Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This movie wasn't as bad as I would have expected. This is a good sit back and relax film!

I give this film a 6.5/10!

I have to return some videotapes...
Hostel (2006) -
+

I really love this film, on second watch it reminds me why I started to enjoy Roth so much as a director. Although the characters are much stronger for me in Cabin Fever, the moments in this film make it slightly better.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I can feel your stinging judgment, but I don't care! I've always gotten a kick out of Full Moon ever since I was a young lad, Killjoy 3, I think, represents it well, bringing elements of the more comedic Elm Street films, whereas Ginger is an example of the average Full Moon film, neither excelling at anything nor downright flopping either.

I have to return some videotapes...
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) -
++

I probably like this a tad bit more than the first honestly, way stronger development of characters.

Unregistered User

Odd Man Out (1947)

Carol Reed is such a talented director and some of the scenes here are wonderful. James Mason plays a wounded IRA rebel being chased by Police. Sometimes it did feel a tad overacted by Mason but overall he puts in a great performance as usual.

Interesting fact, the bar scenes were filmed in the Crown Bar, which is right next door to my place of work and serves an excellent pint!

hey guys i have found a great movie on star wars Watch the official second trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, in which Jyn Erso leads a group of unlikely heroes to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire’s ultimate weapon of destruction. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story arrives in theaters December 16, 2016.

Das Experiment

Films that explore the dark side of human nature are always disturbing. Their villains are not some generic monsters of fantasy, but the you and me we see in the mirror everyday. With a story that's inspired by true events (the important elements of it remaining unchanged), it makes for a far more chilling story.

The Experiment is based on Mario Giordano's novel, Black Box, which was further based on Philip Zimbardo's Stanford prison experiment of 1971. The film examines a very traditional question often asked when dealing with human nature - what happens when you give power to people without? While contained within a microcosm of society, the people with power are gradually reduced to their Alpha Male primal selves.

If the characters from Lord of the Flies are rewritten into adults, this would be that movie. I was glued to the edge of my seat as the story escalates into a bigger train-wreck with each day that passed in the simulated prison. What's eerie and what separates this movie from something fantastical like Lord of the Flies is that similar institutions like this simulated prison do exist in real life, albeit under more controlled condition. The situation suggested by the movie, the abuse of power, is not something unimaginable in real life, and it happens very often even today. To see it in such extremity and such realism at the same time would, naturally, leave the audiences incredibly uncomfortable.

On a personal note, such abuse of power is one reason why I don't trust the military. Having enlisted myself in conscription before (by law), I have suffered the abuse and I can tell you it can be terrifying to be subjected under power.

Being an adaptation of a fictionalized version of true events, there are of course some contrivances that dampen the film's realism. For example, the love interest, whose role in the story symbolizes destiny and fate, or as the protagonist puts it, how "everything happens for a reason". It's kinda cheesy, particularly with the addition of the romantic ending, but it doesn't take much away from the suspense of the movie.

Another minor imperfection is the edgy factor. Without even researching the original Stanford experiment, I could tell which of the events in the movie are made up. There is rape in this movie, and not the male-on-male kind. For a movie that plays something as edgy as Linkin Park at the beginning and the end, this is actually kinda tasteless, as it feels like the filmmakers were going for a cheap shock factor rather than adding anything meaningful.

In the end, however, the movie serves as a fantastic thriller for those looking to be disturbed.

The Myth of the American Sleepover (2010)

Robert David Mitchell's debut doesn't aggrandize the cinematic youth so much as winkingly use it as a structure to house his keener, more interesting observations. With It Follows growing on me after a second viewing and this new understanding and appreciation of Mitchell's work, here's hoping he's not the next spry indie darling recruited for a heartless blockbuster. He should be sitting pretty in the era of Stranger Things and John Green adaptations, even if those comparisons don't quite do him justice.

My one caveat lies in his philosophy on promiscuity. The careful consideration he lends most core characters doesn't really extend to people who can enjoy sex without love. This is most heavily implied with the mean spirited closeup of the ink on the girl on the float's arm, the formerly "wise elder" type girl with the toe ring getting plowed senseless in the hatchback for her final spot, and the horror device that drives It Follows. This through line leaves kind of a sour taste in my mouth, but I'll reserve my judgment. Maybe it's for the kids.

http://boxd.it/bEA3T

I've been doing more watching than reviewing lately. How lazy of me.
This looks really interesting and I absolutely LOVE that title.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves 8.5/10 I love Alan Rickman's character in this!

Precious Cargo 8/10 Even though it is a B movie, Mark-Paul Gosselaar was excellent in this for an action flick!

Gladiator 9.5/10 This was my first time watching this move and it was an amazing film. Definitely recommend this film to anyone.

Jurassic World 8/10 I really like this film. When you add in Chris Pratts witty sense of humor it was a home run.

Cuban Fury 8/10 Nick Frost is absolutely amazing. This shows that he is comfortable with his body and this movie was an absolute riot! Rashida Jones is a fox so that is definitely a plus!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Through a Glass Darkly - 5/10
The Virgin Spring - 5/10
Two great masterpieces.
HATER!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What didn't you like about The Virgin Spring, Matt?

I really like it but i do think it is pretty tame and straightforward despite its subject matter compared to the others i've seen from him. I've only seen 5 though so ignore me.

The Man in the Moon (1991)

I really like these "down to earth" movies.

Inception 7.5/10 In the beginning I was very bored with the setup of this film but in the end it was a truly great movie.

Dragonheart 8/10 I will always love this action adventure flick! Sean Connery is amazing and so isn't Dennis Quaid!

Welcome to the human race...
Tales From Earthsea -

Given its reputation, I was expecting something on par with Cars. Thankfully, this was not the case.

The Cell (2000)

I never thought I would like this movie. Part of the reason was J Lo being the star. She was fine though, and didn't hurt the movie in any way. I also usually hate fantasy, but it was rather dark and kept me glued to the screen. Vincent D'Onofrio is great at playing odd characters so he was a big plus as the villain. Disappointing was Vince Vaughn, who I normally love in everything. This movie would have been better with someone else in his role. A little stupid at times, but I enjoyed the multiple storylines, and there was always something interesting happening on screen.