Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.

I haven't seen this movie in a decade, but I'm glad I started randomly quoting Buffalo Bill today(it puts the lotion in the basket) to get the idea of watching it again. this movie is timeless and I am so in love with it, from the disturbing imagery to the moth symbolism and parallels between them and Buffalo Bill himself. l really respect how this movie leaves so much to the imagination, we don't get corny flashbacks during the lamb speech, we don't see the photograph of the woman Lecter maimed, we don't see what Lecter does to Chilton. Of course Anthony Hopkins is unbelievable in this movie, he isn't playing Hannibal Lecter, he is Hannibal Lecter, he has immortalized the character no matter how far it strays from the text. Jodie Foster is excellent, and you really root for her throughout, this might not be her best role in my eyes, but its my personal favorite. Ted Levine, oh Teddy, what happened to him? How did he not become an A-list movie star? He's so disturbingly great and I'm not sure the movie could work without him. Not to mention this movies climax is definitely in the running for the most intense game of cat and mouse ever put to screen. In the end the movie leaves us with a perfect blend of pace, tone, atmosphere and imagery to accompany its mesmerizing performances and gritty story, with a subtle yet unnerving score that just encapsulates all of it into one perfect, neatly wrapped.. Cocoon? (too cheesey? )

Madness is the emergency exit…
El desconocido aka Retribution (2015)

An intense Spanish thriller about Carlos, a bank manager who is driving his kids to the school but just after they leave the house, he receives an anonymous call in a phone that has been left inside and he is told a bomb has been placed under each of the car's seats, set to explode if any of them leaves their seated position. The devices will be deactivated only once Carlos transfers a large sum of money into the caller's account.

Ju-on: The Beginning of the End (2014)

Contact (1997)

Unregistered User

Cat People (1942)

Jacques Tourneur is a director I've rather stumbled across completely by accident and have to say I'm really liking his work. Although I wouldn't rate Cat People as high as his other films, this is still a great psychological horror. In terms of atmosphere and tension in films, Tourneur is up there with some of the best I've seen.

+

Cat People (1942)

Jacques Tourneur is a director I've rather stumbled across completely by accident and have to say I'm really liking his work. Although I wouldn't rate Cat People as high as his other films, this is still a great psychological horror. In terms of atmosphere and tension in films, Tourneur is up there with some of the best I've seen.

+
You should check out other Val Lewton movies too. He's the producer associated with that and I Walked with a Zombie. The Body Snatcher is my personal favorite Lewton production.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Barfly - 6/10

This could have been great. I even ordered this on cable (despite my $300 unpaid bill). The way Rourke talked was annoying - trying to chin up like Bukowski (who is uncredited at the bar).. Didn't like any of the characters. Kinda pretentious.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Grande Illusion - 10/10

I didn't have the same feeling as the previous four times, but it's not the film's fault. I noticed I didn't miss anything, but it's still an amazing movie. Really felt for the characters. Lots of great lines of dialogue. The acting is superb.

The futility of war, the silliness of nations, invisible lines, race, etc., basically how humans can **** up a good thing - Earth.

I have to return some videotapes...
Touch of Evil (1958) -

Amazing film.

Night of the Hunter (1955) -
+

Robert Mitchum is the best.

Wolf Creek (2005) -

Gratuitous and very familiar to so many other films.

You know what this is (1994)
You know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

Nobody can captivate an audience with dialogue that is for all intents and purposes is pretty useless the plots to his films, better than Quentin Tarantino, guys a legend. Pulp Fiction is not only no exception, it's his best and only second movie. I seriously rewinded just to hear how Vincent Vega ordered his steak during his date with Mia. Everyone on the planet earth has wanted a Kahuna burger and to eat at Jack Rabbit Slims at some point. This movie resurrected John Travolta from that dumb talking baby comedy, gave Samuel L Jackson his breakout role and might just be the most influential movie in America during the 1990's in my eyes.

This damn movie is in a constant struggle fighting towards being my favorite movie of all time, I swear.

Welcome to the human race...
The Magnificent Seven (2016) -

A fine balance of the surprisingly decent and the unsurprisingly mediocre.

Unregistered User
You should check out other Val Lewton movies too. He's the producer associated with that and I Walked with a Zombie. The Body Snatcher is my personal favorite Lewton production.

I will, thanks. I have seen and liked The Body Snatcher.

Cheers

Unregistered User

Salem's Lot (1979)

Directed by Tobe Hooper and starring David Soul and the excellent James Mason, Salem's Lot is an adaptation on Stephen King's novel of the same name about a town with an increasing vampire infestation. Badly dated in parts and some of the acting is a bit wooden but if you can get past that then this is well worth the 3 hours +. Creepy and tense throughout.

+

That's MoFo horror list completed.

“I was cured, all right!”

My God! What a great movie!
10/10

Rewatch this masterpiece!
10/10

"Lee Jeong-Beom"

One of the best new directors in South Korean!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
90 Minutes in Heaven (2015)

Should have been 90 minutes, not 2 hours long. Filled with religious babbling. Not enough good acting to sustain my interest in the very slow plot. Not enough lawyer (played by Dwight Yoakam). Bosworth was stiff and dull in the role. I don't think an atheist, after surviving a car wreck, could sit through this movie. This is a step below a made for Christian television movie. It was also a gosh damned McDonald's commercial. The pissing dog was the best part. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. Darth Vader Jr. should retire from acting.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	pissing dog.png
Views:	592
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	27345  

Chungking Express -
-

[/center]

Had only watched Fallen Angels from Wong Kar-Wai before this and can't remember a thing about it.

The camerawork right at the start during the chase was nuts, never seen anything like it. I felt as if it should be irritating me/getting me dizzy but it really worked for me. If it went on longer it probably would've became a problem but there was something great about it in that short time that got me instantly interested in this. I didn't quite get into the story and characters enough to call this a favourite but i absolutely love his style the camerawork and music together worked so well for me. Feels as if i could've watched large parts of this without subtitles and enjoyed it even though i'd have no idea what was going on. Tony Leung and his story in particular wasn't of that much interest to me, other than those scenes like the one at the start i mentioned. I'm not someone who needs stuff spoonfed to me but i really could've done with a bit more of an origin story here, how he and May fell in love even a couple of short flashback scenes would've done the world of good. He just came across really mopey to me and his expired pineapple thing was just really dumb. His performance was actually fine i think i'd like him in other stuff i just didn't give a crap about his character. I did like some of the stuff after he moved past May more, particularly him meeting in the bar but for the most part i found him uninteresting. Wasn't that interested in the second story either but it led to some brilliant scenes.

About the last thing i expected this to remind me of was a Scorsese film; specifically Goodfellas. Not all of it but the male and female narration, the camerawork during certain scenes, the use of music, etc. I also felt it was paced similarly to Scorsese films at times which was a big surprise; i was expecting this to be a lot slower.

Very good film i didn't get that invested in the characters but i think if i can find one where the story works for me it could be a favourite, so definitely interested in checking out more from him. Days of Being Wild next i think followed by In The Mood For Love then 2046 to watch his loose trilogy or whatever it is.

This is definitely a style over substance rating for me but i don't care because i really liked watching this.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

John Carpenter
's Halloween is a classic film. Oftentimes dubbed as one of the innovators and founders of the Slasher genre, Halloween is the debut of the iconic Michael Myers. As a film, Halloween exceeds on a lot of levels. The acting, which introduced Jamie Lee Curtis, was well-executed and delivered on most accounts, with development of each character making them seem established. A lot of the standard horror tropes debut here as well, and for that reason, familiarity works to the film's detriment when it comes to still holding up today.

I'll admit that I believe the film is lacking in some departments. The fact that it is a classic that ushered in so much from the genre helps make it impervious from criticism, but I still found a lack of creative scares and presence. Just because something is among the first, doesn't mean that it is the most inspired, for a lot of scenes, having Michael Myers pop up and stand, aimless, for several seconds, might help advance the narrative, but it is a trope that was classic even before the film came out. The cinematic score is one of the most memorable and distinctive in history, but, in some instances, I can't help thinking it feels tacked on last minute and unneeded in some scenes.

While I don't believe Halloween holds up on all accounts today, that should only be taken as a minor criticism. The characters are memorable, and the sheer mystery of his character is one of the character's best attributes. Halloween is a good film, and while I don't think it reaches the levels of greatness that its legacy might have you believe, I do think highly of it for paving the way for what has become one of my favorite genres.