Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Girl on the Train

Honestly I thought this would be better, I had a friend that had read the book and gave me some details and so it intrigued me. I think Emily Blunt was miscast, not that she is a bad actor but I had this depiction of the character and she did not fill it. Most of the actors were solid but thought were either under used or miscast. Luke Evans as the husband or "Megan" was under used and confusing. Lisa Kudrow I mean why even have her in the movie her screen time was like 5 mins, she did serve somewhat of a purpose though. Allison Janney could have been any actor because her purpose seemed pointless as the detective that seemed to not really care for the case. I think the best was Justin Theroux he did what the plot expected of him and portrayed his character well. As for the overall story it was solid enough and enjoyable I think it was a bit confusing as they cut between characters all the time. I guess it is worth a watch but probably not at the cinema.

2/5 Stars

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

Raiders! The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made
(2015, d. Tim Skousen, Jeremy Coon)

+

An occasionally slight but extremely endearing documentary about the most ambitious fan film ever made. In 1982, a group of young boys set out to make a shot-for-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark; it would consume their lives for the next 7 years before they finally completed it. Well, almost completed it. There was one scene they were never able to film; the fight between Indy and a giant goon underneath a Nazi airplane. Well now, some 25 years after they first finished the film, the boys, now all grown up, have reunited to finally capture that scene and put an end to their titanic undertaking. In those intervening years their personal little film had gained a cult following through festival showings, word of mouth and celebrity fans; amongst them Eli Roth, who features as one of the talking heads in this documentary.

The film jumps back and forth between two narratives. There is the story about the original making of their film, complete with numerous clips from it, and then there is the story about the boys reuniting to film the scene they were never able to, or at least attempt to. Both threads prove to be interesting and entertaining in their own way, though some of the drama in the contemporary section does feel a touch manufactured and forced. My favourite moments are definitely the stories from their childhood that detail just how they recreated so many iconic scenes, complete with the accompanying clips. Those clips prove to be quite a mixture. Some of them are charming in terms of just how bad they are. Some of them are actually very impressive given the circumstances and the scope of the scenes they are attempting to replicate. And then some of them are just insane! These kids were dragged along by and underneath trucks, and set each other on fire in their efforts to duplicate the iconic scenes as close as possible. The fact that no-one was seriously hurt and that the house didn't burn down is something of a miracle.

One of the things that Raiders! does really well is show just how important movies can be to us in our lives, particularly during our teenage years. As the film progresses we learn more about the respective home lives of the kids involved at the time of making the film. We learn about divorcing parents, about financial struggles, and about broken and abusive homes. We see how Steven Spielberg's original film, and their subsequent attempts to recreate it, offered them an escape and a haven of sorts. And the level of determination and persistence they threw at the project is quite amazing.

The film also proves to be an effective chronicle of friendship. As the years went by during the initial production the relationship between the boys would change. Girls would enter their lives and come between them, and priorities would change. While they did stick together to finish the film it was clear they were drifting apart. And that drift became more substantial without the project to unify them. As they grow up and enter adulthood they go in very different directions. While one becomes a responsible family man with a corporate job, another falls under the allure of drug addiction. It just highlights a sad fact in life that your closest friends in childhood often do not remain that way. In fact at this stage in the film I was reminded of the finale to Stand by Me where we learn what became of the four young boys at the heart of its story.

It seems that a lot of the time, for a documentary to really make an impact and gain attention it has to tell a powerful story, often about a serious or unsettling subject. This certainly is not one of those. No one is going to watch this and find it to be a life affirming or altering experience. However it is a very fun little diversion, that I think would particularly appeal to fans of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is a love letter to Raiders, to film in general and to the dedicated geekdom that such films can inspire.

I have to return some videotapes...
Re-Animator (1985) -
++

Pretty goofy film, but I really enjoyed Jeffery Combs, but kind of was un-impressed with the rest. Still pretty funny at times.

Welcome to the human race...
How come you're not posting these in your Movie Musings thread?
Views, obviously.

Last movie I watched...

Knowing -

Part of me wants to like it but nah. At least Proyas has a distinctive approach to VFX that makes it watchable.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I watched this the other day and just posted some thoughts here. I thought it was a good doc. Did you think she was not guilty?
Great review btw. It seemed to me there was no love loss between Amanda and the victim, and Amanda may have been acting ditzy/inappropriately. However the impression I get is that most likely she didn't do it. And they were so quick to lock up and sentence Rudy Guede too.

Great review btw. It seemed to me there was no love loss between Amanda and the victim, and Amanda may have been acting ditzy/inappropriately. However the impression I get is that most likely she didn't do it. And they were so quick to lock up and sentence Rudy Guede too.
Yeah I think she acted inappropriately but was under a lot of strange from people who were asking the wrong questions and treating her unfairly, apparently they were asking her questions in Italian and misinterpreting a lot of what she was saying, and they just kept hounding. Even Raffaele changed his story too after continuously being hounded. It's understandable when your in a strange land and have no idea how to save yourself.

The Rudy Guede sentence was ridiculous. His lawyer deserves a big congratulations. He got 30 years, with 6 years taken away just because he said Knox was there (who he didn't originally, amazing how this can just change), then a third taken off because of the fast format thing, so only 16 years, and he's already out now on day release or whatever it is. To me, his lawyer clearly knew that he was guilty but did absolutely the right thing in drawing no attention to him in any way.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Django Unchained (2012) Re-watch at 4 years

Ok, it's been 4 years since I saw this proper in the movies like you should with any Tarantino opener. Pretty much the same impression I got as the first watch.

WHAT I REALLY LIKED

King Shulz-- By far the best element of this picture. Awesome actor playing an awesome character. Great dialogue. Mesmerizing. Could've seen a whole trilogy just on this character.

Samuel Jackson as Stephen -- despicable character, expertly played by the man

Walton Goggins -- not enough of him, but lately he has been like bacon, he makes everything better

Tarantino taking on the subject of slavery as a vengeance/spaghetti western genre. Brilliant and downright ballsy.

WHAT WAS JUST OK

DiCaprio was good, but there was a disconnect I can't put my finger on.

The suspense rubber band that Tarantino usually stretches to breaking point with authority could have been stronger.

The whole mining company thing -- seemed forced.

The "Django-and-King-becoming-bounty-hunters" section seemed kinda watery to me. Could've gone epic with that.

WHAT PUT A BUG UP MY A$$

The script was disjointed-- trying to do too much. Understandable, but I think someone's initial suggestion that the movie be split up into parts was correct.

Many moments of what I took as self-indulgence, which I feel did not add to the story as an artistic whole.

He killed off King Shultz

Overall, entertaining, yes. Rewatchable? Not nearly as much as some of his others.

3.9 gangsters-sitting-around-a-table-discussing-tipping out of 5

Detention (2011)

From the director of that edgy Power Rangers fan film and that Fast and Furious parody that made as much sense as the film it's mocking (Torque), Joseph Kahn brought us a slasher comedy filled with lots of meta references to '90s pop culture (along with a few references to the 2000s). This is a rather niched film that the '90s kids (born between '85 and '89) would get a bigger kick out of. I personally didn't catch some of the references because I'm not American, but I like the throwback to the '90s slasher movies, especially the blatant homage to the OG slasher satire, Scream. So meta indeed, a satire parodying a satire.

Swiss Army Man was good. It is predictable as the plot can only really mean one thing, but I suppose the reveal is nicely done, and the journey to get there is extremely nicely done with some lovely camera work and colours. Ending not exactly mind blowing but I'd recommend this film to anyone. 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
How come you're not posting these in your Movie Musings thread?
Well as you know from our personal conversations (btw everyone, we are constantly talking about all of you behind your backs. Camo, you should hear what she says about you!) I have reviews kicking about that are from 2 or even 3 years ago that I still have to post. And in the intervening time I'd say that my ratings have changed and that they are now lower than they would previously have been. So I could post that Raiders! review with a 3+ score followed by an old review with a 3.5 score but I would probably prefer Raiders! So I want to get all of those old reviews posted before I switched, and then have a sort of Year Zero rebirth. Don't know if that is clear or not but I hope so. Although I did forget that I had started a new movie diary thread a while back

Jurassic World (2015)

LONELY HEART KILLERS
starring: John Travolta,James Gadolfini,Scoot Caan,Laura ,Jared Leto and Salma Hayek

This movie is called either Lonely Hearts or Lonely Heart Killers,depending on what country you live in-the movie itself is sadly the same everywhere though.
I`ve tried to watch this movie several times,i bought it some years ago cos but never managed to finish it,but i did last night-hoping it would prove me wrong.
Despite this being the story of serial killers Raymond Fernandez and Martha Beck,who killed up to 20 people after meeting them trough dating ads,this movie is surprisingly dull.
Its got all the wrong moves the black dahlia had,which is another one i never finished.
The movie comes across as a bit of a direct to tv movie,it looks nice but theres nothing really to it,nothing that pulls you in. Despite this being a "great" story on its own,they choose to give most of the screentime to the cop working to catch them,played by John Travolta-who has his own personal demons,something they again just tap into without really bothering to follow through on.

The real story here is Martha and Ray,played by Jared and Salma.
now theres some flaws here aswell,the moviemaker never really makes it interesting and skips about 99% of what went on with them.they have of course taken some liberties aswell,Martha was in real life so big they couldnt even fit her into the electric chair and in the movie she looks like this:

because what would the use of woman be if she isnt skinny and hot?

I didnt feel any connection to any of the characters,not the ones you were supposed to like and not the ones you were supposed to hate,there was no tension,no build up,no atmosphere,no nothing.
theres one good scene between jared and salma near the end and thats basically it.

waste of a good story,waste of a good cast,waste of time really.

KNOCK KNOCK
genre: Horror
possible spoilers

Flipped through Netflix and landed on this-Keanu Reeves? Must have something to it I thought.
wrong

It starts of with a weird looking Keanu doing a creepy monster monologue to his kids and wife. Wife and kids then go for a holiday and leaves dad home alone.At night two young looking girls knock on his door saying the taxi brought them to the wrong place and they forgot their phone and money,so he lets them in.
one thing leads to another and hey,all of a sudden theres a threesome going on despite dads pleads (?)
both of them giving a bl*wjob to the same dude at the same time whilst managing to speak to him simutaniously must be difficult so kudos on that. morning after he wakes up and gone are the hot chicks from last night,now theres just two annoying kids with no make up,no manners,trying too hard to potray the difference from last night by smearing food all over,drinking from the cartons etc eetc with valguar behaviour

oversexualized women begging for sex then turn out to be phycotic slobs?sounds familiar? yup its basically hostel.looked it up-yup made by Eli Roth.and yup its shite.

used up storyline,copying himself,bad acting.

I have to return some videotapes...
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) -

Incredible production on this film, really impressed with the special effects and the characters. Storytelling is good, but relies on some McGuffin's to move the story along. Not very good acting other than the kids, but whatever... it's fun.