The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sorry to hear that you couldn't really enjoy it. What was it about the copy you watched that ruined the experience, if you don't mind me asking? I watched the Criterion DVD (borrowed from a friend), and while it wasn't a pristine copy, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the film at all. But then again that sort of thing never really bothers me, and I think it can even add to the charm of certain types of films. Unless we're talking like, really old worn out VHS tape quality. Then that would definitely irritate me as well haha.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't really enjoy it. What was it about the copy you watched that ruined the experience, if you don't mind me asking? I watched the Criterion DVD (borrowed from a friend), and while it wasn't a pristine copy, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the film at all. But then again that sort of thing never really bothers me, and I think it can even add to the charm of certain types of films. Unless we're talking like, really old worn out VHS tape quality. Then that would definitely irritate me as well haha.
Well, a good story is a good story. It's not like I'll hate the movie if the quality is bad.

But comparing movies when watched at the best possible quality and subpar quality, the experience is so much more. The movie really feels like it was intended to feel and you are immersed in a whole other way.

But as I said, I feel like multiple things went wrong that had nothing to do with the film itself. Hopefully I'll get a viewing in close to deadline, as stated, and get a better experience out of it.

Looks like I've only got three films left to watch for this HOF: Bashu, The Flowers of War, and Ida. I'll probably watch Ida tonight, then Flowers of War tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

After that I'll probably take a break and watch some non-HOF films, including Le Cercle Rouge, then I'll see about getting hold of a usable copy of Bashu.

6 left for me. As i said i'm not rewatching Moonrise and i'm only rewatching Her if i've finished everything with time to spare.

Bashu either tonight or tomorrow, depends if i'm in the mood after the Celtic game tonight. Then i think i'm going in this order: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (rewatch)>Samurai Rebellion>Ida>The Flowers of War>Good Bye Lenin!

Alright, I watched half of the movies for this HoF - as in watched them as part of the HoF - because it's one more if I'm counting Embrace of the Serpent too, which I saw very recently... But I do plan on rewatching that as well...

What I have watched so far: Samurai Rebellion, Ronin (re), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (re), Moonrise Kingdom (re), Her (re), Ida (re).

What I have yet to watch: Bringing Up Baby, Bashu the Little Stranger, Good Bye, Lenin, The Dead Girl, The Flowers of War, Embrace of the Serpent (re)

I might watch something else than a HoF nom tonight, but then I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Samurai Rebellion
It wasn’t easy finding a decent copy of this film, but thanks to cricket I did at least find one that was more or less watchable....it really is a shame that ‘Samurai Rebellion’ has yet to hit any type of HD format.
MM, it's too bad you had to watch this excellent movie in poor quality. I know a poor quality viewing effects my enjoyment. Luckily I watched it on Criterion DVD and it's a HD restored quality. If you have a few bucks to spare, pick up the DVD. Or I might be able to find you a quality online link.

https://www.criterion.com/films/753-samurai-rebellion

...I feel like I didn’t get everything I could out of this film. I won’t strike down on one singular reason, but I feel like everything from the sub-par quality, to the classic status, to the ambiguous nature of the movie were all partners in crime to make this a viewing experience instead of an experience viewing.
It sounds like you were distracted during the viewing, based on what you are saying. I didn't find anything ambiguous in the story but if you were distracted and not into the movie you might have missed the physiological aspects of it. Think of the movie as a big chess game, with family, marriage and pride the playing pieces. Or think of it as a Douglas Sirk melodrama set in Japan's feudal period.

The best I can do is to revisit the film right before the deadline and hopefully that will give me enough time between the two viewings to award this film with the rating and ranking it deserves…
Admirable and spoken like a true cinephille.

Wow! you guys are fast at watching the films. I feel slow but I'll keep at. I've only watched 4 so far: Samurai Rebellion, Moonrise Kingdom, Her and Bringing Up Baby (but I did watch that one twice).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm impressed with MM, Miss Vicky, and Camos pace here. I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this morning before i went and saw Don't Breathe. I'll have a little something posted for it soon.

MM, it's too bad you had to watch this excellent movie in poor quality. I know a poor quality viewing effects my enjoyment. Luckily I watched it on Criterion DVD and it's a HD restored quality. If you have a few bucks to spare, pick up the DVD. Or I might be able to find you a quality online link.
Yeah, I thought about trying to buy the dvd and hopefully it'll be better quality.

It sounds like you were distracted during the viewing, based on what you are saying. I didn't find anything ambiguous in the story but if you were distracted and not into the movie you might have missed the physiological aspects of it. Think of the movie as a big chess game, with family, marriage and pride the playing pieces. Or think of it as a Douglas Sirk melodrama set in Japan's feudal period.
I was distracted yes. Ambiguous was most likely the wrong word here, but there was a lot going on - like you said, like a big chess game - so when not fully invested I kept missing little key elements to what happened next and who was who etc etc.

Admirable and spoken like a true cinephille.
Thanks haha

So far Samurai Rebellion is my favorite film of the 11th....albeit I still have a boatload of films to watch
After, watching 3 (not including 3 I've already seen, I'm with you.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

A movie that I liked but didn't love. It definitely was helped by the fact that Robert Downey Jr. Was in it. Without him, I think the movie wouldn't have really been anything. I thought Monahan was good and I wouldn't agree with her being miscast, though she was good for the role. Kilmer was ok but I wouldn't say anything extraordinary. The story was ok but it definitely had its faults. I enjoyed the movies humor and it had a nice enough pace to keep me interested. Far from anything extraordinary but it was a fun watch.

+

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
*Sigh*

Note to self: Do not try to watch a brand new film after completing a 24 h shift, you'll just fall asleep, wake up after 20 min and realize that you won't be able to post the review you promised these nice people.

So, there won't be a review tonight, guys. I got 1h 35 min into Samurai Rebellion, then I fell asleep and woke up around the 1h 50 mark. I'll have to wait until friday night to finish it and I HATE to leave in the middle of a movie. It totally ruins the feel of the movie and I'll have to watch about 15 min of film I've allready seen just to get back into the mood of the film. To top it all off, I was really enjoying myself, too.

Anyway, gruff, gruff etc. I'll get the review up on friday/saturday, then I'll burn through Kiss kiss, bang bang and Ronin during the weekend. Or somthing else unrelated to the HoF, I haven't decided if I'm going to be responsible or simply goof off.

It's all good, Clazor. I screwed up too, also with Samurai Rebellion, what a coincidence. I think it's okay to make the assumption that it's not us, it's the movie that sucks.

Kidding. But what I wanted to say is that it's better to wait and be in the right mood than to screw up a good film.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
It's all good, Clazor. I screwed up too, also with Samurai Rebellion, what a coincidence. I think it's okay to make the assumption that it's not us, it's the movie that sucks.

Kidding. But what I wanted to say is that it's better to wait and be in the right mood than to screw up a good film.
True, maybe best to wait awhile and watch the entire thing again. Anyway, it's the big LOTR weekend coming up to boot, so the early evening and night are occupied with awesome fantasy and talking on the chat. I'm pumped for it, sorry to hear that you got to work.

Samurai Rebellion
It wasn’t easy finding a decent copy of this film, but thanks to cricket I did at least find one that was more or less watchable. But being the cinephile I am, with a tendency to track down the best quality possible for a film in order to get the best possible viewing experience and not miss a single detail, it really is a shame that ‘Samurai Rebellion’ has yet to hit any type of HD format.

Anyways, ‘Samurai Rebellion’ is a film I’m very happy to have finally watched, but I kind of wish it wasn’t nominated for a Hall of Fame to be honest (and that's purely a personal thing). It clearly stands as a competent piece of cinema, but because of the combination of a lot of things, I feel like I didn’t get everything I could out of this film. I won’t strike down on one singular reason, but I feel like everything from the sub-par quality, to the classic status, to the ambiguous nature of the movie were all partners in crime to make this a viewing experience instead of an experience viewing. There was a lot of things wrong with my viewing of it and it also feels like, most of all, it was one of those films where you have to be completely invested and immersed to enjoy the film to the fullest. It is one of those films that I can already call great but won’t certify as such until a second viewing.

It is really hard to explain, but the viewing and the viewer has to be connected for a film to fully work and with my viewing only the film worked. I was a little to distanced and it really is a shame… The best I can do is to revisit the film right before the deadline and hopefully that will give me enough time between the two viewings to award this film with the rating and ranking it deserves… For now, I’ll not comment further on the film out of respect for the film and because I won’t lower myself to a point where I will discuss something without being able to stand behind what I say.
Nice respect for it. When I don't connect with a movie I am too lazy to give such a respectful note for it, I say it's shitte and that's it. I invoked the wrath of many

Anyway, I also wasn't very much connected with Samurai Rebellion, I think the main reason for me was it's lack of edge to keep my interest: since now I am used with Japanese narratives it's "exotic quality" doesn't draw my interest and it lacks the subtle psychological complexities of Ozu, the intellectual sophistication of Kurosawa's masterpieces or the pop culture appeal of modern Japanese film.

This movie feels like a 1970's period drama gekiga manga to me.

Nice respect for it. When I don't connect with a movie I am too lazy to give such a respectful note for it, I say it's shitte and that's it. I invoked the wrath of many

Anyway, I also wasn't very much connected with Samurai Rebellion, I think the main reason for me was it's lack of edge to keep my interest: since now I am used with Japanese narratives it's "exotic quality" doesn't draw my interest and it lacks the subtle psychological complexities of Ozu, the intellectual sophistication of Kurosawa's masterpieces or the pop culture appeal of modern Japanese film.

This movie feels like a 1970's period drama gekiga manga to me.
Guap, that's the same generalized foo-foo, nothing write up that you always do for the Hofs. Ever since Camo said you needed to write more, you've only made your write ups longer, never do you do personally takes, like you just watched the movie. BTW I was the third person who told Camo that I don't believe you watch the movies. And I still don't think you do.