The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hey guys, I got a plastic chainsaw today, and if you don't stop I'm going to cut this argument to pieces.

I think the best to make time for is the movies themselves, so I will try and get some shorter more direct write-ups out of the movies I have watched but haven't discussed yet in the HoF thread...

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

This film is kind of like one of those parties you go to that you don’t expect to be anything spectacular, but then it just builds into one of the greatest nights ever; obviously, for the characters not so much, but for the viewer this is one hell of a ride. Whether a good or bad thing, I think I can safely say there isn’t any movie quite like this one out there. 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' is a completely crazy and chaotically controlled film that evolves like that of a snowball going down a hill, through a wall, travelling 110 miles per hour and hitting you like a slap across the face and you find yourself knocked out and with no recollection of what the hell is happening… that’s basically this movie. There is certainly some action in it, but mostly it is a crime drama of sorts, where the plot is precise and perplexing at the same time and the tempo comes from the talking. It is the dialogue, which comes pre-packed with action and adrenaline, while being delivered in a snappy and sappy style that is totally unheard of elsewhere.

The movie is also pretty much an exercise in building a plot and obviously the movie makes quite the joke out of all that, as well taking the piss out of the entire mystery genre, noir genre and whatnot, as this bitch-slap slash homage towards these elements. In its own absurd little twisted world, I think this movie totally works. Whatever negatives I might have is also what is positives about the film. The film is fully aware of being full of itself and it fulfills my idea of good fun doing just that, while also going that extra distance to deliberately annoy me in a playful way and I like that. Downey Jr. is awesome, but as always kind of plays a version of himself, while I personally really liked Val Kilmer as “Gay Perry”. But obviously it’s the dynamic duo of the two that makes it all work – or fail for that matter, which is why it’s such a fun ride.

-
slightly generous, but the movie is a lot of fun tbh (especially in a modern cult classic kind of way...)

Bashu (1986)

There are good movies, there are great movies and there are movies that truly show the potential of the medium of film: a movie that truly displays the capacity of art to extend the dimension of the emotions that one can feel. Bashu is such a film.

Directed by Bahrām Beyzāi, one of Iran's greatest directors alongside names such as Masoud Kimiai and Asghar Farhadi, Bashu is among the most acclaimed movies in Iranian cinema although it's relatively obscure among westerners. Its a simple but very effective movie.

Iran is a large country, although not as large as Brazil or the USA, but still pretty large and diverse in itself. Bashu shows the diversity of Iran as a country and even the, surprising, racism that permeates Iranian society, revealed by the interactions between Bashu and his adopted family and village.

Its a profoundly human film that's incredibly honest and touching.

You claimed that everybody but me loves Kiarostami, I gave you a counterexample: Roger Ebert: the English speaking world's most famous film critic, who also detests his movies. That proves you wrong in your claim.

Well only if by everyone you say pretentious movie critics and movie buffs. Otherwise nobody likes his movies: if you show close up to anybody walking on the street, they will not like it. Only artsy people will like his movies.

Anyway, why do you like to fight with me so much? Because that wax obviously a bait for you to fight me. I think I might need to start ignoring you at some point.
But everyone on the street will eat up Tarkovsky and Kurosawa? I love how you said select people claim to love Kiarostami.

Kiarostami was a magnificent writer. I love the language in every single film of his I have seen. I also love how he plays around with truth and identity. He does love car scenes which I like, because I think dialogue in confined spaces adds tons of tension. It is also realistic. I have had more fights in cars than I care to admit. It's quiet, you are alone with someone many times. It's a good opportunity to bring up both poignant and controversial topics. I have had many profound discussions in cars as well.

If you wonder if Kiarastomi can do cinematography in open spaces check out Taste Of Cherry or The Wind Will Carry Us. Great film maker.

Bashu, The Little Stranger

This was my first Iranian film and i thought it was good. Wasn't sure what to expect with this. The opening bombing scene which i thought was very good made me think this would b just hardship after hardship, to my surprise though it quickly went in a different direction when he came across the mother in the field. I liked the mother a lot, she felt like a real person. She wasn't the usual loving motherly type who is sickly sweet, she was very stark and straightforward with him from when she first laid eyes on him and she clearly had concern that he was darker than her which must have grew out of some cultural ignorance. Still she never allowed him to be harmed by the dog and she gave him bread and rice, funnily enough i think this could've been a cultural thing as well, having most likely gone through tough times herself with Irans problems throughout the 20th Century it could've just been instinct to help a hungry person out even if they are alien to you. I know i'm reading into things that aren't there but i think it's an interesting way to explain both her kindness and prejudice.

It was hard not to feel for the kid. He was a little a-hole at times, it was understandable though from what he went through. Felt terrible during the various scenes his dead family appeared, particularly during the one were he breaks down and finally talks to , telling her everything what happened to him. He was pretty adorable at times, it was so nice seeing him bond with Naii over her teaching him her language during that scene, still it felt odd because he went through still extremely untrusting and scared of her the scene before to instantly easygoing and joking around with her. The racism was a surprise to me, mostly because i knew nothing about it going in and i'm of course not used to seeing depictions of racism from lighter and darker skinned people from other cultures even though it's not much different from what i am used to. The copy of this i had was in two parts and the first part ended with his "we are all children of Iran" reading, powerful scene. The copy i had was pretty mediocre and i don't think the cinematography was supposed to be stunning or anything, it came across like a more Ken Loach-like realistic look. I thought it looked good for the most part. Some nice looking shots of the fields and stuff.

Anyway, good film. Glad you nominated it Guap it was something a bit different for me. My favourite part was easily Naii and Bashu's relationship, i loved how she mostly just treated him like her other children rather than some special little snowflake, it came across alot more touching and realistic the way it was done. Really enjoyed the ending of them playing as a family as well, when Naii fell ill i thought it would end with her dying, i think this was probably the best way they could go though.

Five left, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang rewatch next.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think the best to make time for is the movies themselves, so I will try and get some shorter more direct write-ups out of the movies I have watched but haven't discussed yet in the HoF thread...

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

This film is kind of like one of those parties you go to that you don’t expect to be anything spectacular, but then it just builds into one of the greatest nights ever; obviously, for the characters not so much, but for the viewer this is one hell of a ride. Whether a good or bad thing, I think I can safely say there isn’t any movie quite like this one out there. 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' is a completely crazy and chaotically controlled film that evolves like that of a snowball going down a hill, through a wall, travelling 110 miles per hour and hitting you like a slap across the face and you find yourself knocked out and with no recollection of what the hell is happening… that’s basically this movie. There is certainly some action in it, but mostly it is a crime drama of sorts, where the plot is precise and perplexing at the same time and the tempo comes from the talking. It is the dialogue, which comes pre-packed with action and adrenaline, while being delivered in a snappy and sappy style that is totally unheard of elsewhere.

The movie is also pretty much an exercise in building a plot and obviously the movie makes quite the joke out of all that, as well taking the piss out of the entire mystery genre, noir genre and whatnot, as this bitch-slap slash homage towards these elements. In its own absurd little twisted world, I think this movie totally works. Whatever negatives I might have is also what is positives about the film. The film is fully aware of being full of itself and it fulfills my idea of good fun doing just that, while also going that extra distance to deliberately annoy me in a playful way and I like that. Downey Jr. is awesome, but as always kind of plays a version of himself, while I personally really liked Val Kilmer as “Gay Perry”. But obviously it’s the dynamic duo of the two that makes it all work – or fail for that matter, which is why it’s such a fun ride.

-
slightly generous, but the movie is a lot of fun tbh (especially in a modern cult classic kind of way...)
Have you seen The Nice Guys, I think it's fantastic! Shane Black-iest film yet.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
A few questions that I've been mulling over for the past hour or so:

How many HoFs have there been? I've seen posts saying that they've participated in 14, so there must be more that 11 general HoFs.
What types of HoFs have those not general been? I've seen a wester-, silent- and B&W HoF, but are these all?
And finally, does there exist a documet or a list of all the HoF winners? Are these winners destined to make a MoFo Hall of Fame list when enough winners have been selected?

I GASTA' KNOW!!!

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Also, yet again I'm starting a 48 hour shift, so I'll be gone most of the time for the next few days. Checking in on my break tonight around 9/10 pm-ish (GMT +1). Bye

A few questions that I've been mulling over for the past hour or so:

How many HoFs have there been? I've seen posts saying that they've participated in 14, so there must be more that 11 general HoFs.
What types of HoFs have those not general been? I've seen a wester-, silent- and B&W HoF, but are these all?
And finally, does there exist a documet or a list of all the HoF winners? Are these winners destined to make a MoFo Hall of Fame list when enough winners have been selected?

I GASTA' KNOW!!!
http://www.movieforums.com/community...39#post1391839

Here you go

Not seen Topsy or Neiba in the thread for a while. Not worried or anything though, Topsy seems to like to watch them all then give her thoughts all at once going by the TV Tournament and her posting about a few movies in a row in both this and the 10th. And Neiba always finishes.

Im in hospital so havent been able to get on much,however I just got connected properly and have loads of time to kill so i`ll have them all done in the next couple of days.
Thats why i havent been able to participate much,but im reading through it all now

Yeah,thank you! and all of you for the pms i got hit by a car but I`ll fine though,nothing serious!
yeah,they do,im not used the lack of privacy here

Yeah,thank you! and all of you for the pms i got hit by a car but I`ll fine though,nothing serious!
Hit by a car?! Damn!

Did you land on topsy the car or below?

Sorry... uhhh, hope you are doing better and will be tip-topsy soon.

had to

Thanks,
ive been catching up on some of the reviews and im really excited about the movies i have left.
I think i might start with the flowers of war since i love Hero so much.I didnt know they were from the same guy,thanks CR!
I prefer those movies without the hollywood american actor,but then again ive liked him in most movies so I`ll give him a chance before writing him off.

Holy crap, Topsy girl, that sucks! But good for you that you have a positive attitude Give the nurses hell!...but not too much, or they will pull the plug on your wifi. Take care