Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Devil's Pass (2013) aka The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Was on telly last night and I recorded it.
I might go out and look for the DVD tbh. I'd be happy to have this in the collection.

Group of American students go to Russia to make a documentary about the real-life famous 1959 "Dyatlov Pass Incident" in which 9 hikers/climbers were killed, yet nobody can say how or why.
It's mystery that has stumped experts for decades, especially with the way the bodies were strewn across the mountain, some were found naked, other injured, others in perfect health and yet they were all shoeless.

Found-footage style, very Blair Witch in the first two acts (students making a doc based on true stories)... then the 3rd act throws in a serious curveball (albeit with some slightly dicky CGI, yet it seems to work)...

Read a few comments about the ending on sites over the past couple hours with people being confused by the ending, yet I found it easy to understand.
Most of all, I found the ending extremely intriguing and cleverly played out.

Some of the camera footage is naïve though. Supposedly "handheld found-footage", but in one or two shots it feels like there's an actual cameraman and director behind it because it's too perfectly framed.

Definitely one to watch. Low budget, good horror, great mystery and an ending that's surprisingly clever.

If I'd done a full on review, I'd have it somewhere between 81% and 90%, giving it a

I hated that ending so much.

Films and films
Baraka By Ron Fricke

Damit this is one masterpiece.

8/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Netflix documentary, worth watching. They should just legalize and tax prostitution like they do in Amsterdam. Get rid of women being killed, getting rid of disease with mandatory testing, and to appropriate the money made via tax to fund more women who are being trafficked, as well as under-aged girls.

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)

+

The premise of this movie is similar to that of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, and the lead actors resemble each other as well. This is not a violent movie, but it is very sick. It's also very funny. The last third was a slight let down for me, but other than that I thought it was great.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

First time viewing, yeah, I know. I was skeptical going into this movie, because A. I can't easily get into older movies, which is why I have just gotten around to movies like this, and B. It being one of the most popular westerns of all time, I kinda didn't know where to put my expectations. I figured everything in this movie had been ''borrowed'' by others, thus by extent take away the originality of this for me. However, this movie blew any expectations I had out of the water. It had great characters, action and score. Seriously, Ennio Morricone's score is so damn good, especially ''The Ecstasy of Gold'' in the climax. Stuff gave me chills. I know this isn't supposed to be a review but gee golly. I was also impressed they didn't make Tuco a bumbling idiot who couldn't handle a gun and was only there to be comic relief to the story. They had every excuse and chance to go for all the annoying tropes in these movies, but they didn't.

If I had to have one gripe, it would be that I would have preferred Angel Eyes to have done more badassery so the climax meant a tad more. Regardless, it has cemented its way in my top 10.

Just watched Idiocracy and it was better than I was expecting actually

First time viewing, yeah, I know. I was skeptical going into this movie, because A. I can't easily get into older movies, which is why I have just gotten around to movies like this, and B. It being one of the most popular westerns of all time, I kinda didn't know where to put my expectations. I figured everything in this movie had been ''borrowed'' by others, thus by extent take away the originality of this for me. However, this movie blew any expectations I had out of the water. It had great characters, action and score. Seriously, Ennio Morricone's score is so damn good, especially ''The Ecstasy of Gold'' in the climax. Stuff gave me chills. I know this isn't supposed to be a review but gee golly. I was also impressed they didn't make Tuco a bumbling idiot who couldn't handle a gun and was only there to be comic relief to the story. They had every excuse and chance to go for all the annoying tropes in these movies, but they didn't.

If I had to have one gripe, it would be that I would have preferred Angel Eyes to have done more badassery so the climax meant a tad more. Regardless, it has cemented its way in my top 10.

Excellent review of The Good The Bad and The Ugly ( btw you might want to put the movies title at the top of your review.) Very cool that you found a Top 10 favorite, it's one of my all time favorites and IMO the best of the Eastwood/Leone films. Glad to see new members discovering the classics.

Welcome to the human race...
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider -

Ah, I'd been watching too many good movies lately anyway.

Funny Face (1968)

The Lobster:
I Will admit that it runs out of steam when the setting changes halfway through, but it's a very original and surprisingly very funny meditation on 21st century romance.

Th Nice Guys:
It's okay, I guess. I don't understand the massive praise. Angourie Rice gives the best performance in the film as Ryan Goslings' daughter. The script was off. Story went everywhere, characters were cliches, and the written jokes were few and poor (but the physical comedy was very good, with the toilet stall and ankle gun being highlights).

Lovelace:
A stellar, thoroughly entertaining film. Amanda Seyfried is apparently a very good actress, the movie actually uses its 1970's Los Angeles setting unlike The Nice Guys, and I really liked how the movie is evenly split in half, with the second half going over most of the first but with a different perspective. I think that this flew under the radar, but I highly recommend it.

The Magnificent Seven (1960)
If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep.

I was disappointed in this one, while it had some good characters, most of the titular characters fell a little flat to me, and I don't think the movie had the emotional, existential depth it was going for with some of the character's development throughout. Felt like it was trying to be much more than it was.

Maybe the fire of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly hasn't quite sizzled away and I'm being a little too hard on this one, even if they're very different movies. But I had some expectations that just weren't met with an acclaimed movie titled ''The Magnificent Seven'' and the promise of unforgettable characters, with maybe 2-3 interesting characters and a very slow burn.