1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

20th Sep:
266. The Warrior's Way (Sngmoo Lee - 2010, dvd)
+
Stylised mix of fantasy MA and western that for me suffers somewhat with never really settling in tone for any major length of time for much of it's runtime but thankfully never takes itself overly seriously, has a few nice touches of whimsy along the way and gradually builds to a fun crescendo before sadly ending rather lamely.

21st Sep:
267. The Crazies (George A. Romero - 1973, dvd)

Horror that suffers from some pretty poor acting, dialogue and effects due to it's restrictive budget but still manages to present a watchable, and for the most part believable, scenario which successfully taps into a general fear/mistrust of clandestine governmental behaviour and generally moves along at a fast enough clip to keep one interested in proceedings.

268. The Crazies (Breck Eisner - 2010, dvd)
+
More of a reimagining of the above than a remake imo but far superior in terms of dialogue, acting and effects (as it should be with it's budget) and is a well enough crafted and often taut horror/thriller even if aspects of it do irk such as the pointless opening scene, one not so well realised scene toward the end and making the government actions more of a shady conspiracy as opposed to the much more believable bumbling, ineffectual cover-up in the original.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A truly engulfing film diary with a spectacular array of films. YAH Chymmunk!!!

what a truly delightfully pesky sciuridae you are!!

A truly engulfing film diary with a spectacular array of films. YAH Chymmunk!!!

what a truly delightfully pesky sciuridae you are!!
Lol thanks .... I think

24th Sep:
269. Misery (Rob Reiner - 1990, dvd)

Great (and for my money the best) adaptation of a Stephen King novel in which both leads put in excellent performances in what is primarily a two-hander that doesn't need to go into graphic detail in order to both draw in and keep the viewer (the most memorable scene is still remarkably powerful to this day though) and imo is only let down slightly by a climax that is rather predictable in it's presentation.

270. Shockproof (Douglas Sirk - 1949, tv)

So-so noir that is perfectly well made but somewhat difficult to find all that believable and doesn't really have much of an edge.

25th Sep:
271. Jimmy's Hall (Ken Loach - 2014, tv)

Nicely made period drama based on the tribulations of Irish Communist James Gralton that is generally quite lighthearted in nature which makes for an easy yet interesting watch.

26th Sep:
272. Lolita (Stanley Kubrick - 1962, dvd)

Delightfully playful at times version of Nabokov's controversial tale that still manages to convey the licentious central theme well and has good performances from all the main participants (especially James Mason) though a few aspects do let proceedings down somewhat imo such as the unnecessary slapstick with the cot at the hotel and the less than convincing 'reunion' scene near the end.

Misery loves company, so I'll gladly sit down with my copy of it and enjoy a good film. seriously though, awesome film.

I really need to see Lolita.
Misery still holds up extremely well imo. Both versions of Lolita are worth a watch imo though Lyne's does dwell on the lascivious side of things a little too much for my personal taste and rates a little lower accordingly (still a decent offering tho').

28th Sep:
273. Dr. Strangelove ... (Stanley Kubrick - 1964, dvd)
+
Enjoyable piece of cold war absurdity from Kubrick, complete with fittingly less than impressive b-movie style special effects, in which Sellers revels in multiple roles - that remains, for the next few months at least, a satirical dark comedy.

25th Sep:
271. Jimmy's Hall (Ken Loach - 2014, tv)

Nicely made period drama based on the tribulations of Irish Communist James Gralton that is generally quite lighthearted in nature which makes for an easy yet interesting watch.
Think this is on Netflix or it was at least, if it still is i might watch it. Really want to see more from Loach, only watched four so far i think.

30th Sep:
274. Kes (Ken Loach - 1969, dvd)
+
Slice of life drama that might look somewhat dated now but mixes both the poignant and comical really well and with a central character that is easy to relate to remains both effective and moving as well as being an interesting social commentary of it's time.

I should rewatch Kes at some point. Saw it about five years ago and thought it was pretty dull, but it wasn't really my type of film at the time so i might like it now.

I should rewatch Kes at some point. Saw it about five years ago and thought it was pretty dull, but it wasn't really my type of film at the time so i might like it now.
Well by modern standards it probably is dull tbf, worth giving it another shot tho imo.

1st Oct:
275. The Railway Man (Jonathan Teplitzky - 2013, tv)

Biographical drama that's a decent enough watch overall but overplays things at times when seeking an emotional response and the romance didn't work well for me.

Kes was probably my favorite of the kitchen sink type besides Room at the Top.
I really ought to get round to Room At The Top some time, pretty sure I've never seen it or if I have then it was so long ago the knowledge of it was retained solely within a long since deceased brain cell.

I think you'd like it quite a bit.
I agree, Room At The Top is something I'd expect you to like, Chyp.
Guess I'd best get my act together then and start hunting it down