Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Darkness

Another slice of bacon.... Standard run of the mill horror for 2016, afraid to be different, afraid to take risks, I will probably have forgotten about it in a week, this won't go down as anything special but saying all that, it wasn't really terrible and did have a few nice touches 2/5
The second I saw the scene in the trailer with the hand print over her mouth I checked out. But only for a minute. I'm not going to fool myself and say I won't watch it because I still will. I rarely turn down a horror. But I'm going into this with very low expectations.

The second I saw the scene in the trailer with the hand print over her mouth I checked out. But only for a minute. I'm not going to fool myself and say I won't watch it because I still will. I rarely turn down a horror. But I'm going into this with very low expectations.
There's quite a lot of hand prints..

with low expectations you might really like it.. I went into this with average expectations and it was just that imo.. but look forward to hear what you think.

There's quite a lot of hand prints..

with low expectations you might really like it.. I went into this with average expectations and it was just that imo.. but look forward to hear what you think.
It's different, I'll give them that. But they used it in the silliest way possible, it just looks ridiculous. You're right, maybe, just maybe it'll surprise me. I doubt it, though.

Erin Brokovich (2000)

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Wildlike

Thank you to whoever it was that reviewed this a few weeks ago, I simply loved it, the story, the beautiful backdrop of the Alaskan wilderness, genre defying and uplifting, a fantastic achievement by writer/director Frank Hall Green... and sorry I forgot who reviewed this (I had no idea it won so many awards but I can say it deserves every one)

5/5 I just can't fault it

The Stranger (1946)

-

Orson Welles directs and stars as a Nazi war criminal who has disappeared and made a new life for himself in a small New England town. Edward G. Robinson plays the investigator who tracks him down, except he doesn't know his new identity or what he looks like. The wanted man's new wife holds the key. It's an excellent story with big performances by the two stars. I think it could have been executed a little better and contained a little more intrigue, but I thought it was a great watch with a sinister side.

TROY (2004)

There are no pacts between lions and men

Douchey and fun

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Troy theme

300 (2007)

Only Spartan women give birth to real men

Douchey and fun

Rating
:
+ 7.5 / 10

300 theme

The key to "Troy" is realization that no character achieves anything they set out to achieve from the beginning. One might say it all goes pear-shaped for everybody.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Withnail & I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)

Wow...
The script alone is an outstanding piece of literature, the acting is amazing, especially by Richard E. Grant who haves an incredible character! Also, gay Uncle Vernon ruined my childhood...
It's one of the best movies I've seen this year, and considering the amount of masterpieces I've watched lately, that says a lot!

Devil's Pass (2013) aka The Dyatlov Pass Incident

Was on telly last night and I recorded it.
I might go out and look for the DVD tbh. I'd be happy to have this in the collection.

Group of American students go to Russia to make a documentary about the real-life famous 1959 "Dyatlov Pass Incident" in which 9 hikers/climbers were killed, yet nobody can say how or why.
It's mystery that has stumped experts for decades, especially with the way the bodies were strewn across the mountain, some were found naked, other injured, others in perfect health and yet they were all shoeless.

Found-footage style, very Blair Witch in the first two acts (students making a doc based on true stories)... then the 3rd act throws in a serious curveball (albeit with some slightly dicky CGI, yet it seems to work)...

Read a few comments about the ending on sites over the past couple hours with people being confused by the ending, yet I found it easy to understand.
Most of all, I found the ending extremely intriguing and cleverly played out.

Some of the camera footage is naïve though. Supposedly "handheld found-footage", but in one or two shots it feels like there's an actual cameraman and director behind it because it's too perfectly framed.

Definitely one to watch. Low budget, good horror, great mystery and an ending that's surprisingly clever.

If I'd done a full on review, I'd have it somewhere between 81% and 90%, giving it a

Welcome to the human race...
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains -
, maybe

Not what I was expecting and I am still not sure if that's a good thing or not.