Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Music and Lyrics (2006)

I have to return some videotapes...
Repulsion (1965) -

Really slow, probably could never watch it again, but it's still got a strong atmosphere and the ending really got me. This film really displays the potential in Polanski, this feels very much like a testing ground for what he would later do with Rosemary's Baby.

Blair Witch Project (1999) -

A true chronicle of horror and insanity. Nothing short of brilliant. Liked this much more on second viewing.

Blair Witch Project (1999) -

A true chronicle of horror and insanity. Nothing short of brilliant. Liked this much more on second viewing.
You're my new favorite MoFo Glad to see some respect for that movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
double shot of Gregory Peck

12 O'Clock High (1949)
With so many favorites from the forties I've been wanting see this one for quite some time and finally had a chance off Netflix. Shame on me for taking so damn long to see this one.

The Gunfighter (1950)
++ just saw this on Capt Spaulding's list and having never heard of it I got lucky and found it on youtube. A solid western that paints a more prolific painting of the main character than so many others of the time. A truly excellent western.

The Devil's Rejects (2005) -

Probably going to get hate, but this was really really bad. Shockingly bad. Okay dialogue, but just a worthless story.

Madness is the emergency exit…
The Tag-Along (2015)

Wei's grandma suddenly disappears for no reason, but strangely the routines still move on as if she never vanished– the laundry is still done, their house is well-arranged as usual, and even breakfast remains prepared for Wei every morning. Distraught with worry, Wei is totally clueless until he finds an uncanny video in his grandma’s camera, showing that there was a little girl in red tagging along her. Oddly enough, after Wei's grandma finally returns, it turns out that Wei is missing instead. Struggling to unravel the enigma, Wei's girlfriend Yi-Chun gradually discovers that the mysteries behind Wei and his grandma's sudden disappearance may be connected to the urban legend of "The Little Girl in Red", but what's even worse is yet to come...

Though the twist at the very end was cliched & unnecessary but based on their local legend, it's a decently done horror flick from Taiwan. This is the kind of a flick that The Forest (2016) was supposed to be but failed to deliver.

Apocalypse Now (1979)
The war was being run by a bunch of four star clowns who were gonna end up giving the whole circus away.

Apocalypse Now is probably the most original story I've seen told in a Vietnam war setting. The themes blend in so perfectly without beating you over the head with some pretentious lesson to the viewers, and the film holds no restraints in exploring dark themes like the descent into madness in the face of war, and the need for escape. Whether that escape be through drugs, like for Lance and Chef, or Alcohol for Willard. The emptiness of grounded American principles and values that dissolve from home, to playboy mates and surfing, which is now a mesh of what home is to them. The thing that really keeps this really good movie from being great however, are the characters. While Robert Duvall and Marlon Brando steal every scene they're in and are incredible(Obviously, that's like calling a Tom Hanks performance ''good.''), combined they have maybe 30 minutes of screen time, leaving 2 hours for a very, very disappointingly bland performance from Martin Sheen, who's only apparent character traits were alcoholism and his power struggle with Chief, until the last half hour where everything picks up. He's stuck with the company of the incredibly unlikable crew on the ship. I know they're supposed to be constantly changing into a darker more unrecognizable version of themselves, but when I have to sit through nearly 3 hours of them on a boat together, the least they could do is be interesting, likable or relatable, which they are none of. They just went from mediocre, to me completely checking out when I'm supposed to care that something has happened to them. One character in particular has a death scene I was rooting for because he was so obnoxious and annoying.

Aside from the plot and performances, the cinematography is famously astonishing and still mesmerizes nearly 40 years later, and is still being borrowed from and taken inspiration from. Apocalypse Now is a must see for fans of war movies, character studies or film in general.

The Devil's Rejects (2005) -

Probably going to get hate, but this was really really bad. Shockingly bad. Okay dialogue, but just a worthless story.
No hate but you deserved that!