The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Starship Troopers (1997) - I watched this movie for the Sci-Fi HoF. It was a good movie, but not a favorite for me.
Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995) - I considered this movie for my list, but it was one of my last few cuts.
Goldfinger (1964) - I like most of the Sean Connery James Bond movies, but some of them tend to blend together in my mind, so I couldn't really pick a specific one for my list.
Independence Day (1996) - Great movie. It came very close to making my list.
V for Vendetta (2005) - I remember liking this movie when I saw it, but I don't remember much about it anymore. I also don't remember it being an action movie.

Honorable Mentions:
Alien (1979) - Good movie, but a bit too close to horror for my taste.
End of Watch (2012) - Never heard of it.
GoldenEye (1995) - One of my favorite James Bond movies. It was #14 on my list.

My List:
6. Jurassic Park (1993)
12. Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
14. GoldenEye (1995)

59 Points / 4 Lists

All movies I've seen, and one from my list. I put Kingsman a bit higher than it maybe deserves, but I wanted to give it a bit of a boost because I do think the action in the film is very stylish and fun to watch.

Seen: 32/35
My List: 3, 1 honourable

04. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
21. Crank (2006) (H)
23. Taken (2008)

Welcome to the human race...
Finally, something I voted for - and it's an honourable mention. Figures.

Anyway, as for the main contenders...Desperado is a leftover from the days when I liked Rodriguez but I can't summon much enthusiasm for his work these days, Dirty Harry is as solid as '70s cop movies get and always watchable, Kingsman...well, people know I've got problems with it and I definitely question its worth even as an action movie, TDKR is just...there, and Incredibles is a solid piece of work (though it's a little hard to unsee the Objectivist subtext these days).

I'd have forfeited all my martial arts votes if it meant Police Story got in here.

Also WAT?
Originally Posted by Iroquois
Incredibles is a solid piece of work (though it's a little hard to unsee the Objectivist subtext these days).

Anyway, as for the main contenders...Desperado is a leftover from the days when I liked Rodriguez but I can't summon much enthusiasm for his work these days, Dirty Harry is as solid as '70s cop movies get and always watchable, Kingsman...well, people know I've got problems with it and I definitely question its worth even as an action movie, TDKR is just...there, and Incredibles is a solid piece of work (though it's a little hard to unsee the Objectivist subtext these days).
I just found this and it was interesting. Maybe can warrant a large discussion.

https://thedissolve.com/features/mov...les-and-other/

Welcome to the human race...
I'll concede Kingsman's got a pretty fun shootout at the end, but I can think of a dozen movies that deserve it's place in the countdown.
Just a dozen?

I'd have forfeited all my martial arts votes if it meant Police Story got in here.
I don't know why I don't just strategically vote to give more points to the more unlikely nominees instead of the locks. I guess I still believe in voting "properly".

Also WAT?
Yeah, the way I've seen it expressed is how the powerful supers are effectively constrained by the myopic citizens refusing to let them function freely even in heroic manners (as personified by various bureaucracies - Bob's office, the government agent who relocates him, etc.). That and the villain is an ordinary person who wants to be super and his villainous plan revolves around not just eliminating the actual supers but by creating the technology necessary to make everyone super. It's not exactly as bad as Ghostbusters, but it's still there.

I don't know why I don't just strategically vote to give more points to the more unlikely nominees instead of the locks. I guess I still believe in voting "properly".
I KNOW! I'm kickin' myself now, especially after seeing how many other people were gaming their ballots.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Yeah, the way I've seen it expressed is how the powerful supers are effectively constrained by the myopic citizens refusing to let them function freely even in heroic manners (as personified by various bureaucracies - Bob's office, the government agent who relocates him, etc.). That and the villain is an ordinary person who wants to be super and his villainous plan revolves around not just eliminating the actual supers but by creating the technology necessary to make everyone super. It's not exactly as bad as Ghostbusters, but it's still there.
Even looking at Mushroom's link I find it a bit hard to cash, especially given all of what "Objectivism" connotes to me.

Except that Brad Bird isn’t an Objectivist. He’s an avowed centrist, stating in multiple interviews that any Rand-sympathizing ideology in the film was completely incidental.
From the article I posted