Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

One of the strangest films I've seen in a long time. And not in a good way. How did this make the MoFo horror list???
The sphere is cute though and ..... no, yeah, that's about it really

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
If it was possible to plus rep one post twice in the same window I would have
Here, he looks like he's imitating a Jim Carrey comedy bit.

“I was cured, all right!”
Here, he looks like he's imitating a Jim Carrey comedy bit.

Holy ****, this is the remake from Oldboy? It really looks he is imitating a Jim Carrey comedy haha. I'm a big, big fan of the original and I will never watch this remake.

Welcome to the human race...
And still, Iro has the highest rating of a bad movie...

Never thought I should say that.
You're just glad it's not you for a change.

The Conversation -
+

No idea why it has taken me this long to get to this. It was my last of Coppolas heralded 70's films and during this time i've watched several of his later ones. During the first 20 minutes i was well on my way to hating this. It was so dull, i could barely keep myself focused on what little was happening and that piano playing was so out of place, it was like when you have a random piece of music played during the intro of a film while the characters are doing mundane stuff except it continued long after the intro while Hackman was reading or was on the phone.

The scene where he meets his girlfriend is when i started to get interested, he was so uncomfortable with her, and i mean his demeanor not just his refusal to answer questions, when he put his arm around her or kissed her it came across so unnatural like he didn't want to be there. It was the first time he came across like a jittery, paranoid mess and it was definitely when i became intrigued in him and his story.

The "he'd kill us if he got the chance scene" was excellent. Harry constantly playing this over and over and over, rewinding and playing again, listening to the same boring conversation with drums obscuring the one tiny sentence he can't isolate, playing it at all sorts of different pitches all with John Cazale in his ear at the side. I think that scene was supposed to be really hectic and irritating to the viewer, it makes you feel as if Harry's brains must be slowly scrambling from doing this job for however long he has.

Gene Hackman gives one of the greatest performances i've ever seen. Funny thing is from what i've seen of Hackman if i was FFC i doubt i would have thought of him to play this role, greating casting choice. All of the other actors give solid performances, it feels like their characters sole purpose is to make Harry and Harrys situation more intriguing, which really works. A while ago i was under the false impression that 99% of this was just Hackman in one room and honestly even though it's not it kind of feels like it since everything is so centred around Harry. Whenever he meets anyone in the same profession as him, its always about how Harry is the best at what he does, most conversations are about Harry which is so odd since Harry usually neither starts or participates in them much. He just stands around looking awkward and jittery as if he doesn't want to be there, which makes everything about him the more intriguing. I love how during the party scene Cazale points out that at least part of his anger came from the guy that bugged him taking the lord name in vain, it really pushes the catholic guilt part of the film, of course it is obvious but it makes you think that despite doing or saying little during the film he is a pretty complex character with sever inner conflicts playing out throughout the film. From his dream/nightmare the night of the party on the film becomes really tense and haunting, loved the ending.

The score really grew on me as well, it was mostly for the reasons i hated it as well which is hilarious. It was often played at weird moments at an equal or higher volume to the other sounds in the scene and coupled with other sounds like the noise of the tapes in the following scene during the elevator scene after he meets Harrison ford, it made everything so unnerving which is obviously a big goal in this film. The use of sound overall was fantastic after i allowed myself to just take it as it is rather than think why is this playing.

Also just a weird aside, Harrison Ford looked really odd in this. As soon as i saw him i knew it was him of coursebut looking at him i just thought there is something different, i can't explain it, it was like his face was 15% different in Star Wars three years later

I think this is a masterpiece and i never use that word. When i rewatch it i believe my rating will most likely go up, its just those first twenty that are holding it down and i think that's because i found its approach pretty jarring at first. Every scene from the one he meets his girlfriend on is great and interesting in its own way. I know it is a very cliche thing to say but i think this is a film that i'll pick up new things in each time i watch it. Great film.

Unregistered User

3 Women (1977)

Another character-driven masterpiece from Robert Altman. Duvall and Spacek are both brilliant, as is Janice Rule, who although not featured as much, is equally as important in this as the previous two are. As guessed, it was pretty odd but this made it all the more watchable, especially with the obvious inspiration coming from Bergman. On a personal note, it has that great American 70's feel to it, which I love and with a main theme of loneliness and isolation throughout, 3 Women really hit every note for me. Its heart-breaking, haunting and complex but its also not without its comedic moments.

Apparently this is all based on a dream Altman had and this rings true as 3 Women has a very surreal atmosphere, all the while still being very realistic and easy to relate to, which added a sinister vibe for me. It wont provide all the answers you're looking for and instead leave things open ended but for me, that serves to make this even more memorable.

+

Ultimate Avengers (2006)

Bridget Jones Diary (2001)

Jeepers Creepers (2001) -

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Oldboy (2003)
-

Sick! Twisted! Themes of suicide, mental illness (possible result of inbreeding in the family ) and incest are mixed with a vigilante punishment that does not fit the crime, revenge for that punishment, self-mutilation and a warped definition of honor within a culture. Aside from all that, the fight scenes are really cool. There are some neat surprises along the way. Overall, the film ties everything together very nicely. It does what it intends to do, fairly well. I will not be watching the Brolin remake.
Yeah, you're not missing much. The original is a great movie and the fight scenes are awesome, not only because of the way they're shot and the level of brutality, but they fit with the setting of the country they're in. Korea have very restrictive gun laws, hence no one is carrying firearms but are instead armed with blugdeoning tools. What I hoped would happen in the remake was that they would go by the same reasoning when Brolin got realeased into the US. Go with what's easily available. If there's a chance to get guns, get guns. But also realize that they run out of ammo and that they then work very well as clubs. Instead they go straight for the most famous scene, he grabs a hammer and then it's just a bad recreation.