3. Vertigo
4. Sunset Blvd.
5. North By Northwest
6. Singin' In The Rain
7. Roshomon
8. Rear Window
9. Bridge On The River Kwai
10. Paths Of Glory

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All About Eve and Some Like It Hot are both great movies, but neither made my list. I'm surprised that All About Eve didn't make the top ten, but I think Some Like It Hot is a bit overrated, so I thought it would have been a little bit lower than this.

All About Eve and Some Like It Hot are both great movies, but neither made my list. I'm surprised that All About Eve didn't make the top ten, but I think Some Like It Hot is a bit overrated, so I thought it would have been a little bit lower than this.
I think Some Like It Hot is overrated myself, but surely you thinking it is overrated would mean you'd think it would end up a bit higher rather than lower?

I think Some Like It Hot is overrated myself, but surely you thinking it is overrated would mean you'd think it would end up a bit higher rather than lower?

I meant "lower" as in "lower on the list", not as in the actual number where it placed on the list. (Higher is better, lower is worse.)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
When I started to make my '50s list, All About Eve was one of the first I listed, but unfortunately it didn't make the final 25, even though two others (People Will Talk, Guys and Dolls) by the writer/director did.
All About Eve (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1950)

Oscar-winning classic retains most of its mordant humor and backstabbing plot turns as it tells the story of a mousy young thing (Anne Baxter) named Eve who idolizes the First Lady of the Theatre, Margo Channing (Bette Davis). Before long, Eve goes to work for Margo, but Eve seems to be studying Margo in an attempt to "take over" for the older actress and get in the good graces of Margo's director/lover (Gary Merrill) and her playwright (Hugh Marlowe). Other important characters include the playwright's wife (Celeste Holm) and an acid-tongued columnist (George Sanders) who knows more about Eve than the other characters and plans to try to control her life, both personally and career-wise. The way the film builds from everybody loving Eve to everybody hating her is masterfully done, as is the fact that the film is told in flashback and has multiple narrators. Mankiewicz is known for his dialogue, and this is undoubtedly the most famous of his films, although many others (A Letter to Three Wives, People Will Talk, Guys and Dolls, Sleuth) are well worth watching. This one will end up here ASAP.
Some Like It Hot was my #6 - a hilarious sex comedy and so much more. As you can see, the photography is great in this movie, as are the music, sets, costumes, etc. All the acting is great too with Marilyn being both sexy and vulnerable. The plot makes total sense too. (Well, it is farcical, but why they're hiding out as women to get away from the St. Valentine's Day Massacre gangsters is fully explained). This is Billy Wilder's second-best film to me, only after the under-seen One, Two, Three. Two hours of superlative entertainment!

My List
1. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
6. Some Like It Hot (#11)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
17. A Streetcar Named Desire (#19)
18. The Trouble with Harry (Did Not Place)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
23. Guys and Dolls (Did Not Place)
24. The Big Country (#66)

Raul always does the same thing. If there was a 'things that bother you much more than they should' thread then that would be one of my answers. HIgher on the list people!

Shouldn't the top of the list have the best movies? Wouldn't that make the better movies higher and the worse movies lower?

I meant "lower" as in "lower on the list", not as in the actual number where it placed on the list. (Higher is better, lower is worse.)
I just deleted that comment because i completely misread what you were saying . My point was the fact that you find the film overvalued would mean you'd expect it to be higher on the list rather than lower which would conform with your opinion and therefore not make it overrated.

Shouldn't the top of the list have the best movies? Wouldn't that make the better movies higher and the worse movies lower?
As i said i read your comment quickly and misread what you were saying.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
All about Eve is one I've seen bits of and, of course, NEED to watch in its entirety and Some Like it Hot made it as #10

List:
#1 F'git about it
]#2 On the Waterfront (15)
#3 Definitely
#4 Definitely
#5 Dammit, really? Not gonna show? What a gyp
#6 Harvey (31)
#7 Stalag 17 (48)
#8 Well, crap
#9 Definitely
#10 Some Like it Hot (11)
#11 Definitely
#12 Night of the Hunter (25)
#13 Streetcar Named Desire (19)
#14 Peter Pan (59)
#15 Alice in Wonderland (27)
#16 another that shoulda, but ain't gonna
#17 I kinda figured, but, hey, whaddya gona do
#18 Witness for the Prosecution (24)
#19 Another that would have popped up right away or not at all
#20 Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#22 Didn't expect it would show up any ole way
#23 An old favorite that got left in the dirt - boo hoo
#24 The Killing (52)
#25 STILL CONTINUE to have fingers crossed for 1 pointer category
Watched: 46/90

Im feeling pretty good about the next 10 Films for am certain 4 Movies will be in the final 10 but will not say which ones.

I liked Some Like it Hot, its a classic comedy but it didn't feel like one of the greatest movies ever made to me (like all art it doesn't touch everybody, specially this very American iconic movie that obviously will not tend to appeal to someone who does not share that cultural background).

I haven't watched the other one.

I think I included Seventh Seal in my list, that's a great movie by Bergman. Very elegant in it's style and impressive as a work of art.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
All About Eve -

Some Like It Hot -

Both superb movies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.