4 years to complete, but when this film hit the theaters in 1968...the movie industry would never be the same.

Initial audience reaction was less than stellar. At the film's premier over 200 people got up and left the theater during the movie... including Rock Hudson who's reported to have said, "Will someone tell me what the hell this is about?"...Rock might not have 'got it', and either did the critics who panned 2001...But the film became an instant cult hit with the younger generation, some who reportedly did drugs while viewing the movie for the ultimate space trip.

My thoughts: I hadn't seen this film in decades and I remembered nothing of it, so in a way it was like watching it for the first time. I did have the advantage that I had read the novel so I did know what was going on, in what could be otherwise a very confusing movie.

I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the film! The sets look so real, and this was done in the mid 1960's even before men had landed on the moon. The attention to detail is amazing as in the special effects. Maybe most impressive was: for the first time in sci fi movies a director had taken great effort to get the sciences right. And with all of Kubrick's films, the cinematography is skillfully done. A very artistic, beautiful movie, a visual triumph. The soundtrack too which uses classical music, is the stuff of legends. The Blue Danube is used for the second act which takes place in Earth orbit and at the moon. This classic waltz by Johann Strauss sets the mood for the second act, with its lightness and beauty, thus making the vision of man's journey into space seem ethereal. This balances well with the darker soundtrack that comes towards the films climax....Then there's the famous 2001 theme song, which everyone knows.

The film does slow down in the third act, when the astronauts are on the way to Jupiter, the movie slows to a crawl. Each scene is done slowly. I understand that Kubrick is giving us the feel for space, where task are tedious and take time...slow.

This is truly one of the all time great achievement in movie making.

I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times, and sometimes I think Rock Hudson may have been right. I don't quite "get" the whole story, but the visuals and the music are enough to draw me in, hold my attention, and make me want to watch it again. The beginning of the movie is kind of boring, but it picks up after the part with the apes. I doubt I'll ever fully understand the movie, but I like watching it to pick up new things about it each time I see it.

So here is the back and forth between my professor and I after I sent him your response and a quick explanation:

Gooch: "Somebody on a movie forum was talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I posted what you'd said about HAL being way too big. I mentioned the problem with the heat he would generate. This was the reply:"

Citizen Rules: "That's interesting. I wonder why your computer teacher thinks the the size of the main frame of large computer like HAL would generate too much heat? Seems to me it would provide better air movement for cooling. Maybe HAL's processors were located on the outside of the ship for maximum cooling by the ultra cold of space. I guess Kubrick knew for sure."

Gooch: "I was curious about your thoughts on this. I know that they didn't have enough air moving to cool down HAL inside the ship, and aside from exposing their computer to the random elements of space, absolute zero temperatures would be too much for a CPU to function in.
Again, not urgent."

Goochs Professor: "Interesting, but I didn’t say a HAL sized computer would generate too much heat.
What I said was the size of the computer (distance the bits would have to travel through the system and the time it would take) would slow processing speed and thus severely limit processing speed. As a result, it would be impossible to develop a LARGE and intelligent computer.
I’ve attached a short clip out of a book I have that partially explains what I was actually saying. What I did not explain in class is the compromise between speed and inefficiency (heat generated). Small is faster but heat is a big problem. Large is slower, but heat is less of an issue.
I’ve attached a short clip out of a book I have that partially explains what I was actually saying."
(had to re-write this since it was just a link to a picture of some text. The header in the top right corner said "Quantum Physics".)
"The small size is important for speed, since the velocity of signals that travel down wires is less than the speed of light. In one typical computer cycle (1 nanosecond, or a billionth of a second), light can travel only 30 centimeters, or 1 foot. So to be able to exchange information with other parts of the computer, the whole thing must be small."

I haven't watched The Space Children or Space Master X-7, but I think most of these old sci-fi B-movies are basically the way you described them. They're fun movies with some plot holes, but they're also entertaining. I'd be surprised if they make the Sci-Fi Countdown, but they're usually worth watching for just for the fun of it.
I don't know why but often I tend to enjoy them more than serious sci fi movies. I have 3 more B sci fi's to watch soon. I forget their names, one is Attack of the Crab Monsters.

I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey a few times, and sometimes I think Rock Hudson may have been right. I don't quite "get" the whole story, but the visuals and the music are enough to draw me in, hold my attention, and make me want to watch it again. The beginning of the movie is kind of boring, but it picks up after the part with the apes. I doubt I'll ever fully understand the movie, but I like watching it to pick up new things about it each time I see it.
I can give you a brief 'what the film is about' if you want me to.