Beheading of Nick Berg

Tools    

I am not sure how to react to the murder of this man. I am still outraged at our military leadership for allowing Genva convention violations, but this kind of makes me feel numb. I am sure anger will come forward, but the sorrow I feel for the family is tandamount right now. Could you imagine being the parent of this victum and actually watching the video? I was going to watch it but I just could not. I looked at still photos and I am glad I did not watch the clip.

I am so mad and sickened by this whole thing, I can’t even talk about it…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

he was an innocent...there is not (and never will be) a justification for what happened to him...pure brutality...makes me sick

This is infuriating... as is the Iraqi prisoner abuse.

Originally Posted by 7thson
I was going to watch it but I just could not. I looked at still photos and I am glad I did not watch the clip.
Yeah, I was about to watch a clip, I haven't seen any pictures, and I changed my mind. It would have upset me so much.

My life isn't written very well.
This is the reality of WAR. See what it can do? His poor family...a travesty!
Let's hope this "war" ends soon. Too many people have died already...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I know it makes me upset that incidents like this take place. All the guy was trying to do was help the Iraqi's rebuild. I know i start to cry when i hear about it. It's so sad. It reminds me of Daniel Pearl.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I don't understand how this can be classed as a war anymore... Nothing is changing, maybe it is even getting worse. What else is there we can do to help? esp when someone who was helping was butchered!!! I know there is wrong on both sides...but I think that you have to be an animal to kill someone in that manner. And the only "justification" if I can even call it that, is based on the FAKE (as proven by government officials) photos concerning British Soldier abuse. As far as I can see, there is no justification anymore-and you can't enforce help where its obviously not wanted anymore.

When I heard about this on the news I attempted to justify it in some way, but this action is totally unjustifiable. I'm sickened by these actions just like everyone else, but wonder how far this could go. I can imagine the soldiers in Iraq will be enraged, but I just hope they don't do anything stupid.

maybe pulling out of Iraq is the best option? how many more need die? I've seen clips of soldiers being paraded around the streets in Iraq beaten and bloody, then killed, for what? Entertainment? Exactly what do we have to show for losing our soldiers? I think its a waste.

Has anyone actually watched the video? I have and...I am deeply scarred now. This whole thing needs to end.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Has anyone actually watched the video? I have and...I am deeply scarred now. This whole thing needs to end.
If you made a point of watching it, then you deserve it.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Yeah Brian's right. I didn't watch the video, but I looked at some stills--I think the curious reporter side of me and the macabre side made me look.

YES IT IS DISTURBING! Please don't look at any portion of un-edited materials on this subject unless you prepare yourself. If your curiosity gets the better of you, and you find a website posting the pictures or video, please don't look or watch if you haven't prepared yourself mentally. It helps if you've seen real human body trauma before, or are in the medical field. If not, you only have yourself to blame.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
This whole thing needs to end.
"Tit for tat, butter for fat, you kicked my dog, so I'll kick your cat."

Does it ever.

[Meanwhile, the video – and perhaps even some of the stills – should not have been released to the public. This whole thing is turning into non-satirical version of John Herzfeld's 15 Minutes.]

It was released to the public on an Arabian website.

All I know is that I'd like to kill the mother****ers myself.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
It was released to the public on an Arabian website.
Sorry. I didn't know.

Out of interest, what has the American media had to say about it? What have they shown, if anything?

And as much as you'd like to kill them, Slay, I don't think that would achieve much of anything. But then again, why the Hell not kill them? You may as well do whatever you want. Frankly, both "sides" have done so much wrong at this point, I don't think there's ever going to be any freedom, peace or salvation for anyone.

The American media sucks a**! (that's one of the reasons I got out of the field). Any major cable news program either slants the story to the EXTREME right, or concentrates on the fact that it was filmed!

The news here SB is not like BBC (thank God I still get that on public TV)! The news here in the States pays pretty people that haven't a clue of current events to introduce reporters or "experts" that pretty much fill their interviews with agendas, opinions and editorials. Rarely are the facts as we know them reported.

In college, the first thing you learn in journalism (TV kind), is that you DO NOT editorialize a story. You write about what you learned by asking Who What Where When and How. American media loves to think they know exactly Why! That just isn't news--it's entertainment!

This story has been a little underplayed due to its content (They don't want to piss off the FCC, ahem...Janet Jackson!), instead the story is slanted to include the feelings of our President, who on camera, looks very concerned! It's become a joke; Will President Bush address what's going on? Or will he leave it to his staff?

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
The American media sucks a**! (that's one of the reasons I got out of the field). Any major cable news program either slants the story to the EXTREME right, or concentrates on the fact that it was filmed!

The news here SB is not like BBC (thank God I still get that on public TV)! The news here in the States pays pretty people that haven't a clue of current events to introduce reporters or "experts" that pretty much fill their interviews with agendas, opinions and editorials. Rarely are the facts as we know them reported.

In college, the first thing you learn in journalism (TV kind), is that you DO NOT editorialize a story. You write about what you learned by asking Who What Where When and How. American media loves to think they know exactly Why! That just isn't news--it's entertainment!

This story has been a little underplayed due to its content (They don't want to piss off the FCC, ahem...Janet Jackson!), instead the story is slanted to include the feelings of our President, who on camera, looks very concerned! It's become a joke; Will President Bush address what's going on? Or will he leave it to his staff?
I agree with you completely. And don't you mean "fill their agendas"?

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
And as much as you'd like to kill them, Slay, I don't think that would achieve much of anything. But then again, why the Hell not kill them? You may as well do whatever you want. Frankly, both "sides" have done so much wrong at this point, I don't think there's ever going to be any freedom, peace or salvation for anyone.
I didn't expect you to respond to that. I was going to try and prove a point that watching something like this will benifit no one at all. Instead of making somebody aware and enlightened, it will fuel hatred; not anger, but hatred.

The US media only talks about it, but they make sure everybody knows that there are literally thousands of American websites hosting the video for anyone who wants to see it.

I personally have no interest in seeing it.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
The US media only talks about it, but they make sure everybody knows that there are literally thousands of American websites hosting the video for anyone who wants to see it.
Yeah, that's what gets to me the most: they won't show it themselves, of course, but by God, they want you to see it.

[By the way, my comment was only in reply to your wanting to kill them, Brian, and wasn't an attack on you. The only thing I was attacking was the mindlessness of everything that's going on. To quote a Paul Newman character, "[T]here is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven."]

i haven't seen it nor do i want to..some newsperson on cnn last night described the whole thing..not worth repeating here..just know that it was a horrible horrible thing...